2016 has been another busy year for Infrastructure regulation, with a raft of reviews, inquiries and important decisions. This note identifies four of the major trends that have either emerged or accelerated during the year, all of which have the potential to significantly impact network owners, users, investors and regulators.
Enormous amounts of time, money and effort go into infrastructure projects well before the physical aspects of a project begin. Expert legal advice is essential to giving project the best start and for ensuring an efficient and effective response to contingencies.
Gilbert + Tobin’s infrastructure team has a deep understanding of the commercial drivers and risks associated with infrastructure projects and transactions. We advise a wide range of developers, financiers, government and industry bodies on some of Australia’s largest and most difficult infrastructure transactions.
We recognise that infrastructure projects need a variety of different legal specialisations. Our approach is an integrated one in which we bring together a team with the necessary skills required to deliver the best results for our client.
- Market leading advice on regulatory matters
- Leading expertise in structuring the funding for the project
- Strong relationships with banks and other projects funders
- An understanding and an ability to work well with government agencies
- An approach and ability which allows us to work constructively with all stakeholders to achieve a successful outcome for the project.
- The Gilbert + Tobin team were awarded M&A Deal of the Year and Australian Deal of the Year (NSW Electricity Networks acquisition of Transgrid) at the 2016 Australasian Law Awards.
- Gilbert + Tobin advised on the TransGrid deal which was awarded M&A Deal of the Year at the 2015 Project Finance International Awards.
- Gilbert + Tobin team advised on the Northern Beaches Hospital PPP which was awarded the Advisory Excellence Award at the 2015 Infrastructure Partnerships Australia Awards.
- Gilbert + Tobin won Property, Infrastructure and Projects Deal of the Year at the 2015 Australasian Law Awards.