Doing business in Australia answers some of the most common questions an overseas investor may ask when establishing a business presence in Australia. It aims to provide an introduction to the laws of Australia for overseas legal practitioners.
Environment, Planning + Climate Change
Our Environment, Planning + Climate Change team has a proven track record advising on the development of complex projects in a wide variety of industry sectors across Australia. We specialise in advising on all aspects of environmental impact assessment and approvals strategy, planning and environment law advice and litigation, remediation and development of contaminated land, regulatory investigations and prosecutions, and corporate environmental due diligence. Our clients include corporations, investors, government, investment banks, financial service institutions and Australia’s leading national banks.
We understand how important it is for our clients to meet their commercial objectives cost effectively and in parallel with their corporate environmental responsibilities.
- Contaminated Land – We see contaminated land issues as part of the bigger commercial picture. With our technical expertise and regulatory experience we guide our clients through the complex web of legal, regulatory and reputational risk issues to implement a successful contaminated land strategy.
- Environmental Due Diligence – As part of a firm that works on many of Australia’s largest, most complex and most watched M&A deals, our environmental team provides practical advice to identify the real planning and environmental risks arising from transactions in all jurisdictions across Australia.
- Waste – We understand the commercial drivers behind the waste industry sector in Australia and the landscape within which the key stakeholders operate. We regularly advise government and corporate clients on environmental liabilities associated with large scale acquisition and disposal of waste assets, approval pathways for waste projects and options to resolve operational compliance issues.
- Renewable Energy – We provide strategic planning and environmental advice to renewable energy developers and investors in relation to all aspects of renewable projects (such as solar, wind and biomass) across Australia.
- Energy and Resources – Our team provides strategic planning and environmental advice to leading mining and energy companies on all aspects of the approval pathway, land access and operational compliance issues.
- Planning – Whether it is drafting submissions in response to strategic planning documents, advising on the adequacy of environmental impact assessment, negotiating conditions of planning approval or successfully litigating to obtain planning approval we never lose sight of our client’s commercial objective.
- Environmental – Our environmental services include advising on all aspects of environmental approval pathways, adequacy of environmental assessment, director’s liability for environmental incidents, water rights, climate change law, strategic advice in relation to regulatory investigations and enforcement action for pollution incidents and defending pollution prosecutions.
- Norsk Hydro ASA (one of the world’s leading aluminium manufacturers) in relation to all planning and environmental related matters associated with the $150 million remediation, rezoning and redevelopment of its former Aluminium Smelter at Kurri Kurri, NSW.
- Cleanaway in relation to all planning and environmental risks associated with its $665 million acquisition of Tox Free Solutions.
- Beach Energy in relation to environmental risks associated with its $1.58 billion acquisition of Origin Energy’s conventional oil and gas business.
- Veolia in relation to planning and environmental risks and approvals strategy for its $200 million Springvale Wastewater Treatment Facility Project.
- Palisade Investment Partners on planning and environmental risks and approvals strategy in respect to its successful bid to become commercial partner in the operation and development of the Sunshine Coast Airport (Qld).
- Orica Limited in relation to environmental and regulatory risks arising from the $750million sale of its Chemicals business in Australia.
- Viva Energy in relation to environmental risks associated with the establishment of a real estate investment trust and IPO for a portfolio of over 430 retail service station sites across Australia.
- Dyldam Property Group in relation to planning approvals, rezoning and voluntary planning agreements for approximately $1billion worth of mixed use development projects at the Bonds Spinning Mill Site in Pendle Hill, Bull ‘n’ Bush site at Baulkham Hills and Merrylands.
- Elanor Investors Group in relation to planning approvals and strategy for its $150 million mixed use development at Yennora.
- Dulux Australia on a range of environmental licensing matters for its portfolio of storage, manufacturing and distribution sites across Australia.
- BlueScope Streel in relation to planning and environmental issues associated with its Port Kembla Masterplanning Project.