Crispian is a partner in Gilbert + Tobin’s Disputes + Investigations group.
He resolves significant and complex disputes and applies a commercial and strategic approach to doing so. Crispian has worked on some of Australia’s largest commercial disputes. He has also worked on a wide range of commercial litigation, arbitrations, mediations and contentious insolvency matters in Australia and around the world.
Crispian works across many sectors, including the banking and finance, media, telecommunications and infrastructure sectors. He also advises on complex broadcasting services matters for numerous clients.
Crispian is recommended for dispute resolution by leading international legal directories including Legal 500 and Chambers Asia-Pacific. Sources characterise him as a lawyer of "great charm and determination," praising him as "extremely shrewd and able" as well as "very thorough, methodical and up to speed on things." Chambers Asia-Pacific 2018.
Crispian's experience includes:
- Securing the largest judgment in Australian history in a class action against Toyota Motor Corporation
- Acting for Gina Rinehart in defending the largest arbitration in Australian history
- Acting for Credit Suisse in prosecuting claims against insurers associated with the collapse of Greensill worth over US$2 billion
- Securing a $280 million settlement for the RiverCity companies from AECOM following Federal Court proceedings for misleading and deceptive conduct
- Securing a $250 million outcome for Lowe’s following Federal Court and arbitral proceedings against Woolworths in connection with the Masters joint venture
- Securing a $121 million settlement for the BrisConnections companies from Arup Federal Court proceedings for misleading and deceptive conduct
- Acting for CBA in connection with numerous large-scale investigations and proceedings under the Corporations and ASIC Act
- Securing a judgment for Reliance Rail against its financial guarantors in connection with a $2 billion restructure
- Successfully resolving three securities class actions brought against Vocation
- Successfully resolving a securities class actions brought against RiverCity Motorway
- Successfully defending oppression proceedings brought against Brett Blundy, BBRC and Honey Birdette
- Successfully defending New Hope in first, second and third instance proceedings brought by NEC, Colton and WICET seeking relief exceeding $155 million for breach of contract
- Successfully defending Nine in first and second instance proceedings brought by WIN for breach of contract
- Successfully defencing PBL and Nine in their defence of the C7 trade practices mega litigation
- Acting in various contradictor roles in the Bank of Queensland, Discovery Metals and Queensland Energy class actions
- Providing broadcasting services advice to Nine / Fairfax, Ten, Illyria, Macquarie Radio and HT&E in respect of various transactions and investigations
Awards and Recognition
Crispian is recognised as a Best Lawyer in Alternative Dispute Resolution, Class Action Litigation and Insolvency and Reorganization Law.
Crispian is ranked as a Next Generation Partner in Dispute Resolution.
Crispian is ranked as a leading individual for Dispute Resolution.
Crispian is ranked as a leading individual in Dispute Resolution.
Crispian Lynch stands out for his expertise in the class action and regulatory spheres. Clients engaged in litigation in both these areas tend to cite him for similar qualities: one, who speaks of his "handling a pretty difficult and unusual situation really well," adds: "He gave us solid and timely advice"; another, who also calls him "very pragmatic and responsive," also references "excellent, very user-friendly and sound advice."
‘Crispian has a first-rate legal mind combined with admirable sangfroid in litigation‘
“Crispian Lynch stands out in the opinion of interviewees as a "very commercial, no-nonsense" practitioner whose impressive performance as a team player acts as a powerful draw for clients.”
A client notes that he is "good at understanding the strategy of both sides, why people are doing what they are doing and how things might be playing out."
“His handling of insolvency-related disputes attracts special recognition and he is also an experienced class action practitioner.”
Crispian was reccomended for Dispute resolution, Restructuring and insolvency, and Media and entertainment. The guide notes Crispian is ‘very diligent’ and ‘impressive in negotiations’.
Crispian was awarded Australian Disputes Star of the Year.
For more information on the Toyota Class Action, please click below or call 1800 324 984.