The team is made up of highly respected lawyers with skills appropriate to a range of merger, acquisition and capital markets transactions. We achieve commercial results and outcomes through creative solutions, perseverance and best practice.
We provide a range of services to ensure compliance with the requirements of the Corporations Act and good corporate governance practices. Our team has advised senior management and boards on a wide range of complex business and legal issues. Regarded as one of the leading advisers to private equity funds, our commercially savvy team blends traditional corporate law skills with an understanding of the needs of private equity investors.
- Corporate mergers, acquisitions and disposals and related due diligence, tax and structuring issues.
- Joint ventures, including devising ownership, management and operational structures to meet commercial and regulatory requirements.
- Structuring IPOs, placements and rights issues for companies and managed funds.
- Complex private equity structuring and consequent investment and exit transactions, including management and leveraged buy-outs.
- Capital management strategies, including buy-backs and capital reductions.
- Capital markets activities including the structuring of complex capital instruments such as debenture and hybrid offerings and warrants.
- Corporations Act and ASX Listing Rule compliance issues, including continuous disclosure, corporate governance and periodic disclosure obligations and board charter solutions for public and private companies.
- Australian Financial Services Licence applications and compliance for licensees.
- Company secretarial assistance to companies, including the establishment of companies, preparing minutes and resolutions for board and shareholder meetings, and undertaking statutory filings.
Our experience includes advising:
- AB InBev on the $16 billion proposed sale of Carlton & United Breweries to Asahi Group.
DuluxGroupin relation to its $3.8 billion acquisition by Nippon Paint by scheme of arrangement.
- KKR on its $2 billion acquisition of MYOB by scheme of arrangement.
- TPG Capital on its $1 billion (enterprise value) acquisition of pet and vet care company Greencross.
- Jacobs on its $4.6 billion sale of its energy, chemicals and resources group to WorleyParsons.
- BGH Consortium on its $2.1 billion proposal to acquire Navitas by scheme of arrangement.
- Harbour Energy on its $14.4 billion proposal to takeover Santos.
- GrainCorp on the sale of its Australian Bulk Liquid Terminals business to ANZ Terminals for an enterprise value of approximately $350 million.
- Ruralco Holdings on its $469 million acquisition by Nutrien by scheme of arrangement.
- Shanghai Stock Exchange-listed Chengtun Mining Group on its proposed takeover of Nzuri Copper Limited by scheme of arrangement.
- Yancoal Australia on its dual primary listing on the Main Board of the Hong Kong Stock Exchange and associated capital raising (including Australian rights offering and Hong Kong IPO).
- Viva Energy Group on its successful IPO and listing on the ASX - the largest IPO in Australia for four years and the largest non-government IPO in Australian corporate history.
- Goldman Sachs as sole global co-ordinator and UBS, Credit Suisse and Bell Potter as joint lead managers of the $3.87 billion ASX listing of Coronado Global Resources Inc.
- Sonic Healthcare on its $750 million acquisition of Aurora Diagnostics and its $600 million capital raising to part fund that acquisition.
- IOOF on its $975 million acquisition of ANZ’s One Path Pensions and Investments and aligned dealer groups businesses and its associated $539 million accelerated non-renounceable entitlement offer and share purchase plan.
- Xero Limited in respect of its Convertible Note offering to raise $US300 million and associated call option transactions.
Awards + Recognition
Named Law Firm of the Year for Corporate Law.
Named Law Firm of the Year for Corporate Law and for Private Equity Law.
Gilbert + Tobin was awarded M&A Legal Adviser of the Year (Business Services), M&A Legal Adviser of the Year (Consumer) and Private Equity Legal Adviser of the Year.
Named Law Firm of the Year for Mergers and Acquisitions Law.
Ranked Band 1 in each of Corporate/M&A, Equity Capital Markets and Private Equity.
Ranked Tier 1 in each of Corporate/M&A and Equity Capital Markets.
Ranked an 'Outstanding' firm in the Asialaw Profiles 2019. In addition, ranked 'Outstanding' in each of Corporate and M&A, Capital Markets and Private Equity.
Australian Law Firm of the Year (101-500 lawyers).