Ben is a partner in Gilbert + Tobin's Corporate Advisory group.
Ben specialises in mergers and acquisitions and corporate transactions in the energy and resources, infrastructure and agribusiness sectors. His practice covers private/negotiated sales and disposals, cross-border M&A, joint ventures, initial public offerings, equity raisings, listed company takeovers and corporate governance matters. Ben also advises start-ups on corporate governance and fundraising matters.
Key transactions Ben has advised on include:
- Various foreign private equity funds acquiring Australian agribusinesses.
- Aquis’ proposed $275 million acquisitions of Reef Casino Trust (and associated entities) and Canberra Casino.
- Bidder on the sale of the Clem7 toll road in Brisbane.
- iSelect’s initial public offer.
- Bidder for Joe White Maltings, Australia’s largest malt producer.
- Indian Pacific Resources’ equity raising.
- Industry Funds Management’s co-investor arrangements for the $5.07 billion acquisition of the long term leases of Port Botany and Port Kembla.
- CGNPC-URC, China Africa Development Fund and Taurus Minerals c.£632m cash offer for Kalahari Minerals plc and associated $2.2 billion potential follow-on offer for Extract Resources.
- Xstrata’s $514 million cash offer for Sphere Minerals.
- Tata Steel on Rio Tinto’s $3.9 billion cash offer for Riversdale Mining.
- Babcock & Brown Infrastructure on its $1.5 billion recapitalisation and sale of a 49.9% interest in the Dalrymple Bay Coal Terminal to Brookfield Asset Management for $295 million.
- Newcrest Mining on its US$535 million investment in Harmony Gold Mining’s PNG assets and formation of a joint venture with Harmony Gold Mining.
- Centennial Coal on the sale of the Anvil Hill coal mine project and an 86% interest in the Tahmoor coal mine to Xstrata for $1.1 billion.
- Orica on the purchase of the Minova mining services group for $850 million.
- Orica on the sale of Qenos to China National Chemical Corp.
- Orica on the acquisition of Dyno Nobel in a consortium with Macquarie Bank for $1.7 billion.
Ben has also practised in London with a preeminent global law firm and worked as an investment banker for leading global investment banks.
Ben has bachelor degrees in Law (Honours) and Commerce (Honours) from the University of Melbourne and is admitted to practice in Victoria and England and Wales.
+61 3 8656 3381