Real Estate and Projects
“They know their business very well and are very customer-focused to make sure that the client gets the best outcome to meet their business needs.” Chambers Asia Pacific, 2014
Our starting point is the commercial goal you set for your real estate or infrastructure project.
We’ve guided clients through many of Australia’s largest and most complex projects – and a wide range of real estate transactions. We present practical, cost-effective solutions by drawing on our mix of legal expertise and commercial, strategic and negotiating skills.
We see property as part of the big picture. Our specialists collaborate with transaction, finance and tax experts to come up with seamless answers to complex questions. And if you need interstate or national advice – we can harness the right adviser at the right time.
Our nimble team is there to help you manage all the issues you’ll face at each stage – including the ones you weren’t expecting. We understand those issues from all sides because we work with:
- developers, owners and construction companies
- investors, financiers and fund managers
- hotel and tourism businesses
- federal, state and local government bodies
- health, energy, communications and media operators.
- project structuring
- staged and non-staged developments
- front and back-end construction
- project finance
- project management and co-ordination
- real property acquisitions and disposals
- environment and planning
- climate change
- joint ventures
Our recent experience
- AREVA – advising AREVA on the construction of a multi million dollar solar thermal addition to the 750MW Kogan Creek Power Station.
- Brookfield Multiplex – advising Brookfield Multiplex on real estate developments including the sale of strata title lots and all related property advice as well as acting for Brookfield Multiplex in defence of complex Supreme Court proceedings in relation to the construction of a number of high end multi-storey residential buildings.
- GrainCorp Limited – advising on property aspects and environment and planning issues relating to GrainCorp’s acquisition of the United Malt Holdings group.
- Holcim Limited – advising international company Holcim Limited on all environment and planning issues’ for the acquisition of CEMEX in relation to environment and planning issues arising from quarry and concrete batching plants throughout Australia. Extensive review and advice on Aboriginal heritage species environment protection and planning (Part 3 A and Part 4) laws in NSW and WA.
- Infigen Energy Development Pty Ltd – advising Infigen on the construction and development of the Capital Wind Farm and the adjoining Woodlawn Wind Farm project. Gilbert + Tobin are advising on: project structure, property aspects (including options for lease and easements required for the Woodlawn Wind Farm), financing, facility construction, environment and planning and power purchase.
- NSW Maritime:
- advising NSW Maritime (a government authority) on a number of key redevelopments on Sydney Harbour, including Blackwattle Bay, Superyachts Marina Rozelle Bay, Rose Bay Marina, Point Piper Marina and Wentworth Park.
- advising NSW Maritime on a Wharf Access Deed with the Department of Transport and Infrastructure for the licence of 49 commuter ferry wharves in Sydney Harbour and in the Parramatta River.
- NSW Treasury – advising NSW Treasury on the property and environment and planning aspects relating to the proposed privatisation of WSN Environment Solutions.
- One of Australia’s 4 major banks – advising on the design, construction and operation of its new metropolitan data centre in the state of New South Wales, and the redevelopment of one of its existing data centres.
- Solar Flagship Program – advising bidders on the construction on multi million dollar solar thermal plants under the Federal Government’s Solar Flagship Program.
- Telstra Corporation – advising on the due diligence of a portfolio of over 3000 properties Australia-wide for Telstra, and general leasing matters across Australia and sale of exchange building.
- The GoodStart Syndicate – advising The GoodStart Syndicate on property aspects relating to the sale of over 650 childcare centres across Australia from the receivers and managers of ABC Learning Centres.
- Twynam Agricultural Group:
- advising on the sale of rural land and associated water rights.
- advising on its sale of river water entitlements to the Commonwealth Government for $303 million – the single largest purchase of water for the environment in Australia’s history, which has resulted in the NSW Government placing an embargo on further environmental trades to the Commonwealth. We advised on both the disposal of water access licences and share component attached to water access licences.
- advising on the sale of 48,000 ha of rural properties.
- advising on the sale of properties in Colly Cotton business.
- Westpac Funds Management Limited – advising Westpac Funds Management Limited on the refurbishment of the IBM Cumberland Forest site (West Pennant Hills, NSW).
- Woollahara Municipal Council – advising Woollahra Municipal Council on the redevelopment of the Cosmopolitan Centre, Double Bay by way of the surrender of an existing long term lease, the subdivision of the building into stratum lots and the grant of 99 year leases over some of those stratum lots.
Partners and Special Counsel
Ben Fuller||Amanda Hempel||Diane Skapinker
Other Team Members