He is an expert and market-leading practitioner in fintech, financial services regulation and funds management. Peter advises domestic and off-shore corporates, financial institutions, funds, managers and other market participants in relation to establishing, structuring and operating financial services sector businesses in Australia.
He also advises across a range of issues relevant to the fintech and digital sectors, including platform structuring and establishment, payment solutions, blockchain solutions and global crypto-asset strategies.
Peter has qualifications in law (honours) and commerce from The University of Newcastle.
Fintech + digital assets
- Coinbase, Celsius Network Limited and Bakkt Holdings, LLC.
- Synthetix on the establishment of a blockchain-based trading platform that enabling users to acquire synthetic exposure to real world and digital assets.
- Woolworths Group, Freelancer and Ubisoft in relation to marketplace platforms.
- Cashrewards in relation to its rewards program.
- Geora in relation to the structuring and establishment of a decentralised managed investment scheme to raise funding for the development and operation of the Geora protocol.
- PayPal, Intuit, MYOB, BPAY (including in relation to NPP and Osko), Tencent, Afterpay, Blueshyft, Daimler, Relaypay, epay Worldwide, Rev Australia, Moneytech, Synthetix, Westpac, CBA, Relaypay and Paid by Coins in relation to payment platforms and solutions.
- CBA in relation to the BEEM payments app.
- The establishment of the BRICKX and Bricklet fractionalised real property platforms.
- Money Place Limited in relation to the establishment of its marketplace lending platform.
- Xinja in relation to its establishment of one of the first neo-banks to operate in Australia.
- Jefferies Group on financial services related regulatory and commercial matters connected with the establishment of its Australian equities business and expansion of its investment banking business (Jefferies Australia). This included admission as a trading participant of both ASX and Chi-X.
- Graincorp in relation to the Cropconnect marketplace.
- On Market in relation to the SPP Harvester strategy.
- Tokenized on the establishment of a platform for issuing, managing and trading security and utility tokens on the Bitcoin SV network.
- Velocity Frequent Flyer in connection with its Virgin Frequent Flyer program.
Anti-money laundering and counter-terrorism financing advisory experience
- Advising numerous Australian clients on compliance with the AML/CTF Act and engagement with AUSTRAC. Clients participate in the digital payments, financial services, consumer lending, funds management, remittance and gambling sectors.
- Advising an Australian gambling business on its obligations under the AML/CTF Act in connection with a current transaction.
- Advising Australian incumbent and disruptive digital payment solution providers in relation to compliance with the AML/CTF Act and engagement with AUSTRAC.
- Advising corporates and financial services providers such as Blackstone, Westpac, BOQ, and QIC on all aspects of compliance with the AML/CTF Act including enrolment, preparation of a compliant AML/CTF program, reporting (including annual compliance reports and suspicious matter reports) and responding to AUSTRAC enquiries.
- Advising on regulatory aspects of transactions, including KKR in connection with its proposed acquisition of MYOB, Quadrant and Champ in connection with their proposed acquisitions of various Australian assets, PEP in connection with its proposed acquisition of The Trust Company, TPG in connection with its consortium bid for the GE Australia consumer business, proposed acquisitions of StatePlus Super by PEP and Carlyle, and IOOF in connection with its acquisition of part of the ANZ Wealth business.
- Viva Energy in relation to the establishment of the Viva Energy REIT, Crescent Capital Partners’ in relation to its fifth fund and Global Credit Investments in relation to its first wholesale fund.
- Oaktree in relation to its investment in Blue Sky.
- PayPal in relation to its proposed acquisition of HyperWallet.
- State Super in relation to compliance with regulatory obligations (including the Superannuation Industry (Supervision) Act 1993 (Cth)) in connection with co-investments in renewables funds.
- Blackstone in relation to the Australian regulatory aspects of its acquisition of the Thomson Reuters Financial and Risk business (including TradeWeb) and in relation to the trust scheme and company scheme of arrangement for the acquisition of Valad Property Group.
- IPOs of MoneyMe, Greenstone, Covermore, Pioneer Credit and iSelect.
- ClearView in relation to the proposed sale of ClearView Wealth.
- Advising Westpac, CBA, NAB, EFTPOS, BPAY, Telstra and Macquarie.
- Advising offshore asset managers, including Blackstone, Park Hill, Oaktree, Crédit Agricole CIB, Apollo, Carlyle and T Ventures.
- Advising Jefferies, Crescent Capital Partners, HRL Morrison & Co, Southern Cross Partners, Blackbird Ventures, Greenstone, OneVentures, SquarePeg, AirTree Ventures, StartMate, Lazard, 5V Capital, Credit Suisse, Goldman Sachs, Deutsche Bank AG, Pepper, SAI Global, Pioneer Credit and Insolve Capital.
Awards and Recognition
Peter is recognised in the area of Funds Management.
Peter is ranked Band 1 for Fintech.
Peter is ranked for Financial Services Regulation.