Peter is a partner in Gilbert + Tobin's Corporate Advisory group.
Peter has more than 25 years’ experience in the industry and is regularly ranked as one of Australia's leading capital markets, mergers & acquisitions and private equity lawyers in national and international surveys such as Chambers Global, Best Lawyers, Who’s Who, Asia Pacific 500, IFLR and Euromoney’s Guides.
Peter’s Corporate Advisory experience includes:
Major M&A transactions
- Pacific Equity Partners and The Carlyle Group on the proposed ~$2.8 billion acquisition of Link Group.
- Quadrant Private Equity on its $100 million investment in My Muscle Chef, an Australia-based packaged meals business.
- KKR on the proposed acquisition of a 55% interest in Colonial First State (CFS) and establishment of a joint venture with Commonwealth Bank of Australia, with the transaction valuing CFS at $3.4 billion.
- Westpac Group on the sale of its Vendor Finance business to Angle Finance, a portfolio company of Cerberus Capital Management.
- Quadrant Private Equity on its $500 million+ acquisition of ASX-listed digital signage and sports advertising company QMS Media.
- Quadrant Private Equity on its acquisition of GraysOnline.
- CPE Capital on its acquisition of Marand Precision Engineering.
- KKR on the $2 billion takeover of MYOB Limited.
- TPG Capital on its $1 billion (enterprise value) acquisition of Greencross Limited.
- Carlyle International Energy Partners on Australian aspects of the acquisition of the EnerMech Group.
- Tyson Foods, Inc. on Australian aspects of the acquisition of Keystone Foods.
- Harbour Energy on its $14.4 billion bid for Santos Limited.
- CHAMP Private Equity on its $1 billion sale of Accolade Wines.
- IOOF on its acquisition of ANZ’s Wealth Management division and related capital raising.
- CHAMP Private Equity on its A$170 million acquisition of Jaybro.
- Beach Energy on its $1.58 billion acquisition of Lattice Energy and related capital raising.
- Quadrant on its $1 billion sale of Real Petfood.
- Ardent Leisure in relation to its minority shareholder’s requisitioning of an EGM.
- CHAMP on its investment in Dutton Garage.
- Carlyle and Pacific Equity Partners on their US$930 million joint acquisition of iNova.
- KKR on its acquisition of a majority stake in Laser Clinics Australia.
- APN Property Group’s sale of Generation Healthcare Management to NorthWest (and a strategic interest in Generation Healthcare REIT).
- Carlyle on its sale of its interest in Coates Hire.
- Wesfarmers in respect of its strategic review of Officeworks.
- TPG consortium’s $2.7 billion proposal to acquire Fairfax Media.
- APN Outdoor in respect of its proposed $1.6 billion merger-of-equals with oOh!media.
- Greenstone on the sale of a 44% interest in the Real Insurance business to Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec.
- Quadrant on its $1 billion sale of Canberra Data Centres to Morrison & Co.
- Ardent Leisure on the sale of its health clubs business to Quadrant Private Equity for $260 million.
- Ardent Leisure on the sale process for the d’Albora Marinas business.
- CHAMP on its acquisition of Pepperstone.
- The vendors of UPG Group, Fratelli Fresh and Rockpool Group in their sale to Quadrant Private Equity.
- CHAMP on its acquisition of a 50% interest in Containerchain Singapore.
- Scepter Group on its $7 billion proposal to acquire Santos Limited.
- Carlyle and TPG on their proposed $700 million joint acquisition of Greencross Limited.
- Wilmar International Limited and First Pacific Company Limited on the $1.9 billion acquisition of Goodman Fielder.
- Quadrant Private Equity on its purchase of VIP Petfoods.
- CHAMP and Headland Capital on the $620 million takeover of Miclyn Express.
- Westpac on its $8 billion (enterprise value) acquisition of Lloyds Banking Australian businesses.
- GrainCorp on the $3.4 billion takeover from Archer Daniels Midland.
- The consortium comprising Noble Group, Posco Australia, National Pension Service of Korea, Korea Investment Corporation and Korean Finance Corporation on the proposed acquisition of ASX listed company Arrium Limited (approx $3 billion).
- Quadrant on the acquisition and divestment of City Farmers and the acquisition of Zip Industries.
- CHAMP Private Equity on its $186 million public-to-private of ASX listed company Gerard Lighting Group Limited.
- Pacific Equity Partners on its $1.1 billion public-to-private of ASX listed Spotless Group.
- Blackstone on its $700 million takeover of ASX listed Valad Property Group.
- Blackstone’s $9.4 billion acquisition of ASX listed Centro’s US property asset portfolio.
- Carlyle and TPG’s $2.7 billion takeover of ASX listed company Healthscope.
- Chinalco on its proposed equity and asset investment in ASX and LSE dual-listed Rio Tinto (US$19.5 billion).
- Chinalco on its US $14 billion acquisition of 12% of Rio Tinto Plc.
- CVC Asia Pacific’s $5.5 billion acquisition of Nine Entertainment Co.
- Macquarie and Morgan Stanley as joint lead managers and underwriters of Nuix's ~$1.8 billion IPO.
- Adore Beauty on its IPO and ASX listing.
- UBS as underwriter of the $600 million PAITREO conducted by Tabcorp Holdings Limited.
- Goldman Sachs, Credit Suisse, Citi and Bell Potter as underwriters of the $250 million placement plus ANREO conducted by Coronado Global Resources Inc.
- UBS and Macquarie as joint lead managers and underwriters of Atlas Arteria's $420 million institutional placement.
- J.P. Morgan as the sole lead manager and underwriter of Ramsay Health Care Limited’s $1.2 billion placement and share purchase plan.
- Macquarie as lead manager and underwriter of the $225m placement by IDP Education.
- Citigroup and RBC Capital Markets as joint lead managers and underwriters of NEXTDC Limited's $672 million placement.
- J.P. Morgan as the sole lead manager and underwriter of Cochlear’s $880 million placement and $50 million share purchase plan.
- Morgan Stanley and UBS as joint lead managers of a $1.35 billion entitlement offer and placement by Atlas Arteria.
- J.P. Morgan and Morgan Stanley as joint lead managers of the IPO and ASX listing of Tyro Payments Limited.
- Property Guru on its proposed IPO and ASX listing.
- Goldman Sachs, Macquarie and UBS as joint lead managers of the proposed IPO of Latitude Financial Services.
- Macquarie as lead manager of a $275 million capital raising by Magellan Financial Group Limited.
- Goldman Sachs, UBS, Credit Suisse and Bell Potter as joint lead managers on Coronado Global Resources Inc.'s IPO and ASX listing.
- Citi as lead manager of a $285 million institutional placement by Appen Limited.
- The joint lead managers on the IPO workstream of the dual track sale process for Woolworths’ fuel business (ultimately resulted in a trade sale).
- Citi as lead manager of a $281 million institutional placement by NEXTDC Limited.
- Morgan Stanley as the lead manager of the New Energy Solar Fund IPO ($205 million).
- Morgan Stanley, J.P. Morgan and CICC, the joint lead managers, in relation to Yancoal Australia’s US$2.5 billion entitlement offer to fund its acquisition of Coal & Allied from Rio Tinto.
- The dual-track IPO and trade sale process of Zip Industries Limited, which resulted in the sale of Zip by Quadrant Private Equity to Advent-backed Culligan International.
- The dual-track IPO and trade sale process of Moly-Cop, which resulted in the sale of Moly-Cop by Arrium (in administration) to American Industrial Partners for an enterprise value of US$1.23 billion.
- Dual track process of Accolade Wines for CHAMP.
- Goldman Sachs, Macquarie Capital, UBS, Credit Suisse and Morgan Stanley as joint lead managers of the Alinta Energy IPO.
- Macquarie Capital and UBS as joint lead managers of Autosports' $480 million IPO.
- Macquarie and Goldman Sachs as joint lead managers of the Bravura IPO (market capitalisation of $310 million).
- Acted for the underwriters, Credit Suisse and UBS, on APN News & Media’s $182 million accelerated entitlement offer.
- Bell Potter as lead manager of the QANTM Intellectual Property IPO (market capitalisation of $295 million).
- Citigroup and Goldman Sachs on the Scottish Pacific IPO.
- Macquarie and Goldman Sachs on the amaysim IPO ($207 million).
- Credit Suisse, Macquarie Capital, UBS, Citigroup, Goldman Sachs and Morgan Stanley on Ingham’s Group's $1.5 billion IPO.
- Citi as lead manager of NEXTDC’s accelerated non-renounceable pro rata entitlement offer and placement to raise $150 million.
- Credit Suisse and UBS as joint lead managers of Mayne Pharma’s accelerated non-renounceable pro rata entitlement offer and placement to raise $888 million.
- JP Morgan and Macquarie Capital on Reliance Worldwide Corporation’s $1 billion initial public offering and listing on ASX.
- UBS, Goldman Sachs and Merrill Lynch on MYOB's $2.25 billion IPO.
- UBS and Goldman Sachs as joint lead managers of the Costa Group’s $840 million initial public offering and listing on ASX.
- JP Morgan and Bell Potter as joint lead managers and underwriters of the McGrath IPO, with a market capitalisation of $282 million.
- Goldman Sachs and Macquarie as joint lead managers and underwriters of the IDP Education IPO, with a market capitalisation of $663 million.
- Bell Potter and Evans and Partners as joint lead managers and underwriters of the IVE Group IPO, with a market capitalisation of $178 million.
- RBC Capital Markets and Bell Potter as joint lead managers and underwriters of the $40 million capital raising of FAR Limited.
- Caltex on Chevron’s $4.7 billion sale by block trade of its 50% shareholding in Caltex.
- Morgan Stanley and UBS as joint lead managers and underwriters on the $275.3 million IPO of Integral Diagnostics Limited.
- Goldman Sachs and Macquarie Bank as underwriters of the Pepper Group IPO.
- Greenstone on its $1 billion initial public offering.
Awards and Recognition
Peter is recognised for his work in Corporate/Governance Practice, Corporate Law, Equity Capital Markets Law, Mergers & Acquisitions Law and Private Equity Law.
Peter was named 'Lawyer of the Year' for Equity Capital Markets Law.
Peter has been recognised as Best Lawyer for his work in Private Equity and Corporate Law.
Peter ranks as Band 1 for Corporate, M&A, Private Equity and Capital Markets.
Peter ranks as a leading individual in the Capital Markets and Corporate/M&A categories.
Peter ranks as Band 1 for Capital Markets: Equity and Corporate/M&A.
Peter was a finalist as Partner of the Year - Commercial.