Tim is the head of the firm’s Technology + Digital (T+D) group, and sits on the Board of Gilbert + Tobin. Tim focuses on technology, media, telecommunications, broadcasting, payment systems and digital (e.g. data) transactions, as well as associated regulatory areas such as consumer law and privacy. Tim also often works on complex and bespoke commercial arrangements generally. Tim also advises on a number of related regulatory areas, such as those relating to consumer law, and privacy and data.
- A range of clients on their outsourcing arrangements generally, including two of Australia’s big-four banks, a large Australian superannuation fund, Perpetual, The Travel Corporation and Carnival.
- IOOF on its $975m acquisition of ANZ’s wealth management business, including in relation to the 20 year strategic alliance agreement between IOOF and ANZ.
- The NSW Government on the $2.6b privatisation of the State’s land titling registry.
- BPAY in relation to Osko, the first overlay service to be provided on Australia’s New Payments Platform. This included developing the associated scheme rules. Tim has also separately acted for eftpos and AusPayNet.
- The ABC for many years in relation to the broadcaster’s national transmission services agreements with Broadcast Australia.
- Sydney Water and (separately) NSW Police in the outsourcing of all of their telecommunications services.
- The NSW Government in its procurement and ongoing contract management for the Opal public transport ticketing system.
- The NSW Government on the replacement of the Government radio network and (separately) NSW Ambulance on a range of radio and data communication systems.
- CBA, Westpac, ANZ and NAB in the negotiation by these big-four banks with PEXA for participation in the national e‑conveyancing scheme.
- A big-four Australian bank and Credit Union Australia on the procurement of new core banking systems.
Tim’s privacy and data experience includes:
- assisting organisations to assess and comply with their privacy obligations, particularly businesses in highly regulated industries such as financial services or healthcare, or businesses undertaking new and innovative marketing activities. Tim’s experience includes advising on federal, state and health-records legislation;
- advising on privacy-related issues in a transactional context. Such transactions include cloud computing and other offshoring arrangements, data sharing and analytics arrangements, M&A, insolvencies and complex transactions generally; and
- advising on privacy failures and data breach issues, including on reporting obligations to, and investigations conducted by, privacy regulators.
Tim is ranked as a leading technology lawyer in the 2018 editions of prominent legal directories, Chambers Asia Pacific and Legal 500. Tim has also been recognised by Best Lawyers 2018 in four categories (Information Technology Law, Outsourcing Law, Privacy and Data Security and Telecommunications Law). Chambers describe Tim as having “extreme attention to detail and technology knowledge, and a fantastic manner when it comes to negotiation and presentation. He is completely thorough, and very engaging”.
+61 2 9263 4273