Peter is a partner in Gilbert + Tobin's Corporate Advisory group.
Peter has more than 25 years’ experience in the industry and is regularly ranked as one of Australia's leading capital markets, mergers & acquisitions and private equity lawyers in national and international surveys such as Chambers Global, Best Lawyers, Who’s Who, Asia Pacific 500, IFLR and Euromoney’s Guides.
Peter’s Corporate Advisory experience includes:
Major M&A transactions
- Pacific Equity Partners and The Carlyle Group on the proposed ~$2.8 billion acquisition of Link Group.
- Quadrant Private Equity on its $100 million investment in My Muscle Chef, an Australia-based packaged meals business.
- KKR on the proposed acquisition of a 55% interest in Colonial First State (CFS) and establishment of a joint venture with Commonwealth Bank of Australia, with the transaction valuing CFS at $3.4 billion.
- Westpac Group on the sale of its Vendor Finance business to Angle Finance, a portfolio company of Cerberus Capital Management.
- Quadrant Private Equity on its $500 million+ acquisition of ASX-listed digital signage and sports advertising company QMS Media.
- Quadrant Private Equity on its acquisition of GraysOnline.
- CPE Capital on its acquisition of Marand Precision Engineering.
- KKR on the $2 billion takeover of MYOB Limited.
- TPG Capital on its $1 billion (enterprise value) acquisition of Greencross Limited.
- Carlyle International Energy Partners on Australian aspects of the acquisition of the EnerMech Group.
- Tyson Foods, Inc. on Australian aspects of the acquisition of Keystone Foods.
- Harbour Energy on its $14.4 billion bid for Santos Limited.
- CHAMP Private Equity on its $1 billion sale of Accolade Wines.
- IOOF on its acquisition of ANZ’s Wealth Management division and related capital raising.
- CHAMP Private Equity on its A$170 million acquisition of Jaybro.
- Beach Energy on its $1.58 billion acquisition of Lattice Energy and related capital raising.
- Quadrant on its $1 billion sale of Real Petfood.
- Ardent Leisure in relation to its minority shareholder’s requisitioning of an EGM.
- CHAMP on its investment in Dutton Garage.
- Carlyle and Pacific Equity Partners on their US$930 million joint acquisition of iNova.
- KKR on its acquisition of a majority stake in Laser Clinics Australia.
- APN Property Group’s sale of Generation Healthcare Management to NorthWest (and a strategic interest in Generation Healthcare REIT).
- Carlyle on its sale of its interest in Coates Hire.
- Wesfarmers in respect of its strategic review of Officeworks.
- TPG consortium’s $2.7 billion proposal to acquire Fairfax Media.
- APN Outdoor in respect of its proposed $1.6 billion merger-of-equals with oOh!media.
- Greenstone on the sale of a 44% interest in the Real Insurance business to Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec.
- Quadrant on its $1 billion sale of Canberra Data Centres to Morrison & Co.
- Ardent Leisure on the sale of its health clubs business to Quadrant Private Equity for $260 million.
- Ardent Leisure on the sale process for the d’Albora Marinas business.
- CHAMP on its acquisition of Pepperstone.
- The vendors of UPG Group, Fratelli Fresh and Rockpool Group in their sale to Quadrant Private Equity.
- CHAMP on its acquisition of a 50% interest in Containerchain Singapore.
- Scepter Group on its $7 billion proposal to acquire Santos Limited.
- Carlyle and TPG on their proposed $700 million joint acquisition of Greencross Limited.
- Wilmar International Limited and First Pacific Company Limited on the $1.9 billion acquisition of Goodman Fielder.
- Quadrant Private Equity on its purchase of VIP Petfoods.
- CHAMP and Headland Capital on the $620 million takeover of Miclyn Express.
- Westpac on its $8 billion (enterprise value) acquisition of Lloyds Banking Australian businesses.
- GrainCorp on the $3.4 billion takeover from Archer Daniels Midland.
- The consortium comprising Noble Group, Posco Australia, National Pension Service of Korea, Korea Investment Corporation and Korean Finance Corporation on the proposed acquisition of ASX listed company Arrium Limited (approx $3 billion).
- Quadrant on the acquisition and divestment of City Farmers and the acquisition of Zip Industries.
- CHAMP Private Equity on its $186 million public-to-private of ASX listed company Gerard Lighting Group Limited.
- Pacific Equity Partners on its $1.1 billion public-to-private of ASX listed Spotless Group.
- Blackstone on its $700 million takeover of ASX listed Valad Property Group.
- Blackstone’s $9.4 billion acquisition of ASX listed Centro’s US property asset portfolio.
- Carlyle and TPG’s $2.7 billion takeover of ASX listed company Healthscope.
- Chinalco on its proposed equity and asset investment in ASX and LSE dual-listed Rio Tinto (US$19.5 billion).
- Chinalco on its US $14 billion acquisition of 12% of Rio Tinto Plc.
- CVC Asia Pacific’s $5.5 billion acquisition of Nine Entertainment Co.
- Macquarie and Morgan Stanley as joint lead managers and underwriters of Nuix's ~$1.8 billion IPO.
- Adore Beauty on its IPO and ASX listing.
- UBS as underwriter of the $600 million PAITREO conducted by Tabcorp Holdings Limited.
- Goldman Sachs, Credit Suisse, Citi and Bell Potter as underwriters of the $250 million placement plus ANREO conducted by Coronado Global Resources Inc.
- UBS and Macquarie as joint lead managers and underwriters of Atlas Arteria's $420 million institutional placement.
- J.P. Morgan as the sole lead manager and underwriter of Ramsay Health Care Limited’s $1.2 billion placement and share purchase plan.
- Macquarie as lead manager and underwriter of the $225m placement by IDP Education.
- Citigroup and RBC Capital Markets as joint lead managers and underwriters of NEXTDC Limited's $672 million placement.
- J.P. Morgan as the sole lead manager and underwriter of Cochlear’s $880 million placement and $50 million share purchase plan.
- Morgan Stanley and UBS as joint lead managers of a $1.35 billion entitlement offer and placement by Atlas Arteria.
- J.P. Morgan and Morgan Stanley as joint lead managers of the IPO and ASX listing of Tyro Payments Limited.
- Property Guru on its proposed IPO and ASX listing.
- Goldman Sachs, Macquarie and UBS as joint lead managers of the proposed IPO of Latitude Financial Services.
- Macquarie as lead manager of a $275 million capital raising by Magellan Financial Group Limited.
- Goldman Sachs, UBS, Credit Suisse and Bell Potter as joint lead managers on Coronado Global Resources Inc.'s IPO and ASX listing.
- Citi as lead manager of a $285 million institutional placement by Appen Limited.
- The joint lead managers on the IPO workstream of the dual track sale process for Woolworths’ fuel business (ultimately resulted in a trade sale).
- Citi as lead manager of a $281 million institutional placement by NEXTDC Limited.
- Morgan Stanley as the lead manager of the New Energy Solar Fund IPO ($205 million).
- Morgan Stanley, J.P. Morgan and CICC, the joint lead managers, in relation to Yancoal Australia’s US$2.5 billion entitlement offer to fund its acquisition of Coal & Allied from Rio Tinto.
- The dual-track IPO and trade sale process of Zip Industries Limited, which resulted in the sale of Zip by Quadrant Private Equity to Advent-backed Culligan International.
- The dual-track IPO and trade sale process of Moly-Cop, which resulted in the sale of Moly-Cop by Arrium (in administration) to American Industrial Partners for an enterprise value of US$1.23 billion.
- Dual track process of Accolade Wines for CHAMP.
- Goldman Sachs, Macquarie Capital, UBS, Credit Suisse and Morgan Stanley as joint lead managers of the Alinta Energy IPO.
- Macquarie Capital and UBS as joint lead managers of Autosports' $480 million IPO.
- Macquarie and Goldman Sachs as joint lead managers of the Bravura IPO (market capitalisation of $310 million).
- Acted for the underwriters, Credit Suisse and UBS, on APN News & Media’s $182 million accelerated entitlement offer.
- Bell Potter as lead manager of the QANTM Intellectual Property IPO (market capitalisation of $295 million).
- Citigroup and Goldman Sachs on the Scottish Pacific IPO.
- Macquarie and Goldman Sachs on the amaysim IPO ($207 million).
- Credit Suisse, Macquarie Capital, UBS, Citigroup, Goldman Sachs and Morgan Stanley on Ingham’s Group's $1.5 billion IPO.
- Citi as lead manager of NEXTDC’s accelerated non-renounceable pro rata entitlement offer and placement to raise $150 million.
- Credit Suisse and UBS as joint lead managers of Mayne Pharma’s accelerated non-renounceable pro rata entitlement offer and placement to raise $888 million.
- JP Morgan and Macquarie Capital on Reliance Worldwide Corporation’s $1 billion initial public offering and listing on ASX.
- UBS, Goldman Sachs and Merrill Lynch on MYOB's $2.25 billion IPO.
- UBS and Goldman Sachs as joint lead managers of the Costa Group’s $840 million initial public offering and listing on ASX.
- JP Morgan and Bell Potter as joint lead managers and underwriters of the McGrath IPO, with a market capitalisation of $282 million.
- Goldman Sachs and Macquarie as joint lead managers and underwriters of the IDP Education IPO, with a market capitalisation of $663 million.
- Bell Potter and Evans and Partners as joint lead managers and underwriters of the IVE Group IPO, with a market capitalisation of $178 million.
- RBC Capital Markets and Bell Potter as joint lead managers and underwriters of the $40 million capital raising of FAR Limited.
- Caltex on Chevron’s $4.7 billion sale by block trade of its 50% shareholding in Caltex.
- Morgan Stanley and UBS as joint lead managers and underwriters on the $275.3 million IPO of Integral Diagnostics Limited.
- Goldman Sachs and Macquarie Bank as underwriters of the Pepper Group IPO.
- Greenstone on its $1 billion initial public offering.
Awards and Recognition
Peter is ranked Band 1 for Corporate/M&A, Private Equity and Capital Markets: Equity.
Peter is recognised for his work in Corporate/Governance Practice, Corporate Law, Equity Capital Markets Law, Mergers & Acquisitions Law and Private Equity Law.
Peter is recognised in the Hall of Fame and ranked as a leading individual in Corporate/M&A and Capital Markets: Equity.
Peter is recognised as a Market Leader in M&A, Private Equity and Capital Markets: Equity.
Peter ranks as Band 1 for Capital Markets: Equity and Corporate/M&A.
Peter was named 'Lawyer of the Year' for Equity Capital Markets Law.
Peter has been recognised as Best Lawyer for his work in Private Equity and Corporate Law.