Justin is a partner in Gilbert + Tobin’s Corporate Advisory group.
From March 2013 to May 2016 Justin was employed as an Executive Director in the investment banking division of the Macquarie Group in Perth. Prior to joining Macquarie, he was Managing Director of Gresham Advisory Partners and head of Gresham's Perth office, and, before that, a Partner in both the Sydney and Perth offices of another major law firm.
Justin has a total of 25 years' corporate finance experience as a lawyer and investment banker. He has advised on a wide range of M&A, and equity capital markets transactions across a variety of industry sectors including energy & resources, financial services, technology, media & telecommunications, engineering & mining services, food & beverage and real estate.
Justin also advises clients on corporate governance issues including entity formation and structuring, shareholder activism, audit and risk management, directors’ duties and corporate social responsibility.
Justin is currently serving in a non-executive capacity on a number of listed, Government and not-for-profit Boards.
Justin holds a combined Commerce and Law Degree with First Class Honours from the University of Western Australia and a Master of Laws from the University of Cambridge.
Justin's experience includes advising:
- Oz Minerals on its $76 million acquisition of Cassini Resources by scheme of arrangement and the separate and interconditional demerger of Caspin Resources
- Contemporary Amperex Technologies (CATL), China’s largest automotive battery maker, on its $55m equity investment in ASX-listed lithium miner Pilbara Minerals Limited
- Northern Star Resources the global-scale Australian gold producer with Tier-1 world-class projects on its $243 million takeover offer for ASX listed Echo Resources and its Yandal Gold Project
- Mineral Resources Limited on its US$1.3b sale 60% interest in the Wodgina lithium project to Albemarle Corporation
- Sandfire Resources on its $167 million acquisition of ASX and LSE listed MOD Resources to establish a presence for Sandfire in the prospective Kalahari Copper belt in Botswana
- Kingfisher Capital Investments on its response to Hancock Prospecting’s $900 million takeover offer for public unlisted Riversdale Resources Limited and its Grassy Mountain metallurgical coal project in Alberta, Canada
- Great Panther Mining Limited on its $144 million acquisition of Beadell Resources by way of a scheme of arrangement
- Wesfarmers Limited on the sale of its 13.2% stake in Quadrant Energy for US$170 million
- Mineral Resources on its $312m offer for Atlas Iron Limited
- Mineral Resources Limited on its $523m offer for AWE Limited
- Altona Mining Limited on its $93m acquisition by Copper Mountain Mining Corporation by way of scheme of arrangement
- Israeli technology company Sehekel brainweigh Ltd on its $35m IPO and listing on ASX
- Indonesian investment group PT Jayatama Tekno Sejahtera and associates on their $15m investment into ASX-listed Gulf Manganese
- Heytesbury Pty Ltd on its acquisition of a stake in, and $52m recapitalisation of, ASX-listed livestock exporter Wellard
- Wolfstrike Rentals Group on its $23m acquisition, by means of reverse takeover, of New Zealand based SME lender FE Investments Limited
Awards and Recognition
Justin was awarded 'Lawyer of the Year (Perth)' for Mergers and Acquisitions Law.
Justin was awarded 'Lawyer of the Year (Perth)' for Equity Capital Markets Law.
Justin was listed as Best Lawyer in the areas of Corporate Law, Equity Capital Markets Law and Mergers & Acquisitions.
Justin has been listed as a Preeminent Lawyer.
Justin was awarded 'Lawyer of the Year (Perth)' for Corporate Law.