Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR)
Today, corporate social responsibility (CSR) is on the lips of most significant businesses worldwide, including Gilbert + Tobin and our clients. It means that businesses, like Gilbert + Tobin and our clients, are engaging seriously with the social and environmental impacts of their operations both internally and in the marketplaces and societies in which they operate. This presents both challenges and opportunities at Gilbert + Tobin.
Through our corporate social responsibility (CSR) programs we:
- develop and deliver programs to monitor, continually improve and report on our environmental performance to our key clients, and to the public
- work to ensure that our staff are as diverse as the broader Australian community and that we fulfil our commitments to our people
- work to ensure the justice system is accessible to everyone by helping parts of the community who cannot afford legal assistance
- develop and deliver programs that strengthen our business’ connection with communities with whom we have relationships
- work to offer the benefits of our commitment to environmental and social sustainability to our clients
- work with our suppliers of goods and services to achieve better environmental and social sustainability by managing our procurement processes
- maintain an open work place where staff are encouraged to commit to causes, and we provide the flexibility to enable them to do that.
Our CSR programs focus on three streams – reconciliation, community programs and the environmental performance. We have a number of programs within these streams which give staff the opportunity to make contributions, and encourage our clients to value CSR.
The integrity and strength of these values in our business is regularly acknowledged by our peers. We have been awarded the Corporate Citizen Law Firm of the Year at the 2008 and 2009 Australasian Law Awards. This recognition, teamed with our other awards for Sydney Firm of the Year for the third consecutive year (2007, 2008 and 2009), Managing Partner of the Year (2008), M&A Deal of the Year (2009) and Australasian Deal of the Year (2009), show that it is possible to combine ambition with heart in the contemporary competitive business world.