He is an expert and market-leading practitioner in fintech and financial services regulation. Peter advises across a range of areas, including digital platforms and markets, decentralised finance, digital currency exchanges, digital wallets, cryptocurrencies, stored value and payments, DAO governance and capital formation, digital assets, funds and custody.
He also advises domestic and off-shore corporates, financial institutions, payment service providers, funds, managers and other market participants in relation to establishing, structuring and operating regulated businesses in Australia.
Peter's experience includes advising:
Fintech, digital assets + payments
- Centre Consortium LLC, Coinbase Global Inc, Visa, Tyro, Velo, Celsius Network Limited, SwyftX, WLTH, Bakkt Holdings, LLC and WooliesX.
- Synthetix on the establishment of a blockchain-based trading platform that enabling users to acquire synthetic exposure to real world and digital assets.
- Holon Global, Coinbase and Galaxy Digital in relation to digital asset funds.
- Woolworths Group, Freelancer, Ubisoft and Canvas in relation to marketplace platforms (including NFTs).
- Geora, Telegram, Firmus Grid, Blockchain Music, Flex Apps, GlobalBlock, Blockchain Access UK and Loda Finance in relation to digital asset strategies.
- PayPal, Tesla, Prosegur, Employment Hero, Etsy, Intuit, MYOB, BPAY (including in relation to NPP and Osko), Tencent, Afterpay, Blueshyft, Daimler, Moneytech, Synthetix, Westpac, CBA, and Relaypay in relation to payment platforms and solutions.
- CBA in relation to the BEEM payments app and Westpac in relation to Assembly.
- The establishment of the BRICKX and Bricklet fractionalised real property platforms.
- Cashrewards in relation to its rewards program.
- Money Place Limited in relation to the establishment of its marketplace lending platform.
- Xinja in relation to its establishment of one of the first neo-banks to operate in Australia.
- Sponsorship of the Antler programme and advising numerous programme participants.
Markets + platforms
- Ebang International Holdings Inc, Caleb & Brown and Star Beta in relation to digital currency exchange and brokerage platforms.
- IOOF in relation to the HUB24 platform arrangements.
- Jefferies Group in connection with the establishment of its Australian equities business and expansion of its investment banking business (Jefferies Australia). This included admission as a trading participant of both ASX and Chi-X.
- Graincorp in relation to the Cropconnect marketplace.
- On Market Bookbuilds in relation to the SPP Harvester strategy.
- Tokenized on the establishment of a platform for issuing, managing and trading security and utility tokens on the Bitcoin SV network.
- Velocity Frequent Flyer in connection with its Virgin Frequent Flyer program.
- Advising numerous clients in relation to AML/CTF Act compliance and engagement with AUSTRAC. Clients participate in the digital marketplace, digital payments, financial services, consumer lending, funds management, remittance and gambling sectors.
- Westpac, CBA, NAB, EFTPOS, BPAY, Telstra and Macquarie.
- Offshore asset managers, including Blackstone, Park Hill, Oaktree, Crédit Agricole CIB, Apollo, Carlyle and T Ventures.
- Advising IOOF, Jarden, Jefferies, Crescent Capital Partners, HRL Morrison & Co, Southern Cross Partners, Blackbird Ventures, Greenstone, OneVentures, SquarePeg, AirTree Ventures, StartMate, Lazard, 5V Capital, Credit Suisse, Goldman Sachs, Deutsche Bank AG and , Pepper, SAI Global, Pioneer Credit and Insolve Capital.
Awards and Recognition
Peter is ranked Band 1 for Fintech.
Peter is ranked for Financial Services Regulation.
Peter is recognised in the area of Funds Management.
Peter is recognised as a Leading Individual for Fintech and Financial Services Regulatory.
The Digital Hub brings together the key issues you need to think about in your business as well as providing practical toolkits and regular updates on the latest digital developments.
Our expertise and solutions
for generating cleaner, greener futures
Read our Highlights And Hot Takes from the Privacy Act Review Report.
Read our analysis of Australian public mergers & acquisitions in 2022
Demand for sustainable practices is driving change across corporate Australia, find out the latest industry insights and decarbonising opportunities.