Costas is co-head of Gilbert + Tobin’s Corporate Advisory team. He has significant experience in Mergers and Acquisitions, Takeovers, Corporate and Securities Law, Capital markets, Directors Duties and Corporate Governance and the Listing Rules. Costas is widely recognised as one of Australia's leading strategic M&A and securities lawyers, and is known for his in-depth industry knowledge and experience in advising on some of Australia’s most prominent, novel and complex deals.
- Yancoal Australia Independent Board Committee on its $3.2 billion capital raising as well as its $3.36 billion acquisition of Coal & Allied from Rio Tinto, and related Takeovers Panel proceedings.
- Investa Property Group on the purchase of Cromwell's stake in IOF, and the proposed sale of its investment management platform to IOF.
- Iron Mountain on its successful and innovatively designed $3.8 billion scrip acquisition of Recall Holdings by scheme of arrangement, and its associated dual listing on ASX.
- Vocus Communications on its $3 billion merger of equals with M2 Group by way of scheme of arrangement.
- CIMIC on its successful $256 million unsolicited takeover bid for Sedgman Limited, including associated Takeovers Panel proceedings.
- Anchorage Capital on its successful $212 million contested acquisition of Affinity Education Limited by scheme of arrangement, and associated Takeovers Panel proceedings.
- TPG Telecom on its contested $1.57 billion acquisition of iiNet Limited by scheme of arrangement.
- Yancoal Australia Independent Board Committee on its US$2.3 billion pro rata subordinated capital notes offer and balance sheet recapitalisation, and associated Takeovers Panel proceedings.
- Vocus Communications on its novel and Court contested $1.2 billion merger of equals with Amcom Limited, the first Australian merger scheme to succeed in the face of a 20% blocking stake.
- The New South Wales Government on its $5.07 billion privatisation of Port Botany and Port Kembla, and on its $1.75 billion privatisation of the Port of Newcastle.
- Tavistock Group on designing, negotiating and implementing the $300 million recapitalisation of Australian Agricultural Company Ltd (AACo) under which Tavistock acted as sub-underwriter of a 7 for 10 accelerated non-renounceable entitlement offer (ANREO) and sole subscriber of a subordinated convertible notes offer.
- Rio Tinto on its $4 billion takeover bid for Riversdale Mining Limited.
- Alsons Consolidated Resources on its $361 million takeover of Indophil Resources by scheme of arrangement.
- TPG Telecom on its $450 million acquisition of AAPT and Powertel, and subsequent capital raisings.
- Morgan Stanley Real Estate on its $6.6 billion P2P of Investa Property Group by way of trust scheme and an interconditional scheme of arrangement, and on its successful $344 million joint takeover bid (with Tuan Sing) for Grand Hotel Group Limited.
- Costas was named Lawyer of the Year (Sydney), Corporate - Best Lawyers: 2015 and 2016.
- Costas was a finalist in the coveted Lawyers Weekly Dealmaker of the Year, 2016.
- Lawyer of the Year (Sydney), Commercial – Best Lawyers: 2014.
- Costas is listed in Best Lawyers for Mergers & Acquisitions, Equity Capital Markets, Corporate, and Commercial (among others).
- Chambers Global and Chambers Asia Pacific name Costas as a leading individual for Corporate/M&A.
- The Legal 500 lists Costas as a leading individual in Corporate/M&A.
- Chambers Asia Pacific notes that Costas is praised for being "very strategic and tactical" and for providing "some very clever ideas on a very challenging transaction", and that Costas is applauded by clients for his "standout commercial judgement."
- Chambers Global says peers note the strong technical skills of Costas who is a "responsive and skilled M&A practitioner with strong technical skills and excellent commercial judgement", and that Costas has "an amazing legal mind, providing an outstanding mix of technical skill and commercial judgement." They also appreciate that he is "down to earth - his ego doesn't get in the way.”
- The Asia Pacific Legal 500 notes that Costas has "extremely valuable knowledge of regulatory matters" and is a "good negotiator" who is "strong on the tactics of public market M&A", and is "creative, extremely commercial and easy to work with."
- Costas is an adjunct member of the Faculty of Law at the University of Sydney where he lectures on the Takeovers Panel in the Masters of Laws.
BEC (University of Sydney, 1990)
LLB (HONS) (University of Sydney, 1992)
GDIPAPPFIN (Securities Institute, 1995)
+61 2 9263 4059