Matt is a partner in the Disputes + Investigations practice.
Matt specialises in complex, commercially significant disputes, litigation and regulatory enforcement actions. He has extensive experience advising and acting for clients in a wide range of large scale, high-profile proceedings, including class actions, and critical and sensitive regulatory matters.
Matt works across many sectors, including heavily regulated industries such as energy and resources, financial services, digital and technology and manufacturing.
Matt is also a qualified project manager accredited by the Australian Institute of Project Managers (Level CPPP).
Matt's experience includes:
- As lead partner, securing the largest damages award in Australian history on behalf of consumers who acquired approximately 264,000 defective Toyota Hilux, Prado and Fortuner diesel vehicles in Williams v Toyota Motor Corporation Australia Limited  FCA 344.
- As lead partner, acting for EG Group, a leading global independent fuel and convenience retailer, in significant Supreme and Federal Court proceedings against Ampol, one of Australia’s largest fuel suppliers, relating to the terms of Ampol’s exclusive supply of fuel to EG in Australia (proceedings which settled pre-trial).
- Acting for JP Morgan in relation to the ACCC's criminal cartel prosecution against ANZ, Citi Group and Deutsche Bank and various individuals in relation to a $2.5 billion capital raising by ANZ in August 2015.
- Acting for Google Inc in defending proceedings brought by the ACCC which culminated in a successful appeal to the High Court of Australia. These internationally significant proceedings related to the appearance of sponsored links which appear on Google’s search result pages and the responsibility of search engines for the content of these third party advertisements.
- Acting for BlueScope Limited in relation to proceedings commenced by the ACCC alleging attempts to induce cartel conduct in contravention of the Competition and Consumer Act.
- Acting for companies and an individual within the Palram group in proceedings commenced by the ACCC alleging cartel conduct and other contraventions of the Competition and Consumer Act.
- Conducting a significant confidential investigation on behalf of a leading Australian technology company.
- Advising a major Australian financial services company in respect of a confidential criminal investigation.
- Advising an Australian media company in a confidential ICC arbitration.
- Advising a major Australian manufacturing business in relation to several significant commercial disputes, including resolving a complex, multi-million dollar dispute with one of its major customers.
- Acting for Westpac Banking Corporation in the Financial Services Royal Commission.
- Advising Australian companies in relation to their applications to AUSTRAC for exemptions from the AML/CTF Act.
- Defending a company in the RiverCity group in the Hopkins class action concerning a prospectus issued in relation to Brisbane’s Clem 7 Tunnel, as well as acting for the RiverCity companies in securing a $280 million settlement in related proceedings against AECOM Australia in the Federal Court of Australia.
- Acting for the BrisConnections companies in their $2.2 billion claim against Arup in the Federal Court of Australia regarding the Airport Link toll road in Brisbane.These proceedings were settled on confidential terms during trial.
Awards and Recognition
Matt is recommended for his skills in Dispute Resolution: Litigation
Clients note "Matt Mackenzie is very easy to deal with."
Matt is recognised for his Regulatory Practice
For more information on the Toyota Class Action, please click below or call 1800 324 984.