Getting the Deal Through report provides a comprehensive overview of the listing requirements, regulations and legislative developments affecting IPO markets worldwide.
Ever since its beginnings in the late 1990s, Gilbert + Tobin has been at the forefront of developments with private equity and financial sponsors. We have deep experience dealing with the key issues that drive financial sponsors’ businesses: funds management and fiduciary concerns; a dominant focus on cash and efficient capital structures; financial and operational leverage; close working relationships with portfolio company managers and superior transaction execution. In the structures, advice, diligence and agreements we prepare, we maintain a clear focus on these key commercial issues.
Regarded as one of the leading advisers to private equity funds and other financial buyers and funds managers in Australia, our team has been involved in many of the market-shaping private equity transactions in Australia in the last 10 years.
Our team works seamlessly with regulated M&A experts to help solve complex public to private transactions as well as our banking & finance experts who look at the strategic and financial needs of our clients. We bring disciplined, effective and experienced management to large structured deals, while remaining flexible and open to novel opportunities.
- Providing highly developed governing documents and advising on the establishment of private equity, infrastructure and other funds.
- Advising Limited Partners on investments in Australian funds (and relevant offshore parallel fund vehicles).
- Negotiating and documenting a range of investment transactions and subsequent divestment transactions (LBOs, MBOs, trade sales, mergers or floats). We have particular expertise in follow-on transactions and the legal and commercial issues they raise, including where follow-on investment comes from different funds within the financial sponsor’s franchise.
- Acting for both financial sponsors and lending banks on leveraged acquisitions and leveraged joint ventures.
- Advising the boards of portfolio companies, sponsors and banks on recapitalisations and refinancings of leveraged transactions.
- Advising on the full range of public market transactions including PIPES, P2Ps and joint ventures with publicly listed companies.
- Structuring Management Equity Plans.
- Foreign investment advice and clearances.
- Providing best of breed, market-accepted transaction documentation.
- Undertaking vendor and acquisition legal due diligence with a focus on financial sponsor’s issues including the range of issues of typical concern for acquisition financiers.
- Gilbert + Tobin's Private Equity team is ranked Band 1 by Chambers Asia-Pacific 2017.