Albert advises corporate and government clients on a broad range of corporate, commercial and technology and telecommunications transactions and projects. He advises clients on outsourcings, IT transformation, digitisation initiatives, managed services, systems integrations, cloud services arrangements, as well as network infrastructure rollouts, sharing, build and support. Albert also regularly advises on intellectual property, agile contracting, privacy, big data, cybersecurity and emerging technology issues, as well as corporate support and advising on transitional services and business separation issues. He has a wealth of experience working in Australia and throughout South East Asia, the Middle East and the United States working on complex telecommunications and technology transactions.
- advising a large telecommunications provider in various technology transactions, including setting up its cloud computing infrastructure services offerings, provision of a cloud-based over-the-top media content solution platform to a client in Singapore (involving multiple global media partners and subcontractors), advising on its core IT infrastructure and AD&M agreements and other complex technology procurements.
- advising a major Australian and Asian airline company in connection with procurement, licensing and implementation of a new wifi connectivity solution for its entire Australian domestic airline fleet and trials for certain international routes, as well as implementation and licensing of a wireless in-flight entertainment services solution for its subsidiary airline for use in new international routes in Asia.
- advising a large Thai insurance company with the strategy, RFP, contract development and contract negotiation in connection with its core technology and business process transformation programme.
- advising a large regional integrated infrastructure and logistics provider with the licensing, build, implementation and support of a ‘whole of department’ warehouse work management system for provision to an Australian government department.
- advising various energy and resources, transport and logistics and infrastructure services companies on various complex ERP systems arrangements, cloud-based data analytics software licensing and implementations, telecommunications and network services procurements and managed services arrangements.
- advising a major telecommunications operator in Myanmar in relation to complex telecommunications network infrastructure deployment (including rollout of the first 4G/LTE network in Myanmar), satellite services arrangements, mobile money, fibre sharing, tower co-location, sponsorship arrangements and various technology transactions against multiple suppliers and operators, including undertaking various short term assignments on-site in Yangon, Myanmar.
- advising various APAC telecommunications operators in connection with number of managed services transactions, including relating to its network/field operations (valued over US$1.2 billion), its digital merchant business and value added services and its IT infrastructure, 2G/3G/4G network infrastructure rollouts and network support arrangements, billing and CRM system implementation and upgrades, microwave and IN procurements, cloud computing, OTT implementation arrangements, AD&M, licensing, resale and alliance arrangements.
Albert has worked in-house on senior legal secondments with telecommunications and technology clients in Australia and Asia. Albert has worked at Gilbert + Tobin since 2004, except for a period of almost 4 years (2006-2010) where he practised as an Of Counsel attorney in Los Angeles for a top-tier TMT team of Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP. Prior to this, Albert worked for an international law firm in Sydney and the New South Wales Court of Appeal in 1999. Albert was a Singapore-Australia Young Business Ambassador (2003) and recipient of the LAWASIA Young Lawyers Award in 2003.
Professional recognition and memberships
Albert is recognised as a 'Next Generation Lawyer' in the IT and Telecoms category in Australia by Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2017.
Albert is a member of the State Bar of California and the Law Institute Victoria.
Albert holds a LL M (Media, Communications and Information Technology Law) from the University of New South Wales, a Master of International Studies from the University of Sydney, a Bachelor of Laws from the University of Technology, Sydney and a Bachelor of Social Science from the University of New South Wales. He is dual law qualified in USA (California) and Australia.