Helping startups grow is part of what made us who we are today – and it will be an important element of who we are tomorrow. Our strategy is simple: we will continue to invest in great ideas and support entrepreneurs wherever their journeys lead.
We will always be close at hand when your business needs our specialised expertise. And when it comes time for an exit, our top-rated capital markets and M&A team will help you navigate the options – whether that’s a trade sale, flip transaction, licencing arrangement or IPO.
We have a full life-cycle offering for startups:
- Setting up a tax-effective business structure that works for the founders and key team members, including drafting Shareholders Agreements, governance and advisory board agreements.
- Protecting, managing and enforcing your intellectual property, including through trademark registration and trademark and patent litigation.
- Strategic alliance, partnership or other agreements.
- Raising external funding using equity financing, convertible notes, debt financing, revenue loans and grants.
- Incentivising employees through an Employee Share Option Plan.
- IPOs and trade sales.
Our experience includes advising:
- Various Startups - In relation to seed funding rounds, employee incentives and/or governance including for PetCircle, Hatch Careers, Milray Park, WattCost, Zuper, My Mobile Data and others.
- Pet Circle - In relation to investments by Airtree Ventures, BlueSky Ventures and Francisco Partners (including a $50 million funding round).
- Assembly Payments - In relation to recent fundraising rounds.
- In relation to investments by Airtree Ventures, BlueSky Ventures and Francisco Partners (including a $50 million funding round).
- IIF Program and REVC Programs - Since 2007, we have advised many of the successfully licensed fund managers under the Commonwealth’s Innovation Investment Fund program (Brandon Capital Partners, Cleantech Ventures, One Ventures, MRCF and Southern Cross Venture Partners (all established as VCLPs, ESVCLPs, managed investment trusts or co-investment arrangements)) and the Commonwealth’s Renewable Energy Venture Capital Fund program (Southern Cross Venture Partners, established as a co-investment arrangement).
- Koala - In relation to multiple fundraising rounds.
- SafetyCulture - In relation to its recent $47 million Series C funding round.
- Trademark Vision - In relation to Series A and B fundraising rounds.
- Envato - Advising the Melbourne-based, leading marketplace and community for creative assets on white-label software supply/resale arrangement with US start up Pressed.
- LocalAgentFinder - Advising the Melbourne-based Fintech company dealing with real estate agent marketplace on developing precedents and a white-labelled supply partnership arrangement with CBA.
- iConstruct - Advising the Perth-based startup mining software company on partnering/alliance arrangements with Silverhorse and subcontracting arrangements with Woodside.
- HashiCorp - Advising the San Francisco-based cloud infrastructure automation company on Australian legal risk positions in connection with a software licensing arrangement with an Australian big-four bank.
- Garner Corp - Advising the Canadian-based logistic integration software company on Australianising its North-American template software licence and services agreement and advice in connection with negotiations with an Australian client.
- Workday - Advising the US-based HR and Financial Management software company on Australian elements of alliance arrangements with Accenture Australia.
- Momentum Cloud - Advising a learning management business, which allows education institutions to better manage learning outcomes for their students, on the development of contract architecture; advice on privacy, Australian Consumer Law, cyber security, and financial services regulation; and strategic advice around structure and go-to market strategy.
- Wiise - Advising CBA, Wiise and Microsoft on a three-way partnership to create an accounting solution which offers built-in payment functionality.
- Sypht - Advising BPAY’s new SaaS based startup, that uses advanced text recognition and AI to analyse and assess documents, on the development of contract architecture; advice on privacy, Australian Consumer Law, cyber security and financial services regulation; and strategic advice around structure and go-to market strategy.
- Lodge - Advising BPAY’s new rent management business, which offers investors a range of tools to manage their rental portfolios, on the development of contract architecture; advice on privacy, Australian Consumer Law, cyber security and financial services regulation; and strategic advice around structure and go-to market strategy.
- Coca-Cola Amatil - Advising on the branding of its start-up corporate accelerator AMATIL-X, a new platform for emerging possibilities to power growth beyond Coca-Cola Amatil’s core business.