Tim is a partner in Gilbert + Tobin’s Disputes + Investigations group.
He has been recognised as a leading dispute resolution lawyer by each of Chambers Asia Pacific and Legal 500 Asia Pacific, which notes that the firm’s litigation practice is "pre-eminent within mining and petroleum". AFR Australia’s Best Lawyers has recognised Tim since 2014 for insolvency and reorganization law, and also for his expertise in mining law and for natural resources law. Doyle’s Guide 2023 recommends Tim for commercial litigation and dispute resolution.
Tim appears regularly in the Supreme Court of Western Australia and the Federal Court of Australia. He also practices in the Mining Warden's Court. He provides advice on all aspects of corporate, commercial and resources and energy law.
Tim has served on the Council of the Law Society of Western Australia and on a number of the Society’s Committees. Since 2010 he has been a tutor at the AMPLA Mining Law Workshop at the University of Western Australia. Tim has also presented for the Governance Institute of Australia, the Law Society of Western Australia and ACC (the Association of Corporate Counsel) on recent developments in corporate law and resources law.
Tim has acted in the following cases:
- BSG Mining LLC v MRC Graphite (Norway) Pty Ltd  WASC 128
- Peter John Panizza v Barto Gold Mining & Minister for Mines  WAWC 2
- Tasex Geological Services Pty Ltd v Carnegie Gold Pty Ltd [No 3]  WAWC 1
- Thompson v Siberia Mining Corporation Pty Ltd  WASCA 115; (2021) 14 ARLR 293
- Moodle Pty Ltd v Lambda Solutions Inc  WASC 166
- Nipps (Administrator) v Remagen Lend ADA Pty Ltd, in the matter of Adaman Resources Pty Ltd (Administrators Appointed)  FCA 520
- Re Exore Resources Ltd  WASC 285
- Siberia Mining Corporation Pty Ltd v O'Sullivan  WASC 214
- Buurabalayji Thalanyji Aboriginal Corp v Onslow Salt Pty Ltd (No 7) (2020) 144 ACSR 621
- Re Navitas Ltd  WASC 180
- Carnegie Gold Pty Ltd v Maughan  WASC 366; (2018) 240 LGERA 114
- Altona Mining Limited  FCA 614
- GR Engineering Services Ltd v Eastern Goldfields Ltd  WASC 19
- Cobalt One Ltd  FCA 1228 and Cobalt One Ltd (No 2)  FCA 1407
- Brewer & anor v O'Sullivan, Warden at Kalgoorlie & ors [No 2] (2017) 226 LGERA 99; (2017) 10 ARLR 397
- Marindi Metals Ltd v Kidman Resources Ltd  WASC 189
- Danehill Nominees Pty Ltd v Galea & Nearology Pty Ltd  WAMW 4
- Mesa Minerals Ltd v Mighty River International Ltd (2016) 241 FCR 241
- Siberia Mining Corporation Pty Ltd v Wilson  WASC 322
- Aurora Oil & Gas Ltd  FCA 612 and Aurora Oil & Gas Ltd (No 2)  FCA 752
- Re Aldridge Uranium Ltd  FCA 1263 and Re Aldridge Uranium Ltd (No 2)  FCA 1424
- Re Golden Gate Petroleum Ltd (2010) 77 ACSR 17
Awards and Recognition
Tim is recognised as a Best Lawyer in the areas of Natural Resources Law, Mining Law and for Insolvency and Reorganization Law.
Tim was recommended as a Leading Commercial Litigation and Dispute Resolution Lawyer.
Tim was recommended for Dispute Resolution.
Tim was recommended as a Leading Insolvency & Reconstruction Lawyer.
Our expertise and solutions
for generating cleaner, greener futures
Demand for sustainable practices is driving change across corporate Australia, find out the latest industry insights and decarbonising opportunities.