Michael is a partner in Gilbert + Tobin's Technology + Digital group.
He has a wealth of experience in Australia and throughout South East Asia in the procurement and management of complex technology solutions and associated services including complex commercial contracting arrangements.
Michael also advises clients on a broad range of projects including large scale outsourcing projects, complex systems integration projects and more recently the strategic acquisition of cloud services. He also has extensive experience supporting M&A transactions, advising on business separation and transition issues.
Michael has a Bachelor of Commerce (with
Michael’s recent experience includes advising:
- BHP Billiton on its Next Generation Outsourcing project, in particular in respect of the Service Desk, Software and End User Computing service bundles;
aregional telecommunications company on the redesign of its infrastructure and applications outsourcing panel arrangements. This involved advising the client on world class procurement models designed to drive down total cost of ownership while increasing ﬂexibility and alignment client business objectives;
- an Australian energy company on its end-to-end IT Outsourcing Arrangements and Business Process Outsourcing Arrangements;
- a large regional infrastructure services company on a “ﬁrst of its kind” work management system. This involved the procurement of the system components and assisting the client to develop and implement protocols with suppliers, customers and employees designed to protect the client’s competitive advantage gained from the new system;
- a signiﬁcant customer loyalty program on the development of an identity and data matching platform which collects customer data from web and non-web channels, synchronising customer proﬁles across channels, and making that data available for use with targeted marketing activities;
- a major telecommunications company in relation to a number of pieces of critical national technology
infrastructure includingthe National Broadband Network, Property Exchange Australia (world’s ﬁrst online property exchange platform), and E-Health (Australia’s personally controlled electronic health record platform);
- a major international toll road operator with the implementation of a multi-tenanted tolling system across multiple toll roads in New South Wales and Victoria; and
- a major telecommunications operator on all aspects of its 5 year IT Transformation
program includingcustomer care and billing transformation, operational support systems transformation, mediationtransformation and enterprise data warehouse transformation.
Awards and Recognition
Ranked in Band #2 in TMT: Information Technology
Recognised in Commercial Law, Information Technology Law, Privacy and Data Security Law, Telecommunications Law
Recognised as a Recommended Technology, Media & Telecommunications lawyer (NSW)
"He's always a go-to for anything technically complex and is a very effective negotiator. His mastery of soft skills is second to none."
Finalist - Technology Partner of the Year
Finalist - Media and Telecommunications Partner of the Year
The Digital Hub brings together the key issues you need to think about in your business as well as providing practical toolkits and regular updates on the latest digital developments.
G+T examines 2021’s public M+A transactions valued over $50 million involving ASX-listed companies. The Review provides our perspective on the trends for Australian M+A in 2021 and what that might mean for you in 2022.