Environment + Planning
The environment and planning regulatory framework in Australia is complex and constantly changing. Our depth of experience advising on projects and transactions across Australia enables us to implement a commercial, pragmatic, and strategic approach for our clients. Our environment and planning lawyers work closely with technical advisers, government agencies and other key stakeholders to achieve our client’s corporate objectives and unlock solutions to resolve challenging planning and environment issues.
Our environmental lawyers advise on all aspects of environment and planning law including environmental impact assessments and approvals strategy, contaminated land, planning and environmental advice and litigation, submissions and stakeholder engagement, waste regulatory framework, regulatory investigations and compliance, director and parent company liability, land access rights, due diligence and compulsory acquisition.
Key sector expertise
Our environment and planning lawyers have particular expertise in the following sectors/areas:
- Waste Industry
- Contaminated Land
- Commercial/Residential/Industrial Development
- Energy + Infrastructure
- Pollution Law (regulatory investigations, director liability and defending EPA prosecutions)
- Renewable Energy
- Oil + Gas
- Compulsory Acquisition
Key legal services
Our environment and planning services include advising on:
- options/strategy for environment and planning approval pathways
- legal/adequacy review of environmental impact assessment
- drafting submissions/correspondence to consent authorities/government agencies and negotiating draft conditions
- master planning and rezoning applications
- merit and judicial review proceedings in relation to approval decisions
- drafting material agreements – including voluntary planning agreements, landowner/neighbour agreements and biodiversity agreements
- contaminated land liability – including drafting complex environmental indemnity agreements
- regulatory investigations of pollution/compliance incidents, director/parent company liability and defending prosecutions
- options/strategy for compulsory acquisition of land – including compensation and valuation disputes
- financial assurance and decommissioning/rehabilitation liability
- water regulatory framework
- waste regulatory framework
- access, rights and obligations under the Telco Act
- legal planning and environmental due diligence
- climate change
Awards + Recognition
Gilbert + Tobin is ranked for Environment + Planning
"G+T provides comprehensive and commercial advice and looks at issues through the lens of the law as well as with its knowledge of the industry."
"The team provide outstanding client service, are responsive, and adopt a commercial approach which provides real work practicality."
Our expertise and solutions
for generating cleaner, greener futures
Demand for sustainable practices is driving change across corporate Australia, find out the latest industry insights and decarbonising opportunities.