Mergers + Acquisitions
Australia’s M&A environment is subject to rapid change and significant market scrutiny by regulators and increasingly sophisticated investors. Businesses need outstanding legal and strategic advice from the outset if they are to achieve their commercial objectives. We have proven experience in working effectively with key corporate regulators including the Australian Securities and Investments Commission, the Australian Securities Exchange and the Takeovers panel. Our innovative team is highly regarded for its competition and regulatory experience.
We are regularly retained to assist boards of public and private companies to navigate challenging issues that arise in complex and contested M&A transactions. We have extensive experience advising on cross border M&A and foreign investment into Australia. We also act for domestic and foreign clients on their bids for, and equity participation in, major infrastructure projects.
As our client, you will have the opportunity to meet every member of the team working on your deal. We work with you as part of your team, and with your financial and other advisors. We can then fully understand your needs to manage the risks throughout the deal process and ensure the best commercial outcomes are achieved within the right timeframe.
- Executing and defending takeover bids, with substantial experience in proceedings before the Takeovers Panel.
- Implementing agreed mergers by scheme of arrangement.
- Complex share or asset acquisitions and divestitures, including cross-border transactions.
- Complex private equity structuring, including management and leveraged buy-outs.
- Obtaining FIRB approvals and ASX and ASIC waivers relevant to mergers or acquisitions.
- Advising investors, such as hedge funds, on takeover developments and strategies.
Our experience includes advising:
- AB InBev on the $16 billion proposed sale of Carlton & United Breweries to Asahi Group.
- DuluxGroup in relation to its $3.8 billion acquisition by Nippon Paint by scheme of arrangement.
- KKR on its $2 billion acquisition of MYOB by scheme of arrangement.
- Jacobs on the $4.6 billion sale of its energy, chemicals and resources group to WorleyParsons.
- TPG Capital on its $1 billion (enterprise value) acquisition of pet and vet care company Greencross.
- BGH Consortium on its $2.1 billion proposal to acquire Navitas by scheme of arrangement.
- Harbour Energy on its $14.4 billion proposal to takeover Santos.
- GrainCorp on the sale of its Australian Bulk Liquid Terminals business to ANZ Terminals for an enterprise value of approximately $350 million.
- Pacific Equity Partners on the $964 million sale of Allied Pinnacle to Nisshin Seifun Group, Inc.
- Ruralco Holdings on its proposed $464 million acquisition by Nutrien by scheme of arrangement.
- Shanghai Stock Exchange-listed Chengtun Mining Group on its proposed takeover of Nzuri Copper Limited by scheme of arrangement.
- CHAMP Private Equity on its $1 billion sale of Accolade Wines to Carlyle.
- IOOF on its $975 million acquisition of ANZ’s One Path Pensions and Investments and aligned dealer groups businesses and its associated $539 million accelerated non-renounceable entitlement offer and share purchase plan.
- Pemba Capital Partners on its $701 million exit from Device Technologies Australia, one of Australia’s largest private medical device manufacturers and distributors.
- Investa Commercial Property Fund on the $3.35 billion battle for the ASX listed Investa Office Fund between Oxford Properties & Blackstone.
- The State of NSW in the $1.6 billion sale of Property Exchange Australia to a consortium comprised of Link, CBA and Morgan Stanley.
Awards + Recognition
Named Law Firm of the Year for Corporate Law.
Named Law Firm of the Year for Corporate Law and for Private Equity Law.
Gilbert + Tobin was awarded M&A Legal Adviser of the Year (Business Services) and M&A Legal Adviser of the Year (Consumer).
Named Law Firm of the Year for M&A Law.
Ranked Band 1 in Corporate/M&A.
Ranked Tier 1 in Corporate/M&A.
Ranked Tier 1 in M&A.
Ranked an ‘Outstanding’ firm in the Asialaw Profiles 2019. Also ranked ‘Outstanding’ in M&A, Capital Markets and Private Equity.
Advised on Australian Deal of the Year, M&A Deal of the Year, Equity Markets Deal of the Year and International Deal of the Year at the Australasian Law Awards.