Neil Pathak, Partner
+61 3 8656 3344
+61 3 8656 3339
Neil Pathak, Partner
Neil specialises in listed company takeovers, schemes of arrangement, cross border M&A, mining/resources, capital markets and corporate governance matters having over 20 years of experience in these fields.
Best Lawyers named him Melbourne’s Corporate Lawyer of the Year and M&A Lawyer of the Year in 2013 and 2012.
He is recognised as a leading Australian M&A lawyer in all key international publications including Best Lawyers, Chambers, PLC Which Lawyer?, Legal 500 and International Who’s Who of M&A Lawyers.
Neil has recently advised on the following transactions:
- Aurora Oil & Gas on its $2.6 billion takeover by Baytex Energy via scheme of arrangement.
- Little Group (owned by Paul Little) on its takeover of Real Estate Corp.
- Aquis on its proposed $275 million takeover of the Reef Casino Trust and Canberra Casino and $4.2 billion development of an integrated resort/casino/hotel complex in Cairns.
- Wesfarmers on its proposed acquisition of Greencap by scheme of arrangement.
- SP AusNet in relation to the $824 million sell-down of 20% of SP AusNet by its major shareholder, Singapore Power, to State Grid of China.
- Waterberg Coal Company on its successful unsolicited takeover bid for Firestone Energy.
- iSelect on its initial public offer.
- Orica’s innovative gas supply arrangements with Strike Energy.
- NewSat’s capital raising in relation to the construction of its Jabiru-1 satellite.
- Westpac and Hastings Funds Management in relation to the $2 billion sale of infrastructure assets to the Future Fund and management internalisation proposal.
- DuluxGroup on its successful unsolicited takeover bid for Alesco.
- Orica on its Pilbara joint venture with Yara and Apache to build a US$800 million ammonium nitrate plant and its distribution and marketing joint venture.
- Exxaro Resources on its successful takeover of African Iron.
- Pact Group on various acquisitions and disposals.
- Orica and Dulux Group on the $1 billion demerger and ASX listing of DuluxGroup.
- Pure Energy on the competing takeover bids for it by BG plc and Arrow Energy resulting in the company being acquired for over $1 billion.
- OZ Minerals on its US$1.4 billion asset sale to China Minmetals and related takeover and recapitalisation proposals.
- MYOB on its takeover by Manhattan Software, a private equity consortium.
- Coles on its $22 billion takeover by Wesfarmers (Australia’s largest ever takeover).
- Orica on its acquisition of Dyno Nobel in a consortium with Macquarie Bank for US$1.7 billion.
Neil has previously authored the leading text on Australian takeovers, Takeovers Law and Strategy and is the principal author of the State of the M&A Nation and G+T’s annual Takeovers and Schemes Review.
Neil has bachelor degrees in Law (with First Class Honours) and Commerce (Finance major) from the University of Melbourne. He also has a Post Graduate Diploma in Applied Finance and Investment. He lectures in takeovers and securities laws at the University of Melbourne and is a member of the Corporations Committee of the Law Council of Australia.