Go to our Contact Us page to get in touch
Indigenous Cadetship Program
Each year, we invite Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander law students to apply for the Gilbert + Tobin Indigenous Cadetship Program in our Sydney office.
It’s a fantastic introduction to life in a law firm, and covers legal administration and research skills, as well as practice area rotations. Cadets work in our Sydney office, usually for one to two days a week during semester and additional days during semester break. There’s lots of flexibility built into the program around your availability each semester and during holidays. There’s a big focus on your individual career planning, as well as mentoring and professional development. Some of the highlights of choosing a cadetship with Gilbert + Tobin include:
- Working with us throughout the year means you develop strong networks and have the opportunity to contribute meaningfully to our business outcomes
- Lots of flexibility around your availability each semester, with the ability to take leave for exams and family commitments
- Individual career development support, including intensive assistance with clerkship and exploring graduate employment
- Regular professional development training in the skills you need to thrive as a paralegal and later as a graduate lawyer
- Joining a large team of cadets working together in our Sydney office
- One-on-one mentoring with a range of dynamic lawyers across a range of practice areas throughout your time with us
- A staged program of work experience that is responsive to your level of experience, including working as a paralegal in our client facing practice groups
- Opportunity for select cadets to attend the National Indigenous Lawyers Conference each year
The aim of our cadetship program is to address the underrepresentation of Indigenous peoples in the legal profession. A 2014 survey of the legal profession conducted by the NSW Law Society found that Indigenous people make up 0.8% of the legal professional nationally, yet Indigenous peoples comprise 3% of the population. We encourage our cadets to explore careers as practicing lawyers and work closely with cadets to explore graduate employment options in the legal profession.
The Gilbert + Tobin Indigenous Cadetship Program is open to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Australians at any stage of their degrees. The part-time ongoing nature of work experience under the cadetships means that it will be most relevant to students of the University of New South Wales, University of Sydney, University of Technology Sydney, University of Western Sydney and Macquarie University. We also welcome applications from students at the University of Wollongong or University of Newcastle, provided you’re up for the commute!
If you are currently in your penultimate year and looking to secure graduate employment you should apply to our seasonal clerkship program. Many of our seasonal clerks progress into graduate roles. Outside of clerkship, we also recruit lateral graduates to our Sydney office on an as-needs basis. For more information about Sydney lateral graduate opportunities, please contact Kristie Barton on (02) 9263 4575.
Find out more
Applications open 1 May 2017 and close 30 June 2017. For more information please call Eloise Schnierer on (02) 9263 4497 or Melissa Gavagna on (02) 9263 4149.