Our content, data and media experts advise on digital content, new media, privacy and data analytics issues on a daily basis.
We have unrivalled expertise and experience in the Asia Pacific region in acquisition, distribution and licensing of digital content in new and traditional media, social media and digital platform issues and data aggregation, data analytics and cloud-based deployments.Our content, data and media experts advise on digital content, new media, privacy and data analytics issues on a daily basis.
This experience ranges from acting for technology start-ups on all aspects of their growth to commercial and corporate structuring of large cross-border deals in the Asia Pacific region, including project management of international and local taxation, employment, competition, communications regulation and other regulatory and legal aspects of such deals.
Privacy and big data
Our privacy lawyers advise public and private sector clients on the application of Commonwealth and state privacy data protection, interception and security laws; data breaches; the impact of sector-specific privacy and data protection codes and other requirements; and cross-border privacy compliance.
Unlike many law firms, the group’s privacy experience reaches back before the commencement of the private sector privacy provisions in the Privacy Act 1988. It advises on commercial transactions for data mining companies and all aspects of privacy law (including contracting terms and risk analysis), and regularly helps clients develop, implement and review privacy compliance programs.
- Advising on content deals for Home Box Office Inc (including with Apple), Time Warner, Turner Broadcasting, Nine Network and Sony Universal.
- Astro - advising on IPTV services and distribution arrangements in Malaysia.
- Hometrack - advising in relation to its joint venture with Residex Australia. We negotiated agreements for the licensing from both shareholders of the trade marks, software and other technology necessary for the operation of the joint venture business.
- Google - advising on content related issues including copyright issues, privacy and data protection, access by law enforcement agencies, and limiting access to obscene and objectionable content.
- Nine Entertainment Co. - advising on the sale of the ACP Magazines business (ACP) to the Bauer Media Group, one of Europe’s leading magazine publishers.