Justin is a partner in Gilbert + Tobin’s Corporate Advisory group.
From March 2013 to May 2016 Justin was employed as an Executive Director in the investment banking division of the Macquarie Group in Perth. Prior to joining Macquarie, he was Managing Director of Gresham Advisory Partners and head of Gresham's Perth office, and, before that, a Partner in both the Sydney and Perth offices of another major law firm.
Justin has a total of 25 years' corporate finance experience as a lawyer and investment banker. He has advised on a wide range of M&A, and equity capital markets transactions across a variety of industry sectors including energy & resources, financial services, technology, media & telecommunications, engineering & mining services, food & beverage and real estate.
Justin also advises clients on corporate governance issues including entity formation and structuring, shareholder activism, audit and risk management, directors’ duties and corporate social responsibility.
Justin is currently serving in a non-executive capacity on a number of listed, Government and not-for-profit Boards.
Justin holds a combined Commerce and Law Degree with First Class Honours from the University of Western Australia and a Master of Laws from the University of Cambridge.
Justin's experience includes advising:
- Mineral Resources on its US$1.3 billion sale of a 60% interest in the Wodgina Lithium Project to Albemarle Corporation, its acquisition of a 40% stake in Albemarle’s Kemerton lithium hydroxide plant, and the establishment of the MARBL Lithium Joint Venture
- Northern Star Resources on its successful $243 million takeover bid for Echo Resources
- Mineral Resources on its $215 million acquisition proposal to Atlas Iron and $526 million acquisition proposal to AWE, in each case terminated (with payment of break fees) following over-bids
- Contemporary Amperex Technologies on its $55 million cornerstone investment in Pilbara Minerals
- Heytesbury on its US$22m vessel acquisition from Wellard in September 2019
- Sandfire Resources on its $167 million acquisition of MOD Resources by way of scheme of arrangement
- Gold Fields in relation to its off-market acquisition of a stake in its ASX-listed joint venture partner Gold Road, and the sale of the stake for $126.3 million
- Panoramic Resources on its $22.5 million rights issue and associated debt refinancing in March 2019
- Israeli digital weighing technology company Shekel Brainweigh on its initial public offering and listing on ASX, valuing the company at $48.6 million
- Great Panther Mining on its $144 million acquisition of Beadell Resources by way of scheme of arrangement
- Altona Mining Limited on its $93 million acquisition by Copper Mountain Mining Corporation by way of scheme of arrangement
- Indonesian investment group PT Jayatama Tekno Sejahtera and associates on their $15 million cornerstone investment into ASX-listed Gulf Manganese
- Heytesbury on its acquisition of a cornerstone stake in livestock exporter Wellard as part of a $52 million recapitalisation proposal
- Wolfstrike Rentals Group on its $23 million acquisition, by means of reverse takeover, of New Zealand based SME lender FE Investments Limited
Awards and Recognition
Justin was awarded 'Lawyer of the Year (Perth)' for Equity Capital Markets Law.
Justin was listed as Best Lawyer in the areas of Corporate Law, Equity Capital Markets Law and Mergers & Acquisitions.
Justin was awarded 'Lawyer of the Year (Perth)' for Corporate Law.