Lloyd is an experienced projects, construction and transactional M&A energy specialist, having advised on market-leading projects across Australia, Africa and the Indo-Pacific regions in the past 23 years. He presently advises sponsors, contractors, engineers, financiers and investors across a broad range of energy-related and mining infrastructure projects, with a particular focus on clean and renewable energy, the incremental hybridisation of energy systems and the transition toward clean energy (including solar, onshore and offshore wind) and medium and long-term energy storage solutions and offtake arrangements across various industries.
Llloyd's experience includes advising:
- Advising Vast Solar on its joint venture in the Aurora Solar project near Port Augusta in South Australia, including advising on its innovative concentrated solar power storage technology, the development of a Battery Energy Storage System (BESS) of up to 140 MW, a 70MW solar photo-voltaic array and a Thermal Energy Storage System pilot.
- Advising Foresight Group on its acquisition of a majority interest in the Ginan Solar Portfolio, comprising 16 operational solar sites in Victoria with exclusive rights to develop a further 25 solar projects across NSW. This marks ICG’s first investment in operating solar assets and provides an opportunity for direct entry into the green hydrogen market.
- Advising Syrah Resources on its hybrid plant to assist with the powering of the Balama graphite operation located including in relation to the construction, installation, commissioning and 10-year operation of a solar and BESS hybrid power plant at Balama.
- Advising Foresight Group in relation to the acquisition, development and commercialisation of various clean energy generation and hybrid storage projects.
- Advising Elecnor on Project Energy Connect, the construction of a new 900km electricity transmission line that will connect the South Australia and New South Wales districts of the National Electricity Market in Australia.
- Advising Pilbara Solar in relation to battery energy offtake arrangements with Horizon Power and in relation to the feasibility and development of a solar farm and BESS hybrid solution in conjunction with an Aboriginal corporation in Western Australia, including advising on the relevant EPC and O&M terms.
- Advising New Century Resources Limited on its successful A$180 million refinancing of existing environmental rehabilitation bonds.
- Advising the State of Papua New Guinea and its national petroleum company, Kumul Petroleum, on negotiations with ExxonMobil (as operator) and its joint venture partners in respect of the multi-billion dollar development of the P’nyang gas field, including a third train alongside the existing US$19 billion PNG LNG project.
- Advising a confidential OEM in relation to the development of compressed air storage systems, thermal storage systems and gravity storage technologies.
- Advising a bidder in relation to the acquisition of Basslink and the restructuring of its electricity hedging arrangements.
- Advising Coca-Cola Europacific partners in relation to the coal royalties stemming from the Rolleston and Meteor Downs South Mines in Queensland.
- Advising BlackRock Mining in relation to procurement and construction works for its Mahenge graphite mining project in Tanzania.
- Advising De Grey Mining on the construction, development and energisation of its Hemi Gold mine.
- Advising EMR Capital in relation to its majority shareholding in, and financing of, Lubambe Copper in Zambia.
- Advising DEVELOP in relation to their mining services agreements.
- Advising confidential funders in relation to the acquisition of various large coal mines in Queensland and New South Wales.
- Advising Abra Mining in the drafting of their underground mining services agreement.
- Advising Westgold in relation to certain key mining operational agreements.
- Advising the PowAR Consortium (comprising Queensland Investment Corporation (QIC), the Future Fund and AGL Energy) on the $3 billion take private of Tilt Renewables.
- Advising Beach Energy on the A$1.585 billion acquisition of Lattice Energy from Origin Energy, including A$1.475 billion in new senior secured syndicated debt facilities.
- Advising Kumul Petroleum in relation to its participation in the development of the Pasca A gas fields, Papua New Guinea.
- Advising Jemena on its gas transportation arrangements and pipeline construction agreement in relation to the Port Kembla LNG import terminal.
- Acting for Meridian Energy Australia in relation to its Hume dam hydro power storage project.
- Acting for the State of Papua New Guinea in relation to the Porgera mine project.
- Advising Cape York Partnerships on its hydrogen projects in Cape York.
- Structured Glencore’s African copper mining operations and advised on their construction projects within this sector of their business.
- Drafting Royal Bafokeng Platinum’s general capital procurement mine construction contracts (including design construct, O&M, decommissioning), all of which are bespoke contracts utilizing FIDIC-principles.
- Drafted the first African NEC Alliance Agreement for Palabora Copper Mining.
- Acting for African Panther Resources AG and Noble Resources AG in drafting their long and short term offtake agreements in relation to tin and tungsten East Africa (namely Uganda and Rwanda) and Nigeria; advising on the financing agreements and the security arrangements in relation to those operations.
- Advising numerous consortia in relation to their bids in South Africa’s Renewable Energy Independent Power Producer Procurement Programme between 2011 and 2016, involving structuring of consortia, drafting of EPC and O&Ms, and PPPs with Eskom.
- Advising Eskom, South Africa’s power utility, in relation to licensing, contracting, construction and procurement for its Kusile and Medupi coal-fired power stations.
- Advising Tongaat Hulett Limited in relation to their new Mozambican sugar plant, drafting tendering documents, EPC and EPCM agreements and related contracts; and waste biofuels project.
- Advising Glencore on the establishment of their Tweefontein mining operations, including the drafting of all EPC, mining and contractor agreements, construction agreements, supply agreements and general procurement agreements.
- Advising Glencore Operations on the construction of a Water Treatment Facility, including the drafting of all agreements required in order to establish the plant.
- Advising Debswana Diamond Mining Company in Botswana on various aspects of its business and operations, including its construction projects at its three diamond mines in southern Botswana.
- Providing commercial advice to a number of large international engineering companies, AECOM, Aurecon and Hatch, in Africa on their mining-related work and projects.
- Advising International Marine Services (Mauritius) on the construction of its fuel bunker in the Mauritius harbour.
Awards and Recognition
In 2019 was listed as a stand-out lawyer with the independently-rated “Acritas Star” listing and was named a “Leading Lawyer” in the infrastructure area.
Lloyd was listed as a “Best Lawyer” in South Africa for 2019.
Our expertise and solutions
for generating cleaner, greener futures
Read our analysis of Australian public mergers & acquisitions in 2022
Demand for sustainable practices is driving change across corporate Australia, find out the latest industry insights and decarbonising opportunities.