Commissions + Inquiries
As the use of Inquiries and Royal Commissions to investigate and report on public issues continues to rise, organisations face unprecedented challenges in responding to these inquiries and navigating the intense public scrutiny that follows.
The legal and reputational risks posed by Royal Commissions and Commissions of Inquiry are significant, encompassing not only interactions with the investigating body but also the management of findings and potential criminal referrals, civil actions, or disciplinary proceedings.
Organisations must understand and adapt to these unique challenges, ensuring they are well-prepared to address the implications of inquiries and safeguard their interests.
Our team are specialists in Royal Commissions and Inquiries. We have unparalleled experience acting in multiple roles in Royal Commissions, which equips us with the insight, scale and expertise to support your business.
Our approach is strategic and efficient. As experts in the Royal Commission process, we understand that time is of the essence, and we are equipped to handle the complexities of the matter within the given timeframe. With our wealth of experience, we can interpret and respond to any changes or developments swiftly and effectively. Trust us to deliver timely and valuable guidance throughout the entire process
Royal Commissions and Inquiries in which Gilbert + Tobin has acted:
- Royal Commission into the Robodebt Scheme - as Solicitor Assisting the Royal Commission
- Royal Commission into the Casino Operator and Licence - acting for Deloitte and a former Director of Crown Resorts (separately)
- The Star City Bell Inquiry - acting for the Former Chairman and Former CEO of Star
- Bergin Inquiry (Report of the Inquiry under section 143 of the Casino Control Act 1992 (NSW)) - acting for a former Director of Crown Resorts
- The Parliamentary Inquiry into the regulation of auditing in Australia - acting for Deloitte on its response to the inquiry
- Royal Commission into Aged Care Quality and Safety - acting for the Commonwealth and its departments and agencies in their response to the Royal Commission
- Judicial Inquiry into the COVID-19 Hotel Quarantine Program - acting for the Victorian Department of Treasury and Finance and Rydges Hotel Group (separately)
- Royal Commission into National Natural Disaster Arrangements - acting for Telstra in its response to the Royal Commission
- Royal Commission into Violence, Abuse, Neglect and Exploitation of People with Disability - acting for the Commonwealth and its departments and agencies in their response to the Royal Commission
- Royal Commission into Management of Police Informants - acting for the State of Victoria in its response to the Royal Commission
- Royal Commission into Misconduct in the Banking, Superannuation and Financial Services Industry - acting for Westpac, the Australian Banking Association and the Insurance Council of Australia (separately) on their responses to the Royal Commission
- Royal Commission into the Protection and Detention of Children in the Northern Territory - as Solicitor Assisting the Northern Territory Royal Commission
- Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse - acting for the Catholic Church and the Truth Justice and Healing Council
- PNG Royal Commission into the UBS Loan – acting for Kumul Petroleum Holdings on its response to the Royal Commission
- Royal Commission into Trade Union Governance and Corruption - acting for Mirvac in its response to the Royal Commission
- HIH Royal Commission - acting for a high-profile director at the HIH Royal Commission
- James Hardie Special Commission of Inquiry - acting for various companies involved in the Inquiry
Awards + Recognition
“The team has proven market-leading strength acting on high-profile mandates relating to inquiries by Royal Commissions as well as class actions. Also of a note is the team members’ project management skills together with the firm’s use of advanced technology in approaching dispute resolution.”
Gilbert + Tobin awarded Dispute Resolution Team of the Year
"Active on class actions, regulatory investigations and other official inquiries... Noted for strategic insight and rapid, proactive issue assessment, often enhanced by the labour-saving use of technology."
Gilbert + Tobin named National Law Firm of the Year (Australia)