“This team maintains a leading position through the breadth of its expertise across the whole private equity life cycle. It has handled some of the largest transactions of recent times, and notable clients.” Chambers Asia Pacific, 2012
Gilbert + Tobin has been at the forefront of developments in the private equity and financial sponsors space since its emergence in Australia in the late 1990s. We have deep experience dealing with the key issues that drive financial sponsors’ businesses: funds management and fiduciary concerns; a dominant focus on cash and efficient capital structures; financial and operational leverage; close working relationships with portfolio company managers and superior transaction execution. In the structures, advice, diligence and agreements we prepare, we maintain a clear focus on these key commercial issues.
Our private equity and financial sponsors team is regarded as one of the leading advisers to private equity funds and other financial buyers and funds managers in Australia. We have been involved in many of the market-shaping private equity transactions in Australia in the last 10 years. From fund establishment to management and leveraged buy outs, we blend traditional corporate law skills with an understanding of the needs of private equity investors.
Our team works seamlessly with regulated M&A experts to help solve complex public to private transactions as well as our banking & finance experts who look at the strategic and financial needs of our clients and work with the financial sponsors to help achieve these objectives. We bring disciplined, effective and experienced management to large structured deals, while remaining flexible and open to novel opportunities.
Our private equity and financial sponsors services include:
- providing highly developed governing documents and advising on the establishment of private equity, infrastructure and other funds
- advising LPs on investments in Australian funds (and relevant offshore parallel fund vehicles)
- negotiating and documenting a range of investment transactions and subsequent divestment transactions (LBOs, MBOs, trade sales, mergers or floats). We have particular expertise in follow-on transactions and the legal and commercial issues they raise, including where follow-on investment comes from different funds within the financial sponsor’s franchise
- acting for both financial sponsors and lending banks on leveraged acquisitions and leveraged joint ventures
- advising the boards of portfolio companies, sponsors and banks on recapitalisations and refinancings of leveraged transactions
- advising on the full range of public market transactions including PIPES, P2Ps and joint ventures with publicly listed companies
- structuring Management Equity Plans
- foreign investment advice and clearances
- providing best of breed, market-accepted transaction documentation
- undertaking vendor and acquisition legal due diligence with a focus on financial sponsor’s issues including the range of issues of typical concern for acquisition financiers.
Please click here to see our recent experience
Partners and Special Counsel
Jessica van Rooy
Other Team Members