Banking and Finance
“Gilbert + Tobin is rated for ‘outstanding service’, ‘attention to detail’, and its ‘ability to manage complex legal and commercial issues’” Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2013
In a competitive commercial environment, you need a careful approach to financing to achieve your goals. Operational and strategic decisions require resourceful thinking based on sound industry-specific knowledge. To succeed, businesses must also be aware of developments in other industries which might impact upon your business environment.
Our Banking and Finance Group advise leading Australian and international financial institutions, investment banks, corporations and private equity funds. We combine a thorough understanding of Australian and international financial markets with a strong commercial focus and project management abilities to achieve our clients’ financial objectives.
Our Finance lawyers work closely with the members of the Corporate Transactions Group to provide seamless, integrated advice and transaction management. We also work closely with our Competition and Regulation Group to deliver favourable outcomes for clients requiring competition and regulatory advice.
Having acted regularly for lenders, borrowers, arrangers and investors, our lawyers understand the different commercial drivers and draw on that experience to ensure our clients’ business objectives are met, and within the required timeframes. We are able to anticipate key legal and commercial issues likely to arise in any financial transaction and then guide our clients through them.
The members of our Banking and Finance Group have strong experience in both domestic financing and cross-border transactions. Most of our finance lawyers have also practised at some time in other jurisdictions, including Europe, Asia and the United States, and in in-house situations.
Our banking and finance services include:
- acquisition finance – including corporate mergers and acquisitions, and leveraged and management buyouts
- corporate finance – general matters, including syndicated and refinancing facilities
- debt capital markets and securitisation – on various programme establishments, drawdowns, credit-wrapped notes, US private placements and Islamic bonds
- project finance and public-private partnerships (PPP) – debt and equity financing arrangements, project formation, structure and implementation for a range of projects including PPPs, special infrastructure, property development, transport, power and energy, mining and resources, and oil and gas
- reconstruction and corporate recovery – advising on standstill arrangements, debt for equity swaps, security enforcement and intercreditor arrangements
- structured finance – asset finance, mezzanine finance, tax-effective finance structures, off-balance sheet structures and stapled and synthetic securities.
Please click here to see our recent experience.
Gilbert + Tobin’s Banking & Finance practice is currently expanding. We are seeking candidates who are interested in working in this exciting and growing area of the firm’s business. For more information on opportunities, please contact Rob McDonnell, James Lewis or John Schembri.
Partners and Special Counsel