Crispian is a leading dispute resolution lawyer and a partner in Gilbert + Tobin’s Litigation group.
He resolves significant and complex disputes and applies a commercial and strategic approach to doing so.
Crispian has worked on some of Australia’s largest commercial disputes. He has also worked on a wide range of commercial litigation, arbitrations, mediations and contentious insolvency matters in Australia and around the world.
Highlights of Crispian’s experience include:
- Securing a AUD280 million settlement - the largest settlement of a misleading and deceptive conduct claim in Australian corporate history - for the RiverCity companies in proceedings against AECOM Australia in the Federal Court of Australia in relation to Brisbane’s Clem 7 Tunnel.
- Representing RiverCity Services in defending a securities class action in the Federal Court of Australia for over AUD250 m.
- Representing the BrisConnections companies in proceedings against Arup in the Federal Court of Australia, alleging misleading and deceptive conduct and negligent misstatement, and seeking over AUD1.5 billion in damages in relation to Brisbane’s AirportLink toll road.
- Advising Reliance Rail, Australia’s largest public private partnership, on its successful restructure, on its successful defence of 12 arbitrations before ACICA and its successful resolution of Supreme Court proceedings against its financial guarantors.
- Advising on the commercial wind down of an investment fund following its USD6 bn collapse and supervising related US civil and regulatory proceedings.
- Representing 41 companies the subject of, and successfully setting aside, a USD9.2 bn freezing order in alleged fraud proceedings in the Cayman Islands, including before the Court of Appeal.
- Successfully representing an investment fund in an arbitration in London against a fund administrator, settling for over USD40 million.
- Successfully representing Publishing & Broadcasting Limited and Nine Network in its defence of some of the largest and most complex trade practices litigation brought in Australia by Seven Network for over AUD1 bn in damages.
- Representing a global financial services company in respect of a high-profile ASIC investigation.
- Acting on schemes of arrangement in respect of Energy Developments, David Jones, Mirvac Industrial Trust, Coal & Allied and Countrywide.
Crispian works across many sectors, including the banking and finance, media, telecommunications and infrastructure sectors. He also advises on complex broadcasting services matters for numerous clients.
Crispian is recommended for dispute resolution in Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2016 and recognised as a leading lawyer by Benchmark Asia Pacific 2014.
Crispian holds a first class law degree from UTS and has been admitted as a solicitor in New South Wales, a solicitor in England and Wales (non-practising), an attorney-at-law in the Cayman Islands (non-practising) and a solicitor in the British Virgin Islands (non-practising). He is a graduate member of the Australian Restructuring Insolvency & Turnaround Association.
+61 2 9263 4214