Tim is a partner in Gilbert + Tobin’s Litigation group, and has been recognised as a leading dispute resolution lawyer by each of Chambers Asia Pacific, Doyle's Guide and Legal 500 Asia Pacific, which notes that the firm’s litigation practice is "pre-eminent within mining and petroleum" (2013). Tim has also been recognised by AFR Australia’s Best Lawyers for insolvency and reorganization law since 2014, and by Doyle’s Guide as a Leading Insolvency & Reconstruction Lawyer since 2017.
Tim specialises in corporate, commercial and resources litigation, particularly for mining and petroleum companies. He acts for clients in relation to contractual disputes, insolvency disputes, regulatory investigations and Corporations Act matters, including schemes of arrangement.
Tim appears regularly in the Supreme Court of Western Australia and the Federal Court of Australia, and also practises in the Mining Warden's Court. He provides advice on all aspects of corporate, commercial and resources and energy law. Some recent cases in which Tim has acted are:
- Cobalt One Ltd  FCA 1228
- Brewer & anor v O'Sullivan, Warden at Kalgoorlie & ors [No 2]  WASC 269
- Marindi Metals Ltd v Kidman Resources Ltd  WASC 189
- Danehill Nominees Pty Ltd v Galea & Nearology Pty Ltd  WAMW 4
- Mesa Minerals Ltd v Mighty River International Ltd (2016) 241 FCR 241
- Inca Minerals Ltd v Brewer  WAMW 9
- Carnegie Gold Pty Ltd v McKenna & McClaren  WAMW 17
- Siberia Mining Corporation Pty Ltd v Wilson  WASC 322
- Aurora Oil & Gas Ltd  FCA 612 and Aurora Oil & Gas Ltd (No 2)  FCA 752
- Re Silver Lake Resources Ltd (2012) 87 ACSR 436
Tim has served on the Council of the Law Society of Western Australia and on a number of the Society’s Committees. Since 2010 he has been a tutor at the AMPLA Mining Law Workshop at the University of Western Australia. Tim has also presented for the Governance Institute of Australia and the Law Society of Western Australia on recent developments in corporate law and resources law.
Carol Ann Docherty
+61 8 9413 8442