Andrew is a partner in Gilbert + Tobin's Disputes + Investigations group.
He advises his clients in large scale commercial dispute resolution, regulatory investigations and prosecutions and minimising reputational exposure.
Andrew has acted on a number of significant disputes and investigations in matters across a range of sectors including banking and finance, energy, telecommunications, health, education, retail, entertainment, manufacturing and resources, before superior State and Federal Courts and Tribunals and before regulators. Andrew has acted on strategic disputes and investigations for Westpac, Google, Anglo American, Department of Health, Telstra, AGL and Garuda Airlines among others.
Andrew’s has advised extensively in relation to investigations by a range of regulators including ASIC, the ACCC, the ATO, TEQSA, ASQA, the PSR in Health and Fair Trading. Andrew has extensive experience advising on Royal Commissions including The Commonwealth and its departments and agencies in their response to the Royal Commission into Aged Care Quality and Safety; Westpac Group on their response to the Royal Commission into Misconduct in the Banking, Superannuation and Financial Services Industry; The Commonwealth Attorney General’s Department and the Office of the Royal Commission in assisting to conduct the public inquiry into the alleged mistreatment of children at youth detention centres in the Northern Territory; and representing the Truth Justice and Healing Council, before the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse.
Andrew's experience includes:
- Acting for the Commonwealth and its departments and agencies in their response to the Royal Commission into Aged Care Quality and Safety.
- Advising Westpac and in particular Bankers Trust (its wealth division) on their response to the Royal Commission into Misconduct in the Banking, Superannuation and Financial Services Industry and other investigations.
- Advising the Commonwealth Attorney General’s Department and the Office of the Royal Commission in assisting to conduct the public inquiry into the alleged mistreatment of children at youth detention centres in the Northern Territory.
- Representing the Catholic Church's Truth Justice and Healing Council, including numerous Archdioceses, religious orders and various dioceses in public hearings and document production before the Royal Commission.
- Advising a tertiary education institution in a dispute in relation to its application for renewal of their registration and course accreditations to the education regulator (TEQSA).
- Acting for Anglo Coal in relation to a multi-billion dollar action against power stations in the Supreme Court of Queensland.
Awards and Recognition
Andrew was named as a leading individual in Class Action, Litigation, Competition Law, Information Technology and Telecommunications Law.
Andrew is recommended for Dispute resolution and Regulatory compliance and investigations.
Legal 500 Asia Pacific notes he is ‘attentive, strategic and results-oriented,’ ‘analytical, calm in a crisis’ and has ‘the gut instinct of a great litigator’.