Chris is a partner in Gilbert +Tobin’s Corporate Advisory team.
Chris specialises in regulated/public M+A transactions – schemes of arrangement, takeovers and other transactions involving ASX-listed entities – and private M+A transactions across a range of sectors and industries. Chris’ practice also includes equity capital markets work (including IPOs, equity capital raisings and share buy-backs), advising on joint ventures and corporate restructurings, and advising ASX-listed and non-ASX-listed entities on a range of corporate matters, including corporate governance, ASX Listing Rule and corporations and securities law compliance, employee incentive plans, and continuous disclosure matters.
Chris’ experience includes advising:
- Genex Power Limited in relation to the approach by Skip Essential Infrastructure Fund and Stonepeak Partners LLC regarding a potential ~$320 million acquisition of Genex in 2022.
- Cardno Limited on its ~$57 million sale of its International Development business to DT Global in 2022;
- Intega Group Limited on its ~$400 million acquisition by Kiwa by way of a scheme of arrangement in 2021;
- Macquarie Infrastructure and Real Assets (“MIRA”) on its $2.6 billion cash and scrip acquisition of ASX-listed Bingo Industries Limited by way of a scheme of arrangement in 2021;
- Infigen Energy (Australia’s largest ASX-listed renewable energy generator at the time) on the unsuccessful hostile takeover bid from UAC and the successful “friendly” takeover bid from Iberdrola SA (which valued Infigen Energy at ~$1.4 billion) in 2020;
- United Malt Group Limited on its $165 million capital raising by way of an institutional placement and share purchase plan in May 2020 to manage market uncertainty caused by the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic;
- GrainCorp Limited on its ~$2 billion demerger of United Malt Group (the world's fourth-largest independent commercial maltster) to GrainCorp’s shareholders by way of a scheme of arrangement and ASX-listing in April 2020;
- GrainCorp Limited on its ~$350 million sale of its Australian bulk liquid terminals business to ANZ Terminals in 2019;
- GrainCorp Limited on its successful defence of the highly geared approach by Long-Term Asset Partners (financed by Goldman Sachs and Westbourne Capital) regarding a potential $3.3 billion control transaction in 2018-2019;
- LifeHealthcare Group Limited on its $211 million acquisition by Pacific Equity Partners by way of a scheme of arrangement in 2018;
- Cover-More Group Limited on its $850 million acquisition by Zurich Insurance Group by way of a scheme of arrangement in 2017;
- Cover-More Group Limited on its $75 million capital raising by way of a rights issue to partially fund its acquisition of Travelex Insurance Services in 2017;
- SAI Global on its $1.1 billion acquisition by Baring Private Equity Asia by way of a scheme of arrangement in 2016; and
- The Australian Grains Champion consortium on its approach to Australia’s largest co-operative, Co-Operative Bulk Handling (CBH), regarding the proposed corporatisation, commercialisation and ASX listing of CBH in 2016.
Our expertise and solutions
for generating cleaner, greener futures
Read our analysis of Australian public mergers & acquisitions in 2022
Demand for sustainable practices is driving change across corporate Australia, find out the latest industry insights and decarbonising opportunities.