Mark has over 25 years’ experience as a Partner in leading professional accounting and legal firms, including Gilbert + Tobin.
Mark was the leader of the National Mergers and Acquisitions Tax Practice at Deloitte (2007-2017). During that period, Mark focussed on domestic and cross border M&A for both strategic and financial buyers. Mark has for many years been actively involved in all forms of M&A transactions, including private equity-based deals, public markets transactions, IPOs and the development and use of various funding structures.
Mark was a member of the Board of Tax Advisory Panel and was frequently requested by the ATO and Treasury to assist in the development of tax policy and of new areas of the tax law. Specifically, he has been involved in the development of the demerger tax relief; consultation on the tax consolidation regime and was a participant in the Henry Tax Review and Tax Forum consultation process.
He has been a regular presenter at public tax forums including the Tax Institute and the Institute of Chartered Accountants, and won awards for assisting the Australian Venture Capital Association in the development of the Venture Capital Limited Partnership structure.
Mark's experience includes advising:
- Crescent Capital Partners on the acquisition and capital structure of a transaction re new investors acquiring NDC from Fund IV
- We provided an exceptions-based top up tax due diligence report in connection with the proposed acquisition by Adamantem of GenesisCare.
- Advised the current shareholders of Key Media received an offer to acquire a 60% interest from a US private equity fund, Housatonic Partners.
- Morpehus Advisors LLC on a structuring advice for a fund establishment in Australia.
- Mercury Capital on vendor assist services in relation to the proposed sale of Mercury Capital's interest in Fiftyfive5.
- Crescent Capital on Fund structuring and tax review of Crescent Fund VII.
- Crescent Group on tax structuring advice in relation to the acquisition of Steel Mains Holdings Pty Ltd from Crescent Capital Partners Fund IV by new and continuing investors.
- Vast Solar on its merger with a special purpose acquisition company (SPAC) backed by Nabors Industries in a deal which will take the Australian company public in New York at a valuation of up to USD$586 million.
- Woolworths on their bid for Coles businesses as part of the Coles sale process.
- Woolworths on the acquisition and demerger of the NZ Foodland business.
- Goldman Sachs JBWere Private Equity and Quadrant on the acquisition of the Kathmandu Group and subsequent IPO.
- Publishing and Broadcasting Limited on the separation and effective sale of 50 per cent of PBL’s media assets to CVC Private Equity.
- Peabody Energy on the acquisition and disposal of its various coal assets.
- KKR on the sale of its 50% interest in Seven Media Group.
- KKR on the acquisition and sale of Genesiscare.
- Hellman and Friedman on the potential acquisition of a large, listed gaming company.
- Crescent Capital Partners on its acquisition, sale and IPO of numerous portfolio companies.
- Crescent Capital on its $315 million initial public offering of Australian Clinical Laboratories including pre-acquisition recapitalisation and structuring.
- Mercury Capital on the acquisition of an interest in Skyline Landscape Services Pty Ltd including tax due diligence and tax structuring advice.
- Tax due diligence advice for Mercury Capital’s acquisition of a 50% interest in Green Options Pty Ltd (GO).
- Providing taxation advice on the establishment of a global debt fund to be listed on the ASX involving consideration of complex controlled foreign company and double tax treaty issues and the interplay with US tax considerations.
Our expertise and solutions
for generating cleaner, greener futures
Read our analysis of Australian public mergers & acquisitions in 2022
Demand for sustainable practices is driving change across corporate Australia, find out the latest industry insights and decarbonising opportunities.