+61 3 8656 3351
+61 3 8656 3339
Ben Macdonald, Partner
Ben specialises in mergers and acquisitions and corporate transactions in the energy and resources sector, including joint ventures, asset purchases and sales, initial public offerings and corporate and project fundraisings.
Prior to joining Gilbert + Tobin, Ben worked in Deutsche Bank’s Metals and Mining team and previously worked in Macquarie Capital Advisers’ Natural Resources Group. Prior to working at Macquarie, Ben was a senior associate at a leading Australian law firm. Ben has also practised in London with a leading ’Magic Circle’ law firm.
Ben has advised on a number of key energy and resources transactions including:
- CGNPC led consortium’s ~ £632 million offer for Kalahari Minerals and A$2.2 billion follow-on offer for Extract Resources.
- Tata Steel’s response to Rio Tinto’s A$3.9 billion offer for Riversdale Mining.
- Xstrata’s A$514 million takeover offer for Sphere Minerals.
- Babcock & Brown Infrastructure’s A$1.5 billion recapitalisation and sale of a 49.9% interest in DBCT to Brookfield Asset Management for A$295 million.
- Bandanna Energy’s A$22.5 million placement to SAMTAN.
- Newcrest Mining’s US$535 million investment in Harmony Gold Mining’s PNG assets and formation of a joint venture with Harmony Gold Mining.
- Centennial Coal’s sale of the Anvil Hill and Tahmoor coal mines for A$1.1 billion.
- Orica’s purchase of Dyno Nobel in a consortium with Macquarie Bank for US$1.7 billion.