Gilbert + Tobin (G+T) understands that privacy and how we collect, use, disclose and protect your information is important to you. We are committed to ensuring the privacy of your information and to complying with the Australian Privacy Principles (APPs), which are contained in the Privacy Act 1988 (Privacy Act).
This policy details how we will collect, use and disclose “personal information” is information or an opinion (whether true or not) about an identified, or reasonably identifiable, individual.
1. What Personal Information does G+T collect and hold?
G+T is a leading independent corporate Australian law firm. The types of personal information that G+T collects will depend on the nature of your dealings with us. Please note that, while we seek to minimise the personal information we collect, if you do not provide us with the personal information we request, we may not be able to provide you with the services, information or other assistance you seek.
We may collect personal information from you where:
- you, or the company that you work for, engage our services (legal or otherwise);
- you, as the client, purchase or subscribe to client services offered on the G+T platform including “Smart Skills” and “Smart Counsel”;
- you subscribe to or opt-in to receiving a G+T newsletter or other form of G+T updates (such as our online publications);
- you subscribe to any of our websites (or sub-domains such as our Careers page) or to one of our mailing lists;
- you register for or attend a G+T seminar, webinar or other hosted event (virtual or in person);
- you correspond with our employees or Partners;
- you have business dealings with us (whether as one of our suppliers, or as a regulator we deal with, or in the context of a transaction);
- you, or the company that you work for, is a counterparty, or provides services to a counterparty, of our client;
- you attend an information session or recruitment event with us (e.g. a university careers event) (virtual or in person);
- you apply, or register your interest for, employment or a work placement opportunity with G+T (see section 8 of this policy);
- you otherwise provide our personal information to us, such as where you supply your business card to us; or
- it is required by law to do so.
For detailed information as to how we collect, use and disclose the personal information of job applicants, please refer to section 8 of this policy.
The personal information we will collect from you may include your name, title, address and e-mail address and contact numbers (telephone, fax, mobile). If necessary for the purposes of providing advice to you, or for providing you with other information (such as email updates) sometimes we may collect other personal information from you, such as the areas of our practice or related expertise which you are interested in. However, we endeavour not to collect personal information that we do not need.
Generally, we endeavour to collect personal information directly from the individuals concerned. However, if this is not practicable, we may collect personal information about individuals from third parties, including from publicly available sources. If we do, we will take reasonable steps to ensure that the individuals concerned are made aware of the collection of their information.
If you are one of G+T’s ‘business contacts’ (e.g. a person working for one of our clients or suppliers, or in a government agency or other company with which we deal when you correspond with one of our employees or Partners or a contact person in one of our suppliers, or in a government agency or company with which we deal) we may collect basic business contact information from you (e.g. your name, title and work contact details) automatically using the details in your email signature.
G+T will not ask to collect sensitive information about you (such as details of your racial or ethnic origin, political affiliation, religious beliefs, sexual preferences, criminal convictions or health information) except where it is needed for the purposes of providing legal advice, as part of our equal employment opportunities policy, for the purpose of assessing dietary requirements or another reason for which we have your consent and collection is necessary for that purpose.
2. How does G+T use Personal Information?
G+T’s policy is only to use personal information collected from business contacts for the business purpose for which it was collected, or as otherwise provided for in this policy. Personal information collected from other persons (such as prospective employees, subscriber to our knowledge services, etc) is similarly used to fulfil the purposes for which information was collected in the first place, or occasionally for reasonably related purposes.
G+T uses your personal information:
- to provide you with our products and services;
- in connection with the fulfillment of a legal or regulatory obligation;
- to send legal or other updates relevant to us or you and to market our products and services to you;
- in connection with your job application (see section 8 of this policy);
- where we have a legitimate interest that is not overridden by your rights under the law;
- for any reason that you (or your organisation) has provided consent;
- if you are a client, where we have a job applicant or employee that we believe may be suitable for a role in your company;
- for the performance of a contract with you or your company;
- to respond to any enquiries or complaints; and
- to conduct our business.
We also collect personal information so that we can communicate new legal or firm developments, including advertising products or services (including events) that we offer, to our clients and to those people who have subscribed to our website, alert services or mailing lists.
If, at any time, you do not wish to receive these kinds of communications, please let us know using the contact details set out in section 9 below.
3. Will Your Personal Information be given to anyone else?
G+T does not sell or trade personal information about you to or with third parties. Personal information may be disclosed to others by G+T in the circumstances described below:
Disclosures to external service providers
G+T may disclose personal information to external service providers who provide services to you or us, including those who help us operate our business. Examples of our external service providers include: third party data storage providers; IT and other software and systems providers; companies who provide photocopying and archiving services; advertising and marketing agencies who assist us with our campaigns and programs, and research organisations and consultants who conduct research on our behalf. If G+T engages external service providers, G+T takes steps to ensure that those external service providers: comply with the APPs when they handle personal information about you; and are authorised only to use personal information that we provide to them for the purposes specified in our agreement with them.
G+T uses the third party customer records management system “OnePlace” for certain information that we collect (which may contain personal information), including:
- contact details contained in the footer of clients’ emails (this does not include personal email domains and only includes contacts where the company already exists in OnePlace);
- details in online forms where clients can subscribe to G+T information and/or events;
- where clients opt into marketing communications;
- where clients sign up to events via the G+T website;
- where clients attend an event and provide their contact details at the event;
- where individuals access webinars (using their name and email address), including those who have been forwarded the webinar link from a third party; and
- where clients manually add or update their details and areas of interest themselves in OnePlace.
Client details that are added into OnePlace are used to market G+Ts services to them, such as future seminars or webinars that may be of interest to that client, and including where the client has not opted in to receiving marketing communications from G+T. If, at any time, you do not wish to receive these kinds of communications, please let us know using the contact details set out in section 9 below.
Where G+T engages external information technology service providers, we ensure that wherever possible, our data is stored within Australia. Some of our vendors do however store data in overseas locations, such as the UK, New Zealand, USA, and South Africa. In applicable situations, G+T takes reasonable steps to ensure that any overseas recipient does not breach the APPs in relation to that information. Such overseas disclosures are only made in connection with the primary purpose for which the personal information has been collected.
Disclosures required or permitted by law
Otherwise than in the situations described above, G+T will only disclose personal information if this is required or permitted by law including under the Privacy Act. G+T is also bound by professional obligations of confidentiality, including in relation to personal information.
4. Security of Personal Information
G+T takes reasonable steps to ensure the security of your personal information. Our premises are in secure buildings with access restricted to pass card holders. Our IT systems are secured against external threats by various means, password protected and tested through regular audit and data integrity checks. We frequently update our anti-virus software in order to protect our systems (and the data contained in those systems) from computer viruses. In addition, all G+T employees are required, as a condition of employment, to treat personal information held by G+T as confidential.
5. Your Rights
Under the Privacy Act, you have the right to:
- seek access to your personal information handled by G+T;
- ask us to update or correct your personal information when it is inaccurate, incomplete or out of date; and
- opt-out of receiving direct marketing communications from us.
If you wish to access the personal information that G+T holds about you, please set out your request in writing, and forward this to our Privacy Officer, using the contact details set out at the end of this policy.
To provide you with access to your personal information held by us on our current records, G+T can provide you with a copy of the relevant personal information (ordinarily, an electronic print-out or a photocopy). G+T will not charge you for the cost of providing this type of access to these current records.
For legal and administrative reasons, G+T may also archive non-current records containing personal information, such as back up data files and offsite storage. Please note that if we do provide access to old records, we may charge you for the cost of providing such access.
If you are of the view that personal information about you is inaccurate or out of date, or if you have any other queries about access and correction, please contact our Privacy Officer using the contact details set out in section 9 below.
6. Online Privacy Issues
Access to other websites
Sometimes our website contains links to other websites, for your convenience and information. When you access a website other than www.gtlaw.com.au, please understand that G+T is not responsible for the privacy practices of that site. We suggest that you review the privacy policies of each site you visit.
7. Making a complaint
If you wish to make a complaint about how G+T handles your personal information, please contact us setting out your complaint in writing, and forward it to our Privacy Officer, using the contact details in section 9 of this policy.
We will deal with all requests for access to personal information or complaints as quickly as possible and will endeavour to get back to you within a reasonable timeframe.
If you are not satisfied with our response to your complaint you can make a formal complaint to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner through their website at https://www.oaic.gov.au/, by emailing email@example.com or by calling 1300 363 992.
G+T collects information about and from individuals who apply for employment with G+T including job placements and internships. The information we collect may include an individual’s personal information, and includes the applicant’s:
- contact details;
- in some cases, racial background (see below);
- educational and employment history, and relevant qualifications;
- eligibility to work in Australia; and
- referees’ contact details.
In addition, G+T may collect any personal information that an individual chooses to disclose during the process of an application, which could include sensitive information.
We may collect this information directly from the job applicant, such as via the G+T platform including “G+T Talent Community” or “People On Demand”, in response to an advertised job listing, or indirectly from a third party, including from a recruitment agency. If necessary, we will also collect information about applicants from referees and from other public sources, such as professional social networking sites like LinkedIn.
If the applicant proceeds to the interview stage, we will collect further information about the applicant’s participation in and performance during any interview.
G+T is committed to a policy of diversity and inclusion. For this reason, we also collect information as to whether a job applicant identifies as Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander. We collect this information for the sole purpose of monitoring the implementation of our equal employment opportunities policy. G+T will not use this information for any other purpose.
If you do not provide with us the information we request, we may not be able to process or assess your job application.
G+T uses the personal information we collect about job applicants to assess their eligibility and suitability for employment with the firm. Generally, our assessment of applicants’ personal information will relate to a particular role. However, we may also retain and use applicants’ personal information to assess their suitability for other roles with the firm. We may disclose personal information to service providers that conduct background and eligibility checks on our behalf. In some cases, we may send details of your application to our clients if they are looking to fill a role internally that we believe an applicant may be eligible for.
G+T stores all personal information relating to our job applicants in Australia and that information is not accessible to third parties located outside Australia.
Audience: Privacy Officer and Delegates
Post: Gilbert + Tobin, GPO Box 3810, Sydney NSW 2001
Telephone: + 61 2 9263 4000
Fax: + 61 2 9263 4111
- The Gilbert + Tobin partnership
- The G+T Services Company Pty Limited.