Mark has over 25 years’ experience as a Partner in leading professional accounting and legal firms, including Gilbert + Tobin.
Mark was the leader of the National Mergers and Acquisitions Tax Practice at Deloitte (2007-2017). During that period, Mark focussed on domestic and cross border M&A for both strategic and financial buyers. Mark has for many years been actively involved in all forms of M&A transactions, including private equity-based deals, public markets transactions, IPOs and the development and use of various funding structures.
Mark was a member of the Board of Tax Advisory Panel and was frequently requested by the ATO and Treasury to assist in the development of tax policy and of new areas of the tax law. Specifically, he has been involved in the development of the demerger tax relief; consultation on the tax consolidation regime and was a participant in the Henry Tax Review and Tax Forum consultation process.
He has been a regular presenter at public tax forums including the Tax Institute and the Institute of Chartered Accountants, and won awards for assisting the Australian Venture Capital Association in the development of the Venture Capital Limited Partnership structure.
- Woolworths on their bid for Coles businesses as part of the Coles sale process.
- Woolworths on the acquisition and demerger of the NZ Foodland business.
- Publishing and Broadcasting Limited on the separation and effective sale of 50 per cent of PBL’s media assets to CVC Private Equity.
- KKR on the sale of its 50% interest in Seven Media Group.
- Newmont in its large Part IVA dispute with the ATO.
- KKR in relation to a dispute with the ATO and a subsequent investigation by the ATO stemming from a FIRB application.
G+T examines 2021’s public M+A transactions valued over $50 million involving ASX-listed companies. The Review provides our perspective on the trends for Australian M+A in 2021 and what that might mean for you in 2022.