Australia’s communications sector, like many around the globe, is undergoing significant change. Gilbert + Tobin’s Telecommunications team has been at the coal-face of the industry since its deregulation in the 1990s. Today, both providers and customers across the Asia Pacific turn to us to advise on their most complex, and often first-of-a-kind telecommunications-related transactions.
Working on a mix of regulatory and commercial matters, our team caters for domestic and international telecommunications issues, including infrastructure development, access and sharing; regulatory design and strategy; outsourcing and commercial arrangements; acquisitions, joint ventures and alliances; licensing and compliance; digital business; electronic marketing strategies; net neutrality; and dispute resolution.
We also work actively on issues involving convergence and new media, such as IPTV and mobile streaming.
- Telstra on the NBN and redesign of Australia’s telecommunications regulatory regime.
- Maxis Communications Berhad on IPTV partnership with Astro.
- Maxis Communications Berhad on Malaysia’s first active 3G Radio Access Network sharing agreement.
- PT XL Axiata, one of the largest mobile operators in Indonesia, in relation to the ongoing acquisition of various complex and large-scale services and products from international equipment vendors and service providers.
- World Bank on telecommunications liberalisation and international best practice in Timor Leste.
Partners and Special Counsel
Other Team Members