Matt is a partner in the Disputes + Investigations practice.
Matt advises clients in relation to complex, commercially significant disputes, litigation and regulatory enforcement actions. He has been extensively involved in a wide range of large scale, high-profile proceedings, including class actions, and critical and sensitive regulatory matters.
Matt is also a qualified project manager accredited by the Australian Institute of Project Managers (Level CPPP).
Matt's experience includes:
- Acting for JP Morgan in relation to the ACCC's landmark criminal cartel prosecution against ANZ, Citi Group and Deutsche Bank and various individuals in relation to a $2.5 billion capital raising by ANZ in August 2015.
- Advising Westpac in relation to two class actions commenced in respect of the bank’s disclosure of matters connected with alleged breaches of anti-money laundering and counter terrorism financing laws.
- Acting for a class in connection with a major product liability class action commenced against Toyota Motor Corporation.
- Advising BlueScope Limited in relation to proceedings commenced by the ACCC alleging attempts to induce cartel conduct.
- Advising a leading Australian technology company in respect of a significant confidential investigation.
- Advising an Australian media company in a confidential ICC arbitration.
- Advising companies and an individual within the Palram group in proceedings commenced by the ACCC alleging cartel conduct and other contraventions of the Competition and Consumer Act.
- Acting for a major Australian financial services company in respect of an ongoing confidential criminal investigation.
- Acting for a major Australian industrial business in relation to several significant commercial disputes, including resolving a complex, multi-million dollar dispute with one of its major customers
- Advising Westpac Banking Corporation on its response to the Royal Commission into Misconduct in the Banking, Superannuation and Financial Services Industry.
- Advising an Australian company in relation to a potential engagement with AUSTRAC in respect of the AML/CTF Act.
- Defending a company in the RiverCity group in the Hopkins class action concerning a prospectus issued in relation to Brisbane’s Clem 7 Tunnel, as well as acting for the RiverCity companies in securing a $280 million settlement - the largest settlement of a misleading or deceptive conduct claim in Australian corporate history - in related proceedings against AECOM Australia in the Federal Court of Australia.
- Acting for the BrisConnections companies in their $2.2 billion claim against Arup in the Federal Court of Australia regarding the Airport Link toll road in Brisbane. These proceedings were settled on confidential terms during trial.
- Advising Google Inc in defending proceedings brought by the ACCC which culminated in a successful appeal to the High Court of Australia. These internationally significant proceedings related to the appearance of sponsored links which appear on Google’s search result pages and the responsibility of search engines for the content of these third party advertisements.