Charles has deep experience in acting for investors, sponsors and corporates both in relation to transactions and commercial advice. In particular, Charles acts for some of Australia’s largest fund investors. Experience includes:
- Acting for funds managed by H.R.L Morrison in the acquisition of AGL’s interest in Macarthur Wind Farm (2015).
- Acting on the sale to the LJ Hooker business to a consortium of investors (2016).
- Acting on the sale of the Jalco consumer products business to Pact Group.
- Acting for Infigen Energy on numerous investments.
- Quadrant on the $300 million acquisition of Zip Industries (2013).
- Advising management shareholders in the $93.5 million sale of Scottish Pacific Debtor Finance to Next Capital (2013).
- Catalyst Investment Managers on their successful exit from Moraitis by a sale of their investors to a Chinese investor (as well as acting for Catalyst on their initial investment into Moraitis) (2013).
- Quadrant Private Equity in its acquisition of CQMS, a mining products business (2012).
- RREEF Infrastructure in the acquisition of an interest in Port of Geelong (2011).
- Coates Hire on numerous acquisitions, including acquisitions from receiverships, business and asset acquisitions and company acquisitions.
- I-Med on the restructure and subsequent sale of their interest in GenesisCare, an Australian radiology and cardiology business (2010) and during its debt restructure process (2011).
- CPH Management Limited in the sale of its pastoral company, Consolidated Pastoral Company (CPC), in northern Australia to UK investment group, Terra Firma (2010).
Charles has worked at Dickson Minto and Clifford Chance in the United Kingdom.
Charles is recognised by Chambers Asia Pacific for Private Equity where he was highlighted for his ability to "get to the core of an issue both from a commercial and a legal perspective" and to "problem-solve on his feet". Legal500 Asia Pacific 2014 also recognised Charles for being "world-class" in Corporate/M&A.
European School of Law and Economics, Masters of Law and Economics, 1994; University of Glasgow, LLM, 1994; and University of Glasgow, LLB, 1992.
+61 2 9263 4095