Tim is a partner and leads Gilbert + Tobin’s Technology + Digital group and is a member of Gilbert + Tobin’s Board of partners.
Tim focuses on information technology, telecommunications and broadcasting matters, such as outsourcing, systems integration, cloud and payment system arrangements, and other complex contracting matters generally. Tim also advises on related regulatory issues, particularly privacy and data.
Tim’s experience includes advising:
- A range of clients on their outsourcing arrangements generally, including two of Australia’s big-four banks, a large Australian superannuation fund, Perpetual, The Travel Corporation and Carnival.
- IOOF on its $975m acquisition of ANZ’s wealth management business, including in relation to the 20 year strategic alliance agreement between IOOF and ANZ.
- The NSW Government on the $2.6b privatisation of the State’s land titling registry.
- BPAY in relation to Osko, the first overlay service to be provided on Australia’s New Payments Platform. This included developing the associated scheme rules. Tim has also separately acted for eftpos and AusPayNet.
- The ABC for many years in relation to the broadcaster’s national transmission services agreements with Broadcast Australia.
- Sydney Water and (separately) NSW Police in the outsourcing of all of their telecommunications services.
- The NSW Government in its procurement and ongoing contract management for the Opal public transport ticketing system.
- The NSW Government on the replacement of the Government radio network and (separately) NSW Ambulance on a range of radio and data communication systems.
- CBA, Westpac, ANZ and NAB in the negotiation by these big-four banks with PEXA for participation in the national e conveyancing scheme.
- A big-four Australian bank and Credit Union Australia on the procurement of new core banking systems.
Tim’s privacy and data experience includes:
- assisting organisations to assess and comply with their privacy obligations, particularly businesses in highly regulated industries such as financial services or healthcare, or businesses undertaking new and innovative marketing activities; this includes advising on federal, state and health-records legislation; and
- advising on privacy-related issues in a transactional context. Such transactions include cloud computing and other offshoring arrangements, data sharing and analytics arrangements, M&A, insolvencies and complex transactions generally; and advising on privacy failures and data breach issues, including on reporting obligations to, and investigations conducted by, privacy regulators.
Awards and Recognition
Tim was recognised for TMT: Information Technology.
Tim was recognised as a leading individual in the IT and Telecoms category.
Tim was recognised in Information Technology Law, Outsourcing Law, Privacy and Data Security and Telecommunications Law categories.
Chambers has described Tim as having “extreme attention to detail and technology knowledge, and a fantastic manner when it comes to negotiation and presentation. He is completely thorough, and very engaging”.