Andrew is a partner in Gilbert + Tobin's Disputes + Investigations group.
He advises clients on resolving complex disputes, navigating regulatory investigations and prosecutions, and minimising reputational exposure.
Andrew has assisted clients through investigations conducted by ASIC, the ACCC, the ATO, TEQSA, ASQA, the PSR in Health and Fair Trading amongst others. Andrew also has extensive expertise in engaging with and responding to Royal Commissions. His experience includes acting for Telstra in the Bushfires Royal Commission; the Commonwealth Government and multiple departments in responding to both the Disability Royal Commission and Aged Care Royal Commission; the Westpac Group in its response to the Financial Services Royal Commission; and as Solicitor Assisting the Northern Territory Royal Commission into Don Dale, amongst others.
Andrew has achieved successful outcomes in significant disputes and investigations across a range of sectors including financial services, energy, telecommunications, ecommerce, health, education, retail, entertainment, manufacturing and resources for clients such as Westpac, Google, Telstra, the Commonwealth Government, the Commonwealth Bank of Australia, Anglo American, AGL, APA, Orica and Garuda Airlines.
Andrew's experience includes:
- Acting for Telstra in responding to the 2020 Bushfires Royal Commission.
- Acting for the Commonwealth and its departments and agencies in their response to the Royal Commission into Violence, Abuse, Neglect and Exploitation of People with Disability.
- Advising AGL in successfully prosecuting a large scale factually complex commercial dispute in the Supreme Court of Queensland and the Court of Appeal.
- Acting for the Commonwealth and its departments and agencies in their response to the Royal Commission into Aged Care Quality and Safety.
- Advising Westpac and in particular Bankers Trust (its wealth division) on their response to the Royal Commission into Misconduct in the Banking, Superannuation and Financial Services Industry and other investigations.
- Advising the Commonwealth Attorney General’s Department and the Office of the Royal Commission in assisting to conduct the public inquiry into the alleged mistreatment of children at youth detention centres in the Northern Territory.
- Representing the Catholic Church's Truth Justice and Healing Council, including numerous Archdioceses, religious orders and various dioceses in public hearings and document production before the Royal Commission.
- Advising a tertiary education institution in a dispute in relation to its application for renewal of their registration and course accreditations to the education regulator (TEQSA).
- Acting for Anglo Coal in relation to a multi-billion dollar action against power stations in the Supreme Court of Queensland.
Awards and Recognition
Andrew was named as a Best Lawyer in Class Action Litigation, Competition Law, Information Technology Law, Telecommunications Law and Litigation.
Andrew is recommended for Dispute resolution and Regulatory compliance and investigations.
Legal 500 Asia Pacific notes he is ‘attentive, strategic and results-oriented,’ ‘analytical, calm in a crisis’ and has ‘the gut instinct of a great litigator’.
Our COVID-19 hub collates important coronavirus news, articles and legal advice on various aspects of COVID-19 on how it may impact your business.