Gilbert + Tobin’s infrastructure team has a deep understanding of the commercial drivers and risks associated with infrastructure projects and transactions. We advise a wide range of developers, sponsors, financiers, government and industry bodies on some of Australia’s largest and most difficult infrastructure transactions. We recognise that infrastructure projects need a variety of different legal specialisations. Our approach is an integrated one in which we bring together a team with the necessary skills required to deliver the best results for our client and achieve a successful outcome for the project. We are able to leverage our firm wide expertise to deliver often novel solutions to clients on complex major projects.
- Health (hospital projects and implementation of associated financing and clinical / construction arrangements).
- Water (treatment and storage solutions for resources infrastructure and social purposes)
- Energy (renewable energy transactions, major transactions in the energy industry and gas pipeline transactions, and waste-to-energy facilities).
- Transport (rail projects, airports, ports and roads – both motorways and toll roads)
- Social housing (including student accommodation projects).
- Mining and resources (resource exploration, development, mine closure, remediation and mining)
- Oil & Gas (financing, asset sales and joint ventures, and development of greenfield projects)
We have a particular focus on:
- Major infrastructure and project financings – there are few major infrastructure deals in the Australian market that the team does not have a role on.
- Privatisations – our history of major infrastructure privatisations is unrivalled, including roles on the privatisations of TransGrid, AusGrid and Endeavour Energy.
- Acquisitions – the team works on major acquisitions in the infrastructure space including Beach Energy’s A$1.585 billion acquisition of Lattice Energy and the sale of the Snowtown 2 Wind Farm (the biggest transaction of its type in Australia).
- Construction – our construction team plays a key role in supporting our clients on all construction-related aspects of major transactions, including the Crowlands wind farm and the Springvale Mine and Mt Piper Power Station.
Our experience includes advising:
- Veolia on its ground-breaking project for a new $450 million waste-to-energy facility in WA – the first of its kind in Australia.
- A syndicate of lenders in connection with the A$3.5 billion debt facilities to fund the Snowy 2.0 pumped-hydro power station project.
- Tilt Renewables on the $1.073 billion sale of the Snowtown 2 Wind Farm, the second-largest wind farm in Australia and the biggest transaction of its type in Australia.
- A syndicate of lenders to the Destination Brisbane Consortium on the $1.6 billion funding for Brisbane’s Queen’s Wharf resort development.
- Tilt Renewables on the project financing of the 130MW Waipipi Wind Farm in South Taranaki, New Zealand, the first project financed wind farm in New Zealand.
- ANZ on the financing of Tetris Capital’s successful bid for SA Schools PPP.
- The financiers to the successful bidders for the QEII Medical Centre car park PPP.
- Palisade Investment Partners in respect to its successful bid to become commercial partner in the operation and development of the Sunshine Coast Airport and associated debt financing.
- Veolia and Infrastructure Capital Group on the proposal to build, operate and maintain a water treatment plant for Centennial Coal and EnergyAustralia.
- Cooper Energy on the project financing for its A$355 million Sole Gas Project.
- Reliance Rail in relation to the refinancing of Australia’s largest PPP (valued at A$3.6 billion) between the NSW government and Downer EDI, including the rolling stock PPP contract, credit wrapped bonds and bank debt, to deliver the Waratah trains on the Sydney Rail network.
- Trustpower Limited and Tilt Renewables Limited on the A$800 million financing for the recently demerged renewable asset business and their associated individual projects.
- Qube Logistics on its joint A$9.05 billion bid for Asciano, including debt and equity financing and competition law aspects.
- A syndicate of 12 senior financiers regarding senior secured debt funding of the winning consortium bid for the A$10.3 billion privatisation of the TransGrid electricity transmission network, by way of a 99 year lease from the NSW Government.
- The syndicate of financiers in respect of the Hastings consortium’s role as successful bidder for the privatisation (by way of 99 year lease) of Port of Newcastle and the sale and purchase of underlying assets.
- National Australia Bank Limited and Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation as financiers to Fotowatio Renewable Ventures, funding the multimillion-dollar construction of the Clare Solar Farm project.
- Healthscope in relation to all aspects of its successful bid for and ongoing development of the NSW Northern Beaches Hospital PPP.
- Financiers to Pacific Hydro on its A$600 million partial refinance and establishment of a global corporate funding platform in relation to its renewable energy projects in Chile and Australia.
- Alinta Energy on its A$1.22 billion corporate debt financing in connection with the proposed IPO, and its subsequent trade sale. We also advised Alinta Energy on the financing of its acquisition of the Loy Yang B Power Station.
- The successful syndicate of lenders that financed the privatisation of the Sydney Desalination Plant, and subsequent refinancings.
- The bank lenders to the successful bidders, Infratil/Commonwealth Superannuation Corporation Consortium on the ANU Student Accommodation Project, the largest student accommodation transaction of this type to successfully come to market in Australia.
- The bank syndicate (including all four Australian major domestic banks) on all aspects of the financing (and subsequent refinancing) of the privatisation of the Cairns and Mackay Airports in North Queensland.
Awards + Recognition
Ranked for Project Development – Power, Project Development – Transport, Project Development – Oil and Gas, and Project Development – Mining.
“The team is able to do a good cross section of work, working as bank advisors and as sponsor advisors. They have a great mix of legal skills and commerciality.”
"G+T provides comprehensive and commercial advice and looks at issues through the lens of the law as well as with its knowledge of the industry."
M&A Deal of the Year and Australian Deal of the Year (NSW Electricity Networks acquisition of Transgrid)
Gilbert + Tobin team advised on the Northern Beaches Hospital PPP which was awarded the Advisory Excellence Award