Colleen is a senior partner of the Litigation group.
Colleen has extensive experience in commercial litigation, class actions litigation and proceedings involving insolvency issues and restructuring. She has over 25 years’ experience in all aspects of commercial litigation, including high profile and highly contested litigation and regulatory investigations. Her clients include major corporations, including US corporations. She is considered one of the pre-eminent commercial litigators in Australia. She is highly regarded for providing strategic advice, dealing with complex issues and obtaining commercial outcomes.
Colleen also has substantial experience in advising high profile directors and companies involved in investigations, Royal Commissions and litigation brought by ASIC, the ACCC and liquidators and administrators.
Colleen’s recent experience includes:
- Lead Partner - successfully acted for Google Inc (instructed directly by US parent) in defending proceedings brought by the ACCC regarding alleged misleading and deceptive conduct over sponsored links which appear on Google’s search result pages. This is one of the world’s leading cases in online advertising and the responsibility of search engines and Google was successful on all counts in the High Court of Australia.
- Lead partner - securing an AUD280 million settlement - the largest settlement of a misleading and deceptive conduct claim in Australian corporate history - for the RiverCity companies in proceedings against AECOM Australia in the Federal Court of Australia in relation to Brisbane’s Clem 7 Tunnel.
- Lead Partner - successfully represented RiverCity Services in defending a securities class action in the Federal Court of Australia for over AUD250 million.
- Lead Partner - currently acting for the BrisConnect Group in its claim in excess of $1 billion against Arup for misleading or deceptive conduct and negligence in undertaking the traffic forecasting for the AirportlinkM7. A class action had also been commenced by retail equity investors against Arup.
- Lead Partner - currently acting for Vocation Limited (in liquidation) in a multi-million dollar class action brought by the shareholders of Vocation Limited.
- Representing Lowe’s (US) in numerous proceedings against Woolworths in relation to the exit and unwinding of their joint venture hardware businesses, Masters and Home, Timber & Hardware.
- Advising companies and professional advisers involved in investigations and litigation by both the Australian and Securities Investments Commission (ASIC) and the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC), and also advising companies in respect of Schemes of Arrangements.
- Representing major corporates in complex joint venture, shareholder and contractual disputes and in major arbitrations.
Colleen holds a Bachelor of Economics (majoring in tax and accounting) and Bachelor of Laws (Hons) from the University of Sydney. She has also completed a Masters of Laws also at the University of Sydney specialising in Trade Practices (Parts IV and V) and Taxation.
+61 2 9263 4421