Crispian is a partner in Gilbert + Tobin’s Disputes + Investigations group.
He resolves significant and complex disputes and applies a commercial and strategic approach to doing so. Crispian has worked on some of Australia’s largest commercial disputes. He has also worked on a wide range of commercial litigation, arbitrations, mediations and contentious insolvency matters in Australia and around the world.
Crispian works across many sectors, including the banking and finance, media, telecommunications and infrastructure sectors. He also advises on complex broadcasting services matters for numerous clients.
Crispian is recommended for dispute resolution by leading international legal directories including Legal 500 and Chambers Asia-Pacific. Sources characterise him as a lawyer of "great charm and determination," praising him as "extremely shrewd and able" as well as "very thorough, methodical and up to speed on things." Chambers Asia-Pacific 2018.
Crispian's experience includes:
- Advising on a class action against Toyota.
- Acting for Vocation Limited (in liquidation) in two securities class actions in the Federal Court of Australia. We were successful in having a third class action dismissed.
- Advising publicly listed financial services licensees in connection with the Banking Royal Commission and possible civil proceedings and criminal charges.
- Acting for New Hope Corporation Limited and a number of its subsidiaries in legal proceedings in the Supreme Court of NSW against Wiggins Island Coal Export Terminal Pty Ltd in connection with a contract claim for A$155million.
- Acting for Anchorage, Midtown Acquisitions, Deutsche Bank and Commonwealth Bank of Australia in Supreme Court of NSW proceedings commenced against certain former directors and officers of the Arrium Group. The proceedings relate to allegations of negligence and negligent misstatement.
- Obtaining Federal Court approval of a $12 million settlement of a class action against the Bank of Queensland.
- Acting for the Court-appointed contradictor in the Discovery Metals class actions against KPMG.
- Securing a $280 million settlement - the largest settlement of a misleading and deceptive conduct claim in Australian corporate history - for the RiverCity companies in proceedings against AECOM Australia in the Federal Court of Australia in relation to Brisbane’s Clem 7 Tunnel.
- Representing RiverCity Services in defending a securities class action in the Federal Court of Australia for over $250 million.
- Assisting Lowe’s to secure $250 m following Federal Court and arbitral proceedings and an expert determination process against Woolworths concerning the termination of the Masters joint venture.
- Securing a $121 million settlement for the BrisConnections companies in proceedings against Arup in the Federal Court of Australia, alleging misleading and deceptive conduct and negligent misstatement in relation to Brisbane’s AirportLink toll road.
- Advising Reliance Rail, Australia’s largest public private partnership, on its successful restructure, on its successful defence of 12 arbitrations before ACICA and its successful resolution of Supreme Court proceedings against its financial guarantors.
- Successfully representing Publishing & Broadcasting Limited and Nine Network in its defence of some of the largest and most complex trade practices litigation brought in Australia by Seven Network for over A$1 billion in damages.
Awards and Recognition
Crispian is recognised as a Best Lawyer in Alternative Dispute Resolution, Class Action Litigation and Insolvency and Reorganization Law.
Crispian is ranked as a Next Generation Partner in Dispute Resolution.
Crispian is ranked as a leading individual for Dispute Resolution.
Crispian is ranked as a leading individual in Dispute Resolution.
Crispian Lynch stands out for his expertise in the class action and regulatory spheres. Clients engaged in litigation in both these areas tend to cite him for similar qualities: one, who speaks of his "handling a pretty difficult and unusual situation really well," adds: "He gave us solid and timely advice"; another, who also calls him "very pragmatic and responsive," also references "excellent, very user-friendly and sound advice."
‘Crispian has a first-rate legal mind combined with admirable sangfroid in litigation‘
“Crispian Lynch stands out in the opinion of interviewees as a "very commercial, no-nonsense" practitioner whose impressive performance as a team player acts as a powerful draw for clients.”
A client notes that he is "good at understanding the strategy of both sides, why people are doing what they are doing and how things might be playing out."
“His handling of insolvency-related disputes attracts special recognition and he is also an experienced class action practitioner.”
Crispian was reccomended for Dispute resolution, Restructuring and insolvency, and Media and entertainment. The guide notes Crispian is ‘very diligent’ and ‘impressive in negotiations’.
Crispian was awarded Australian Disputes Star of the Year.
For more information on the Toyota Class Action, please click below or call 1800 324 984.