David is a partner in Gilbert + Tobin’s Corporate Advisory group.
David specialises in mergers and acquisitions, with a particular focus on private equity. He also advises on IPOs, public M&A, inbound investments into Australia, corporate restructurings, venture capital transactions and joint ventures. David regularly advises financial sponsors, investors and corporates both in relation to M&A transactions and commercial matters.
David has a Bachelor of Science and a Bachelor of Laws (First Class) from the University of the Witwatersrand, South Africa and is admitted as a solicitor in New South Wales, England and Wales (non-practising), South Africa and Bermuda (non-practising).
David is a Non-Executive Director of The Bradman Foundation.
David's experience includes advising:
- Quadrant Private Equity on its acquisition of leading healthcare distribution business Aidacare.
- Quadrant Private Equity on the sale of autoparts distributor MotorOne to a Quadrant-managed continuation fund.
- Advanced Health Limited, listed on the Johannesburg Stock Exchange, on its sale of the PresMed Day Surgery group to Intermediate Capital Group (ICG).
- American Industrial Partners on the sale of mining services and technology business CR Mining to Swedish-headquartered Epiroc.
- Vast Solar on its merger with a special purpose acquisition company (SPAC) backed by NYSE-listed Nabors Industries, which will result in Vast Solar listing on the NYSE.
- The shareholders of Altus Group, Australia’s largest full-service traffic management business, on its sale to Pacific Equity Partners.
- Chicago based PE firm BDT Capital on the sale of Billi Water to UK-listed Strix plc.
- The shareholders of facilities management business B.I.C. Services on its sale to South African listed Bidvest Group.
- Advanced Personnel Management (APM) on its ~$1bn IPO and ASX listing in 2021.
- Komatsu on its acquisition of mining services and technology business Mine Site Technologies Global (MST Global) from Odyssey Private Equity.
- HRL Morrison & Co and Commonwealth Superannuation Corporation on the sale of CSC’s 50% stake in the Macarthur Wind Farm to Palisade Investment Partners and First Sentier Investors.
- Infratil on the sale of its 80% shareholding in Perth Energy Holdings to AGL Energy.
- Commonwealth Superannuation Corporation on the sale of 50% of its stake in Canberra Data Centres to The Australian Government Future Fund, Australia’s sovereign wealth fund.
- Quadrant Private Equity and the Quadrant Growth Fund on many of its investments including:
- Quadrant’s acquisitions and subsequent sales of APM, Canberra Data Centres, CR Mining, Zip Industries
- Quadrant Growth Fund’s acquisition of Quad Lock
- Risk Capital Advisors, the leading Australian W&I brokers, on its sale to US-listed Willis Towers Watson.
- The Stars Group Inc. on its acquisition of 80% of CrownBet and subsequent acquisition, through CrownBet, of William Hill Australia.
- Aramex, listed in Dubai, on its acquisition of Fastway Couriers in Australia and New Zealand.
- Telstra on its $1 billion acquisition of Pacnet, an Asian telecommunications and services provider to carriers, multinational corporations and governments in the Asia-Pacific region.
Awards and Recognition
David is ranked for Private Equity.
David has been recognised for his work in Mergers & Acquisitions Law and Venture Capital Law.
Our expertise and solutions
for generating cleaner, greener futures
Read our analysis of Australian public mergers & acquisitions in 2022
Demand for sustainable practices is driving change across corporate Australia, find out the latest industry insights and decarbonising opportunities.