+61 2 9263 4032
Bernadette Jew, Partner
Bernadette is a partner in Gilbert + Tobin's TMT and Project Services group.
Her practice involves advising corporate and government clients on a range of strategic commercial projects including:
- business transformation and business process redesign projects across the financial services, energy and health sectors;
- the implementation of various corporate and enterprise systems; the establishment of shared services operations; wealth-management systems; reservation and ticketing systems; credit card and EFTPOS payment systems; and electronic health record systems and electronic medical record systems. On the vendor side, Bernadette acted for the Peoplesoft group of companies prior to their takeover by Oracle, advising on the licensing and implementation of ERP systems for both corporate and government organisations across Australia, New Zealand, Hong Kong, Japan, India, Malaysia, New Zealand, Singapore and Taiwan;
- various outsourcing projects across the financial services, energy, health and retail sectors;
- projects involving new and innovative business models and technologies, including the establishment of portal businesses, financial services card products, smart card technologies, e-procurement models, mobile payment solutions, and content management systems;
- various telecommunications projects including:
- the procurement of voice services, data services, mobile services, WAN and LAN networks, remote access services, EFTPOS services and mobile payment systems, and the establishment of a state-wide broadband network for NSW Government; and
- advising a number of telecommunications carriers (both in Australia and Hong Kong) in relation to transactions involving the sale of bandwidth capacity, Internet connectivity and the long-term lease of network infrastructure, as well as regulatory and commercial issues relating to local call resale, local loop unbundling and Internet Interconnection charging arrangements; and
- the licensing, implementation and integration of various software solutions.
Bernadette is recognised as a leading lawyer in telecommunications, media and technology (TMT) by Chambers Global.
A significant part of Bernadette's work is focused on the financial services sector, and has included participation in the team advising one of the four major banks in Australia on a number of significant technology and telecommunications projects and transformation initiatives, including major outsourcing projects. Bernadette has also advised on commercial arrangements relating to credit cards, and various financial products utilising the EFTPOS payment system as well as the sale of a significant ATM network.
Bernadette has completed degrees in law, commerce and music (piano performance). Bernadette previously qualified as a chartered accountant and worked as a taxation consultant for one of the Big 4 chartered accounting firms.