Solving planning and environmental challenges is as much about people as law. With qualifications in town planning, environmental science and architecture, and experience advising in all jurisdictions across Australia, our team works effectively with all the key stakeholders to get the job done.
Our Planning and Environment team has a proven track record advising on the development of large scale commercial, residential, mixed use and infrastructure projects across Australia, including the urban environments of Sydney and Melbourne. Our clients include corporations, investors, government, investment banks, financial service institutions and Australia’s leading national banks.
We understand how important it is for our clients to meet their commercial objectives cost effectively and in parallel with their corporate environmental responsibilities.
- Contaminated Land – We see contaminated land issues as part of the bigger commercial picture. With our technical expertise and regulatory experience we guide our clients through the complex web of legal, regulatory and reputational risk issues to implement a successful contaminated land strategy.
- Environmental Due Diligence – As part of a firm that works on many of Australia’s largest, most complex and most watched M&A deals, our environmental team provides practical advice to identify the real planning and environmental risks arising from transactions in all jurisdictions across Australia.
- Waste – We understand the commercial drivers behind the waste industry sector in Australia and the landscape within which the key stakeholders operate. We regularly advise government and corporate clients on environmental liabilities associated with large scale acquisition and disposal of waste assets, approval pathways for waste projects and options to resolve operational compliance issues.
- Renewable Energy – We provide strategic planning and environmental advice to renewable energy developers and investors in relation to all aspects of renewable projects (such as solar, wind and biomass) across Australia.
- Energy and Resources – Our team provides strategic planning and environmental advice to leading mining and energy companies on all aspects of the approval pathway, land access and operational compliance issues.
- Planning – Whether it is drafting submissions in response to strategic planning documents, advising on the adequacy of environmental impact assessment, negotiating conditions of planning approval or successfully litigating to obtain planning approval we never lose sight of our client’s commercial objective.
- Environmental – Our environmental services include advising on all aspects of environmental approval pathways, adequacy of environmental assessment, director’s liability for environmental incidents, water rights, climate change law, strategic advice in relation to regulatory investigations and enforcement action for pollution incidents and defending pollution prosecutions.
- Pacific Equity Partners – on contamination and environmental risks in connection with its $1.1 billion acquisition of Spotless Group Limited.
- Australia’s Major Banks – advising the financiers to the successful consortium’s bid to carry out the $1.1 billion Sydney International Convention, Exhibition and Entertainment Precinct Project on planning and environmental risk issues associated with the project.
- FRV – advising FRV, one of the leading global solar developers, on planning and environment approvals strategy for its Royalla Solar Farm Project in the ACT. Once built it will be the largest PV asset operating in Australia.
- Orica – on rights and obligations under clean energy legislation in respect of its US$800 million joint venture to build an industrial grade ammonium nitrate plant in the Pilbara, Western Australia.
- Remondis – advising Remondis, one of the world’s leading waste organisations, on environmental, planning and climate change aspects of its waste business in Australia including environmental due diligence relating to the $218 million acquisition of Thiess Services Pty Ltd waste business.