Charles has deep experience in acting for investors, sponsors and corporates relation to complex and innovative transactions. In particular, Charles acts for some of Australia’s largest fund investors. Experience includes:
- Acting for funds managed by H.R.L Morrison on a number of transactions, including in the acquisition of AGL’s interest in Macarthur Wind Farm (2015).
- First State Super in a number of significant infrastructure investments (2016-2018).
- Acting for Infigen Energy on numerous investments and transactions, including the sale of the Manildra Solar Farm development (2017).
- Acting for REST Superannuation in relation to direct investments (2015-2018).
- Acting for the sellers on the $500 million sale of Bras’n’Things to Hanes (2018).
- Catalyst Investment Managers on a number of transactions including on their initial investment into and their subsequent successful exit from Moraitis by a sale of their investors to a Chinese investor (2013) and on the sale of Morris Corporation to Sodexo (2017).
- Acting on the initial acquisition of the LJ Hooker business (2009), in subsequent sale to a consortium of investors (2016) and its refinancing (2017).
- Acting for University of New South Wales on its quantum computing joint venture with the Commonwealth Government, CBA and Telstra (2017).
- Acting for the receivers for Oakville on the sale of Oakville business to Mitollo (2016).
- Acting for funds advised by Deutsche Bank’s Alternatives Assets Management in the acquisition of interests in Port of Geelong.
- I-MED on a number of corporate transactions, including sale of I-MED’s interest in GenesisCare during its debt restructure process (2011) and the acquisition of the NSW business of Capital Radiology (2017).
Charles has worked at Dickson Minto and Clifford Chance in the United Kingdom.
Charles is recognised by Chambers Asia Pacific for Private Equity where he was highlighted for his ability to "get to the core of an issue both from a commercial and a legal perspective" and to "problem-solve on his feet". Legal500 Asia Pacific 2014 also recognised Charles for being "world-class" in Corporate/M&A.
European School of Law and Economics, Masters of Law and Economics, 1994; University of Glasgow, LLM, 1994; and University of Glasgow, LLB, 1992.
+61 2 9263 4095