Rebecca is a partner in Gilbert + Tobin's Disputes + Investigations group.
Rebecca has extensive experience in defending class actions and other complex commercial disputes in several jurisdictions, having represented some of the world’s largest corporations in precedent-setting shareholder, product liability, competition/antitrust and other class action and commercial proceedings in Australia, the United States and Canada. Rebecca brings a unique, well-rounded and international perspective to the litigation and defence of complex commercial disputes.
She also has particular expertise in international commercial arbitration, investor-state arbitration, and the alternative dispute resolution of complex commercial disputes.
Rebecca has been recognised by The Legal 500 as a Next Generation Partner in class actions and is a member of the International Association of Defense Counsel (IADC), an invitation-only, peer-reviewed group of the world’s leading defence lawyers from global law firms and Fortune 500 companies.
Rebecca’s experience includes:
- securing the largest judgment in Australian history in a class action against Toyota Motor Corporation in Williams v Toyota Motor Corporation Australia Limited  FCA 344
- acting for LCM Funding in Stanwell Corporation Ltd v LCM Funding Pty Ltd  FCA 1430 and LCM Funding Pty Ltd v Stanwell Corporation Limited  FCAFC 103 in a successful challenge to the correctness of the Full Court decision in Brookfield Multiplex Ltd v International Litigation Funding Partners Pte Ltd  FCAFC 147
- acting for Credit Suisse in prosecuting claims against insurers associated with the collapse of Greensill worth over US$2 billion
- acting for QBE Insurance (Australia) Ltd in a class action regarding consumer credit insurance products
- acting for JP Morgan in relation to the ACCC's criminal cartel prosecution against ANZ, Citi Group and Deutsche Bank and various individuals in relation to a $2.5 billion capital raising by ANZ in August 2015
- acting in numerous shareholder, product liability and competition/antitrust class action proceedings in the United States and Canada, including for:
- Microsoft Corporation and Microsoft Canada in a competition class action regarding the sale of operating system and software products in the US, Canada and the European Union
- General Electric Corporation in a shareholder class action for alleged misrepresentations and misstatements in offering of securities
- Johnson & Johnson on a number of product liability, consumer protection and labelling/marketing individual actions and class actions arising out of their sale and supply of talcum powder in North America
- Ferring Inc. on a number of product liability, consumer protection and labelling/marketing individual actions and class actions arising out of their sale and supply of IVF drug Bravelle in North America
- Canada Bread Company in a price fixing class action regarding the sale of packaged bread
- Samsung Electronics in a price fixing class action regarding optical disc drives
Awards and Recognition
Rebecca is ranked as a Next Generation Partner in Dispute Resolution – Class actions.
Rebecca is recognised as a recommended lawyer in Dispute Resolution: Litigation and Dispute Resolution: Class Actions.
Rebecca is recognised as a leading class actions lawyer in Australia.
Rebecca has been appointed as a member of the International Association of Defense Counsel (IADC), an invitation-only, peer-reviewed group of the world’s leading defence lawyers from global law firms and Fortune 500 companies.
For more information on the Toyota Class Action, please click below or call 1800 324 984.