Restructuring and Insolvency
"I have the highest regard for the team, which did an outstanding job on a pioneering and difficult transaction." Chambers Asia-Pacific 2012
In a rapidly changing market, corporate restructures and insolvency are increasingly common, driving considerable activity in this space, with both small and large organisations being severely affected. To ensure the best possible outcomes are achieved during a time of high uncertainty, expert legal advice is crucial.
The ability to provide timely commercial advice, guidance and support is our strength. Our Restructuring + Insolvency group works closely with our Corporate Advisory, Banking + Finance and Litigation teams to ensure our clients receive a seamless service that meets their requirements and provides the best solution.
Our restructuring and insolvency services include:
- restructuring and workouts
- corporate insolvency
- directors’ duties
- employment issues
- formal insolvency appointments
- insolvency disputes
- voluntary administrations.
Our Restructuring + Insolvency group is dynamic and valued for its pragmatic, commercial and partner–led service. The team has been awarded the ALB Insolvency and Restructuring Deal of the Year award for the last three years.
We have extensive experience in advising and acting in relation to disputes and applications arising in restructures and workouts, voluntary administrations, liquidations and receiverships.
We advise banks, borrowers, investors and directors, as well as many leading insolvency practitioners in relation to all types of insolvency administrations. We also regularly advise and act for creditors, directors, lenders and investors facing issues arising from corporate insolvency including insolvent trading claims and actions in relation to insolvent transactions.
Dominic Emmett who heads the group has been consistently ranked as one of Australia’s leading insolvency and restructuring lawyers in major legal directories including Chambers Global for Restructuring/Insolvency.
- Nine Entertainment Group – Advising Nine Entertainment Group Holdings Pty Ltd, its subsidiaries and the board of directors in relation to the debt restructure implemented in February 2013.
- BOSI Corporate Loan Portfolio – Acting for a fund bidder, Davidson Kempner.
- Top Ryde Shopping Centre – Advising the bank syndicate to the Top Ryde City Shopping Centre and McGrathNicol as receivers and managers during the course of the receivership and with respect to the successful process to sell the debt in the centre to Blackstone.
- DFO Canberra – advising on the receivership and sale strategy.
- Lloyds/Bank of Scotland International (Australia) Limited/Uberior – Advising in relation to a shareholder dispute and possible insolvency issues.
- MF Global – Acting as Australian advisors to the UK special administrators.
- Griffin Energy Group – First acting for the majority landholders (including Clearwater) and thereafter acting for the Deed Administrators, Korda Mentha, on the sale of the Group’s coal assets and in relation to various disputes with creditors and shareholders.
- River City – Acting as conflicts counsel for the receivers and managers of the RiverCity Motorway on O+M issues.
- Blue Star – Advising the board of the Blue Star Group Australia entities in relation to debt restructure issues and the sale process.
- Steel-Line – Acting in relation to the debt restructure and buy back.
- Lane Cove Tunnel – Advising BNY Mellon on the receivership of the Lane Cove Tunnel and liquidation of the Lane Cove Tunnel Entities.
- Reliance Rail – Advising Reliance Rail on the refinancing of Australia’s largest PPP – valued at $3.6 billion – between the NSW government and Downer EDI including the rolling stock PPP contract, credit wrapped bonds and bank debt, to deliver the Waratah trains on the City Rail network.
Please click here for further details of our recent experience.
Partners and Special Counsel
Other Team Members