Phil is a partner in Gilbert + Tobin’s Corporate Advisory group.
He has over 20 years’ experience specialising in superannuation law and financial services regulation.
Phil’s practice includes investment work for superannuation trustees, M&A transactions, successor fund transfers and superannuation litigation.
He has advised trustees of retail, industry, public sector and self-managed superannuation funds.
Phil has relationships with all key regulators, including APRA, and is regularly instructed by clients to provide strategic governance, regulatory and reporting advice. He also brings clients a wealth of experience regarding the intersection between life insurance and superannuation having advised many superannuation trustees on their life insurance arrangements.
Phil has a Bachelor of Laws (First Class Honours) from the University of Adelaide.
Phil's experience includes:
- Advising superannuation trustees in the Insignia Financial group regarding a ranged of regulatory issues, including defined benefit plans
- Advising OnePath Custodians in relation to ANZ’s sale of its wealth management business to IOOF, including a successor fund transfer of the main superannuation fund.
- AMIST Super – acting for the trustee of this super fund on a dispute with a material service provider
- Advising industry super funds regarding new investments with domestic and international mangers.
- Assisting the trustee of ExxonMobil Superannuation Plan regarding rectification proceedings, which were the longest running superannuation litigation in Australia.
Our expertise and solutions
for generating cleaner, greener futures
Read our analysis of Australian public mergers & acquisitions in 2022
Demand for sustainable practices is driving change across corporate Australia, find out the latest industry insights and decarbonising opportunities.