The Australian Competition Tribunal has yesterday released its determination outlining the reasons for its authorisation of Tabcorp Holdings Limited’s proposal to acquire Tatts Group Limited
Mergers and Acquisitions
Our Mergers and Acquisitions team works on many of Australia’s largest, most complex and most closely watched M&A deals, holding its own amongst our firm’s global competitors. We work seamlessly with our specialists across the areas of intellectual property, competition, regulation and corporate finance to facilitate deals. Our clients are loyal to us because we work with them as part of their team, rather than as a service provider.
Australia’s mergers and acquisitions environment is subject to rapid change and significant market scrutiny by regulators and increasingly sophisticated investors. Businesses need outstanding legal and strategic advice from early on if they are to achieve their commercial objectives. We have proven experience in working effectively with key corporate regulators including the Australian Securities and Investments Commission, the Australian Securities Exchange and the Takeovers panel. Our innovative team is highly regarded for its competition and regulatory experience.
As our client, you’ll have the opportunity to meet every member of the team working on your deal. Our lawyers will work closely with you and your financial and other advisors to understand your needs so that we can manage the risks throughout the deal process and ensure the best commercial outcomes are achieved within the right timeframe.
- Executing and defending takeover bids, with substantial experience in proceedings before the Takeovers Panel.
- Implementing agreed mergers by scheme of arrangement.
- Complex share or asset acquisitions and divestitures, including cross-border transactions.
- Complex private equity structuring, including management and leveraged buy-outs.
- Obtaining FIRB approvals and ASX and ASIC waivers relevant to mergers or acquisitions.
- Advising investors, such as hedge funds, on takeover developments and strategies.
Our experience includes advising:
- Qube Consortium on the $9 billion acquisition of Asciano (the largest public M&A deal in Australia in 2016).
- Spotless on the defence of the unsolicited $1.2 billion takeover bid by Downer EDI.
- KordaMentha (as administrators of Arrium) on the dualtrack IPO and trade sale process of Moly-Cop which resulted in the sale of Moly-Cop to American Industrial Partners for an enterprise value of US$1.23 billion.
- SAI Global on its $1.01 billion acquisition by Casmar (Australia) Pty Ltd (a wholly owned subsidiary of the Baring Private Equity Asia Fund IV) by scheme of arrangement.
- Anheuser-Busch In-Bev on the Australian aspects of its US$107 billion acquisition of SAB Miller, the largest takeover in the world in 2016.
- Cover-More on its $741 million acquisition by Zurich Insurance Group by scheme of arrangement.
- China Oceanwide on its US$2.7 billion acquisition of Genworth Financial Inc.
- Yancoal Australia’s Independent Board Committee on the company’s US$2.45 billion acquisition of Coal & Allied Industries from Rio Tinto.
- Woolworths Holdings (South Africa) on its $2.15 billion acquisition of David Jones by scheme of arrangement and acquisition by takeover of minorities in Country Road.
- The NSW Government on the $2.6 billion privitisation of the State’s land titling registry.
- Gilbert + Tobin's Mergers & Acquisitions Team won Australian Deal of the Year, M&A Deal of the Year and International Deal of the Year at the 2017 Australasian Law Awards.
- For the first half of 2017 we ranked second for value of announced deals in Australia/New Zealand (Thomson/Reuters). We took out third place for announced M&A deals by count and volume (Bloomberg).
- Gilbert + Tobin's Mergers & Acquisitions Team is ranked Band 1 by Legal 500 2017.
- Gilbert + Tobin's Mergers & Acquisitons Team is ranked Band 1 by Chambers Asia-Pacific 2017.