Sophie is one of Australia’s leading experts on Chinese foreign direct investment, with many years of experience and dual qualifications in Australia and China.
Equipped with a thorough understanding of both legal systems and their foreign investment and capital flow regimes, Sophie has helped many of China’s largest and fastest growing businesses expand and diversify into the Australian market.
Sophie’s experience as an associate judge in the Beijing No. 2 Intermediate Court, and as a corporate lawyer in Australia acting on public and private mergers and acquisitions, fundraising, and in relation to real estate investment trusts and joint ventures, has given her broad expertise in the agribusiness, energy and resources, financial services, healthcare/education and childcare, infrastructure and transport, and real estate sectors.
She takes great pride in being a trusted advisor to her clients, and in helping them navigate their way through the Australian and Chinese legal systems.
Sophie is fluent in both English and Mandarin (Native).
- Yancoal Australia - on its US$2.5 billion (A$3.2billion) equity raising to provide funding for 100% acquisation of Coal & Allied
- Ping An Insurance - advised the real estate investment arm of the company in acquiring a 50% interest in a joint venture to develop Sydney’s tallest office tower
- Fullshare Holdings - on the $77 million acquisition of 90% of childcare provider, Sparrow Early Learning
- Nanshan Group - on its $266 million equity investment in Virgin Australia Airlines
- A short-listed bidder - on acquiring Macquarie Generation’s power assets from the NSW Government
- Longluck Investment - in relation to its takeover bid to acquire all shares in ASX-listed Cuesta Coal Limited
- Beijing Energy - on its acquisition of Gullen Range solar farm and advised on its operation of Gullen Range wind Farm
- Shandong Gold - on it’s $227.5 million share subscription in Focus Minerals
LLB (Honours) (University of UNSW, 2007)
LLB (China University of Political Science & Law, 1994)