Dominic Emmett and Alexandra Whitby have recently authored the Australia chapter in the International Comparative Legal Guide to: Corporate Recovery & Insolvency 2017.
Restructuring and Insolvency
The ability to provide timely commercial advice, guidance and support is our strength. Our Restructuring + Insolvency group works closely with our Corporate Advisory, Banking + Infrastructure and Litigation teams to ensure our clients receive a seamless service that meets their requirements and provides the best solution.
Our Restructuring + Insolvency group is dynamic and valued for its pragmatic, commercial and partner–led service. The team has been awarded the Australasian Law Awards Insolvency and Restructuring Deal of the Year award for the last five years.
We have extensive experience advising and acting in relation to disputes and applications arising in restructures and workouts, voluntary administrations, liquidations and receiverships.
We advise banks, borrowers, investors and directors, as well as many leading insolvency practitioners in relation to all types of insolvency administrations. We also regularly advise and act for creditors, directors, lenders and investors facing issues arising from corporate insolvency including insolvent trading claims and actions in relation to insolvent transactions.
Dominic Emmett who heads the group has been consistently ranked as one of Australia’s leading insolvency and restructuring lawyers in major legal directories including Chambers Global.
The depth of the team has been increased with the appointment of Peter Bowden in late 2017.
- Restructuring and workouts
- Distressed debt investing
- Corporate distress
- Voluntary administrations, liquidations and receiverships
- Disputes and applications arising in relation to all of the above
- Gilbert + Tobin won Insolvency & Restructuring Deal of the Year at both the 2018 + 2017 Australasian Law Awards for the Arrium Group restructuring.
- Gilbert + Tobin won Australian Deal of the Year at the 2018 Australasian Law Awards for the Arrium Group restructuring.
- Gilbert + Tobin awarded ‘Restructuring Law - Law Firm of the Year in Australia’ from the 2018 Corporate Intl Magazine Global Award.
- Gilbert + Tobin won Insolvency & Restructuring – Law Firm of the Year - Australia - 2017 Finance Monthly Law Awards.
- Gilbert + Tobin won Corporate Recovery & Insolvency – Law Firm of the Year - Australia, Lawyer Monthly Legal Awards 2017.
- Gilbert + Tobin won Insolvency & Restructuring Deal of the Year at the 2016 Australasian Law Awards for the Atlas Iron Restructure.
- Gilbert + Tobin won Insolvency & Restructuring Deal of the Year at the 2015 Australasian Law Awards for the Mirabela restructure and recapitalisation.