“They are very strong on client care and commerciality. They make themselves available, are service oriented, collaborative and take ownership.” Chambers Asia Pacific, 2014
To perform on the global stage, capital markets participants must be adept at integrating with international standards. Yet Australian companies should not lose sight of their own goals or the financial and legal parameters within their own jurisdiction. To successfully navigate these challenges, you need legal advisers skilled in interpreting existing and developing legal requirements combined with a strong awareness of commercial realities.
Our Capital Markets team advise listed companies and funds, financial advisers and their clients, underwriters and institutional investors across the range of Australian capital markets transactions. Providing commercial advice and outcomes, we ensure our clients are kept informed and feel in control throughout the process.
We are renowned for providing innovative and groundbreaking advice on new and existing financial structures and financial products. We have acted for many listed corporations in their debt and equity capital markets transactions as well as placements and hybrid issues. We have excellent working relationships with the Australian Securities & Investments Commission, the Australian Securities Exchange and the Australian Prudential Regulatory Authority.
Our capital markets services include:
- conducting initial public offerings
- establishing and structuring listed and unlisted managed funds
- advising on secondary offerings including rights issues (including accelerated entitlement offers), private placements, share purchase plans and DRP underwritings
- advising on the structuring of complex capital instruments, such as debenture and hybrid offerings
- advising on capital management strategies, including buy-backs and capital reductions.
- debt capital markets and securitisation – on various programme establishments, drawdowns, credit-wrapped notes, US private placements and Islamic bonds.
Our team has also worked closely with investment bank advisers and corporate management to advise on a number of public-to-private transactions.
- Spotless Group Holdings Limited: as the issuer on its proposed IPO.
- Goldman Sachs, CBA, Macquarie and UBS: as joint lead managers on the IPO of Genworth Mortgage Insurance Australia Limited.
- Burson: as the issuer on its successful $298 million IPO.
- Goldman Sachs: as the underwriter on BOQ’s equity raising to fund its proposed acquisition of Investec Australia’s specialist finance and leasing businesses, valued at $440 million.
- Credit Suisse and Baillieu Holst: as underwriters of Equity Trustees Limited’s recent $123 million accelerated non-renounceable entitlement offer and $37 million institutional placement. Equity Trustees Limited will utilise the proceeds to fund the acquisition of ANZ Trustees Limited.
- Nine Entertainment Co.: on its $636 million initial public offering. This is one of the most significant and largest IPOs of 2013.
- Goldman Sachs and Morgan Stanley: as underwriters ton the $454.2 million IPO of SG Fleet.
- Alinta Holdings: on its $1.6 billion refinancing and $464 million equity raising.
- Cover-More: advised the travel insurance and medical assistance company on its $635 million IPO.
- Goldman Sachs and Macquarie: as the lead managers on the $344.5 million IPO of Dick Smith Electronics.
- PEP funds III and IV: on their $1.3 billion interest in the IPO of Veda.
- Credit Suisse: on the $60 million institutional placement as part of Cockatoo Coal’s $153 million equity raising.
- Morgan Stanley and UBS: as the lead managers on the $338.7 million Virtus Health IPO.
- Hotel Property Investments: advising the Independent Directors of Hotel Property Investments on the proposed $266-286 million IPO.
- Sundance: on its $40 million through the issue of convertible notes to the Noble Group.
- Goldman Sachs: on its underwriting of IRESS’ $206 million 2 for 9 renounceable entitlement offer. The proceeds of which will be used partly to fund IRESS’ acquisition of Avelo Financial Services in the UK.
- Goldman Sachs: on the underwritten placement for Envestra.
- Silver Lake Resources Limited: on its recent $47.5 million raising via an underwritten placement.
Partners and Special Counsel
Other Team Members
Reuben van Werkum