Gilbert + Tobin’s infrastructure team has a deep understanding of the commercial drivers and risks associated with infrastructure projects and transactions. We advise a wide range of developers, financiers, government and industry bodies on some of Australia’s largest and most difficult infrastructure transactions. We recognise that infrastructure projects need a variety of different legal specialisations. Our approach is an integrated one in which we bring together a team with the necessary skills required to deliver the best results for our client and achieve a successful outcome for the project.
- Health (hospital projects and implementation of associated financing and clinical / construction arrangements).
- Water (treatment and storage solutions for resources infrastructure and social purposes).
- Energy (renewable energy transactions predominately, but also major transactions in the energy industry and gas pipeline transactions).
- Transport (rail projects foremost, but also ports and roads – both motorways and toll roads).
- Social housing (including student accommodation projects).
We have a particular focus on:
- Major infrastructure and project financings – there are few major infrastructure deals in the Australian market that the team does not have a role on.
- Privatisations – our history of major infrastructure privatisations is unrivalled, including roles on the privatisations of TransGrid, AusGrid and Endeavour Energy.
The team embraces innovation. Working for both sponsors and lenders means we understand both sides of the deal and how to negotiate successful, commercial terms for our clients that are also industry best practice, and we have streamlined core project and project finance teams that are supported by nimble sub-teams in the disciplines necessary for infrastructure projects to succeed transactionally (such as tax, property, environmental).
Our experience includes advising:
- Palisade Investment Partners in respect to its successful bid to become commercial partner in the operation and development of the Sunshine Coast Airport and associated debt financing.
- Veolia and Infrastructure Capital Group on the proposal to build, operate and maintain a water treatment plant for Centennial Coal and EnergyAustralia.
- Cooper Energy on the project financing for its A$355 million Sole Gas Project.
- Reliance Rail in relation to the refinancing of Australia’s largest PPP (valued at A$3.6 billion) between the NSW government and Downer EDI, including the rolling stock PPP contract, credit wrapped bonds and bank debt, to deliver the Waratah trains on the Sydney Rail network.
- Trustpower Limited and Tilt Renewables Limited on the A$800 million financing for the recently demerged renewable asset business and their associated individual projects.
- Qube Logistics on its joint A$9.05 billion bid for Asciano, including debt and equity financing and competition law aspects.
- A syndicate of 12 senior financiers regarding senior secured debt funding of the winning consortium bid for the A$10.3 billion privatisation of the TransGrid electricity transmission network, by way of a 99 year lease from the NSW Government.
- The syndicate of financiers in respect of the Hastings consortium’s role as successful bidder for the privatisation (by way of 99 year lease) of Port of Newcastle and the sale and purchase of underlying assets.
- National Australia Bank Limited and Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation as financiers to Fotowatio Renewable Ventures, funding the multimillion-dollar construction of the Clare Solar Farm project.
- Healthscope in relation to all aspects of its successful bid for and ongoing development of the NSW Northern Beaches Hospital PPP.
- Financiers to Pacific Hydro on its A$600 million partial refinance and establishment of a global corporate funding platform in relation to its renewable energy projects in Chile and Australia.
- Alinta Energy on its A$1.22 billion corporate debt financing in connection with the proposed IPO, and its subsequent trade sale. We also advised Alinta Energy on the financing of its acquisition of the Loy Yang B Power Station.
- The successful syndicate of lenders that financed the privatisation of the Sydney Desalination Plant, and subsequent refinancings.
- The bank lenders to the successful bidders, Infratil/Commonwealth Superannuation Corporation Consortium on the ANU Student Accommodation Project, the largest student accommodation transaction of this type to successfully come to market in Australia.
- The bank syndicate (including all four Australian major domestic banks) on all aspects of the financing (and subsequent refinancing) of the privatisation of the Cairns and Mackay Airports in North Queensland.
Awards + Recognition
“I regard them highly: they’re commercial, they provide good advice on matters as to where it’s worth digging in and which things we have other protections for, and they’re also really pleasant to work with.”
M&A Deal of the Year and Australian Deal of the Year (NSW Electricity Networks acquisition of Transgrid)
Gilbert + Tobin team advised on the Northern Beaches Hospital PPP which was awarded the Advisory Excellence Award
Gilbert + Tobin won Property, Infrastructure and Projects Deal of the Year