Alex is a partner in Gilbert + Tobin’s Corporate Advisory group.
Alex has advised on a number of high profile corporate transactions and has particular expertise in public and private M&A, equity capital markets and private equity.
Alex won the ‘New Partner of the Year - 3 years or less’ category at the 2019 Partner of the Year Awards and was a finalist in the ‘Dealmaker of the Year’ category at the 2019 Australian Law Awards. Alex has also been recognised as a ‘Rising Star’ in M&A by Australasian Lawyer.
- Damstra on its proposed $250 million scrip for scrip merger with Vault Intelligence.
- Dulux Group on its $3.8 billion acquisition by Nippon Paints by scheme of arrangement.
- KKR on its $2.1 billion acquisition of MYOB by scheme of arrangement.
- Advising the Tang family office on their substantial holding in Cromwell Property Group (including the related Takeovers Panel proceedings).
- Oaktree/Boardriders on the acquisition of Billabong by scheme of arrangement.
- Ethane Pipeline Income Fund on the takeover bid by APA Group.
- KKR on its acquisition of a substantial interest in OZ Minerals and the subsequent divestment of that stake.
- GrainCorp Limited on the $3.4 billion takeover bid by Archer Daniels Midland Company.
- Pacific Equity Partners on its $1.1 billion acquisition of Spotless by scheme of arrangement.
- Centerbridge and Oaktree on the acquisition of a substantial interest in Billabong as part of a broader debt/equity recapitalisation (including related Takeovers Panel proceedings).
- Crescent Capital Partners on its takeover of ClearView Wealth.
- Telstra on FOXTEL’s $2 billion acquisition of AUSTAR United Communications by scheme of arrangement.
- Charter Hall Office REIT on its acquisition by Reco Ambrosia Pte Ltd (an affiliate of Government of Singapore Investment Corporation Pte Ltd), the Canadian Public Sector Pension Investment Board and a member of the Charter Hall Group, executed by way of trust scheme.
- Conquest Mining on its merger with Catalpa Resources and the concurrent purchase of two gold projects from Newcrest Mining to form Evolution Mining.
- Riversdale Mining on the $3.8 billion takeover bid by Rio Tinto.
- Ross Human Directions on its acquisition by Chandler Macleod following a competitive bid process (including related Takeovers Panel proceedings).
- Outotec Oyj on its takeover of Ausmelt.
- KKR on the proposed acquisition of a 55% interest in Colonial First State (CFS) and establishment of a joint venture with Commonwealth Bank of Australia, with the transaction valuing CFS at $3.4 billion.
- KKR on its investment in GreenCollar, a leading Australian environmental markets business. This is the first Australian investment by KKR’s US$1.3 billion Global Impact Fund.
- KKR on corporate aspects of its $3.2 billion acquisition of Arnott’s Biscuits and certain international operations of Campbell Soup.
- Vitol Group on its $2.9 billion acquisition of Shell’s Australian downstream assets.
- Ansell Limited on the $800 million sale of its Sexual Wellness business to Humanwell and CITIC following a competitive sale process.
- MYOB on the sale of Kounta to Lightspeed.
- MYOB on the sale of Acumatica to EQT.
- KKR on the establishment of a residential property platform with a joint venture partner.
- KKR and its joint venture partner on the sale of Santanol.
- Novotech on its acquisition of Clinical Network Services.
- TPG Capital on its acquisition of Novotech.
- APN Property Group on the sale of the management rights in respect of Generation Healthcare REIT.
- IFM on private equity investments in the ISGM and Colette businesses.
- Maaji on its merger with Seafolly.
- Asahi on its acquisition of Mountain Goat.
- Leighton Holdings on the sale process in respect of its property development business, Leighton Properties.
- Leighton Holdings on the acquisition of Macmahon’s construction business.
- Telstra on the sale of its New Zealand business, TelstraClear, to Vodafone.
- REA Group on its co-investment in Move, Inc. with News Corporation.
- Bidders for TransGrid and the Ports of Botany, Kembla and Newcastle as part of the privatisation processes conducted by the NSW Government.
- Viva Energy on its successful $2.65 billion initial public offering and listing on ASX (the largest IPO in Australia for 5 years and the largest non-government IPO in Australian corporate history).
- Damstra on its IPO.
- Wesfarmers on the proposed IPO of Officeworks.
- Viva Energy REIT on its $911 million IPO.
- Burson (now known as Bapcor) on its IPO.
- Independent directors of Hotel Property Investments on its IPO.
- Goldman Sachs on its equities strategic alliance with Commonwealth Bank.
- Citi on its $1 billion underwrite of NAB's dividend reinvestment plan.
- Cleanaway Waste Management Limited on its $590 million accelerated non-renounceable entitlement offer.
- IOOF on its $550 million capital raising by way of placement and share purchase plan, to partly fund its acquisition of Australia and New Zealand Banking Group’s (ANZ) OnePath Pensions and Investments business.
- Credit Suisse as underwriter for the 2018 and 2017 placements by New Century Resources Limited.
- Syrah Resources on its capital raisings in 2018, 2017, 2016 and 2015, with an aggregate value over $600 million.
- Evolution Mining Limited on its accelerated renounceable entitlement offer.
- Orocobre Limited on its institutional placement.
- Melbourne IT on its accelerated non-renounceable entitlement offer.
- Industria REIT on its placement and accelerated non-renounceable entitlement offer.
- Opthea Limited on its placement and accelerated non-renounceable entitlement offer.
Awards and Recognition
Alex has been recognised for his work in Equity Capital Markets Law.
Alex has been recognised as a Notable Practitioner for his work in M&A.
Alex was a finalist in the Dealmaker of the Year category.
Alex won New Partner of the Year - 3 years or less.
Alex was a winner in the M&A category.
Alex was a finalist in the M&A category.