David specialises in private equity and general private M&A transactions and has been involved in a broad range of private and public work, including business and share acquisitions and disposals, inbound investments into Australia, corporate restructurings, venture capital transactions and joint ventures.
David is admitted as a solicitor in New South Wales, a solicitor in England and Wales (non-practising), an attorney in South Africa and an attorney in Bermuda (non-practising).
David is a Non-Executive Director of The Bradman Foundation. Prior to joining Gilbert + Tobin, David worked at Linklaters LLP in London as well as at leading firms in South Africa and Bermuda.
David has a Bachelor of Science and a Bachelor of Laws (First Class) from the University of the Witwatersrand, South Africa.
David regularly advises sponsors, investors and corporates both in relation to M&A transactions and commercial matters.
David’s recent experience includes advising:
- Quadrant Private Equity and APM management on the sale of a majority stake in Australia’s largest provider of disability employment services APM to American private equity firm Madison Dearborn Partners for an enterprise value of $1.5 billion.
- Quadrant Private Equity on the proposed acquisition of Total Tools.
- Commonwealth Superannuation Corporation on the sale of 50% of its stake in Canberra Data Centres to The Australian Government Future Fund, Australia’s sovereign wealth fund.
- Risk Capital Advisors on its sale to Willis Towers Watson.
- The Stars Group Inc. on its acquisition, through its subsidiary CrownBet, of William Hill Australia.
- The Stars Group Inc. on its acquisition of 80% in CrownBet.
- Quadrant Private Equity on the sale of Zip Industries to US headquartered Culligan, owned by Advent International Global Private Equity.
- Hankook Tire on its acquisition of JAX Tyres.
- Quadrant Private Equity on its acquisition and subsequent sale of Canberra Data Centres to Infratil and Commonwealth Superannuation Corporation.
- Aramex in relation to its strategic e-commerce joint venture with Australia Post.
- Aramex on its acquisition of Fastway Couriers.
- Prosegur S.A. on its acquisition of Chubb Security Service.
- Telstra on its $1 billion acquisition of Pacnet, an Asian telecommunications and services provider to carriers, multinational corporations and governments in the Asia-Pacific region.
- HOCHTIEF Airport GmbH on the sale of its interests in Sydney Airport to Canadian PSP Investments.
Awards and Recognition
David is ranked for Private Equity.
David has been recognised for his work in Mergers & Acquisitions Law and Venture Capital Law.
G+T examines 2021’s public M+A transactions valued over $50 million involving ASX-listed companies. The Review provides our perspective on the trends for Australian M+A in 2021 and what that might mean for you in 2022.