Darren is the lead partner in Gilbert + Tobin's Charities + Social Sector Group.
Darren specialises in the provision of legal assistance to charities and not-for-profit large and small charities, overseas aid agencies, community
Darren’s expertise in laws specific to charities and not-for-profit
Darren was the recipient of the 2014 Human Rights Commission Law Award in recognition of his long term commitment to assisting not-for-profit and charitable
He also sits on the NSW Attorney Generals Disability Advisory Council and attended meetings at the United Nations in New York, helping in the development of an international convention on the rights of people with disability.
Darren’s experience includes:
- Establishing, structuring and winding up corporate foundations and not-for-profit and charitable - including mergers and conversions.
- Charitable fundraising, community lotteries and gaming, privacy, do not call and spam regulation.
- Tax concession charity (TCC) and deductible gift recipient (DGR) endorsement and other tax benefits, exemptions and rebates both federal and state.
- Giving and receiving gifts and other donations and the running of charitable fundraising activities and events (including from a tax perspective).
- Preparing new constitutions and reviewing and tailoring current constitutions.
- Compliance with the Corporations Act, the Australian Securities and Investment Commission and other state-based laws and regulators and corporate governance (including calling and holding meetings, directors’ duties and voting procedures and protocols).
- Establishing, running and winding up trusts (including stamp duty and drafting and interpreting founding trust documents).
consultancy, secondmentand volunteer agreements.
- Joint venture and consortium agreements, international relationship agreements, supply agreements, funding agreements (including tenders and government grant/funding agreements), web
useterms and conditions, software procurement agreements and publishing and IP licensing agreements.
- Government submissions and other legal policy work including preparing, contributing to and/or reviewing clients’ internal and external publications.
Awards and Recognition
Darren is ranked in Charities Law.
Darren is ranked for Charities.
Darren was a Finalist in the Lawyers Weekly Partner of the Year Awards for Corporate.
Darren was named on the Lawyer Hot List.