Our expertise includes extensive experience in subsectors which include the following:
- Energy & resources
- Renewable energy
- Real estate
- Social infrastructure and PPPs
We provide legal advice across the entire project lifespan, including approvals, procurement, project structuring and delivery, preparation and negotiation of key contracts, project counsel during the delivery phase and the management of claims and disputes.
Our Construction experience includes:
- Western Harbour Tunnel - Advising a client on all aspects of its bid to TfNSW to construct the new A$4 billion Western Harbour Tunnel, linking WestConnex to the Warringah Freeway and providing a valued new harbour crossing in Sydney’s road network.
- Icthys LNG Project - Advising the EPC contractor in respect of a billion-dollar international arbitration and WA Supreme Court proceedings against a major Thailand-based subcontractor.
- NHFIC Social Housing - Advising NHFIC on the Ground Lease 2 PPP in Victoria, and on the social and affordable housing initiative being undertaken by Brisbane Housing Company Limited and QIC Investment Limited on behalf of the Queensland Government. We regularly advise NHFIC on loans to community housing providers (and related bond issuances and related matters).
- PPP Projects - Advising either the sponsors or contractor on over 100 PPP projects in the Australian and New Zealand market, in the transport, health, education, corrections, accommodation, events and water and waste sectors.
- Mount Piper Water Treatment Facility - Advising MP Water (a Project Co SPV substantially owned by Infrastructure Capital Group) on the build, delivery and operation of a water treatment facility adjacent to the Springvale Mine in rural New South Wales, and advising MP Water in relation to significant disputes on the project with the D&C and O&M contractor, including in various proceedings in the Supreme Court and NSW Court of Appeal.
- East Rockingham Waste-to-Energy Project - Advising Acciona on all aspects of its involvement as EPC contractor for the East Rockingham Waste-to-Energy Project, with HZI, Masdar, Tribe and Suez.
- Sydney Light Rail PPP - Advising Acciona Infrastructure Australia in respect of various matters regarding the Sydney Light Rail Project, including managing the resolution of disputes with TfNSW, negotiating interface arrangements, acting in class action proceedings with 3rd party stakeholders, and acting in a fast-track arbitration against a major supplier.
- 600 Collins Commercial Tower - Advising US-based developer, Hines on the project structuring and delivery-related aspects of its $1bn, 60,000sqm office tower at 600 Collins St in Melbourne.
Awards + Recognition
Gilbert + Tobin is ranked for Infrastructure Projects and Construction by Legal 500