Aparna is a partner in Gilbert + Tobin’s Disputes + Investigations practice.
Aparna specialises in complex financial services litigation, regulatory investigations and enforcement proceedings, class actions and commercial disputes. As the former Chief of Staff (Legal) for Westpac, Aparna offers a detailed understanding of both the legal and commercial challenges that financial services participants are facing. She is adept at anticipating client needs and proposing practical solutions to navigate the internal stakeholder approval processes and other important client dynamics.
Additionally, Aparna is experienced in insolvency and restructuring related matters.
Aparna's experience includes advising:
- Acting for Nuix Limited in relation to multiple potential class actions following its 2020 IPO.
- Acting for Westpac in relation to the proceedings brought by AUSTRAC, alleging more than 23 million breaches of anti-money laundering laws, including strategic advice regarding the claim as well as broader considerations for the bank.
- Acting for Vocation Limited in the defence of three separate class action proceedings brought by shareholders in relation to breach of the continuous disclosure regime and misleading and deceptive conduct.
- Acting for the former CEO of Vocation in relation to civil penalty proceedings brought by ASIC alleging contraventions of the continuous disclosure regime, misleading and deceptive conduct and breach of directors' duties.
- Acting for Westpac in its defence of the high profile and complex ASIC prosecution concerning alleged manipulation of the Bank Bill Swap rate (BBSW) which is one of the largest ASIC investigations and prosecutions. Westpac was the only bank which contested the allegations in Court.
- Advising financial institutions and listed entities in relation to investigations into insider trading and market manipulation, continuous disclosure and other key provisions of the Corporations Act and ASIC Act.
For more information on the Toyota Class Action, please click below or call 1800 324 984.