Michael is a partner in Gilbert + Tobin's TMT group.
Michael specialises in complex commercial contracting arrangements. He has a wealth of experience in Australia and throughout South East Asia in the procurement and management of complex technology solutions and associated services. Michael has advised clients on a broad range of projects including large scale outsourcing projects, complex systems integration projects and more recently the strategic acquisition of cloud services. He also has extensive experience supporting M&A transactions, advising on business separation and transition issues.
Michael’s recent experience includes:
- advising BHP Billiton on its Next Generation Outsourcing project, in particular in respect of the Service Desk, Software and End User Computing service bundles
- advising a regional telecommunications company on the redesign of its infrastructure and applications outsourcing panel arrangements. This involved advising the client on world class procurement models designed to drive down total cost of ownership while increasing ﬂexibility and alignment to client business objectives
- advising an Australian energy company on its end-to-end IT Outsourcing Arrangements and Business Process Outsourcing Arrangements
- advising a large regional infrastructure services company on a “ﬁrst of its kind” work management system. This involved the procurement of the system components and assisting the client to develop and implement protocols with suppliers, customers and employees designed to protect the client’s competitive advantage gained from the new system
- advising a signiﬁcant customer loyalty program on the development of an identity and data matching platform which collects customer data from web and non-web channels, syncs customer proﬁles across channels, and makes that data available for use with targeted marketing activities
- advising a major telecommunications company in relation to a number of pieces of critical national technology infrastructure including the National Broadband Network, Property Exchange Australia (world’s ﬁrst online property exchange platform), and E-Health (Australia’s personally controlled electronic health record platform)
- advising a major international toll road operator with the implementation of a multi-tenanted tolling system across multiple toll roads in New South Wales and Victoria
- advising a major telecommunications operator with all aspects of its 5 year IT Transformation program including customer care and billing transformation, operational support systems transformation, mediation transformation and enterprise data warehouse transformation
Michael was the exclusive winner of the 2014 ILO Client Choice Award for Information Technology in Australia and has been recognised as a leading TMT lawyer by Asialaw Leading Lawyers 2015 and Doyle’s Guide 2013, 2015 and 2016. Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2017 notes that Michael has ‘a strong knowledge of technology law’.
Michael has a Bachelor of Commerce (with Honours) and a Bachelor of Laws (with Honours) from Monash University.
+61 3 8656 3329