In Australia and internationally, impact investments provide means for investors to generate financial returns while also generating positive social outcomes. Impact investing now spans sectors including aged care, the arts, community development, health, employment, housing, biodiversity, water use, renewable energy, sustainable agriculture and international development.
As part of our broader firm commitment to being an outstanding Australian corporate citizen, Gilbert + Tobin uses its expertise in corporate transactions and finance to be a leading participant in Australia in the impact investing sector. We work with institutional investors, fund managers, private equity firms, banks and intermediaries, to build strong partnerships and meaningful outcomes in the impact sector.
Highlighted deals include:
- Advsing KKR on its investment in GreenCollar, a leading Australian environmental markets business. This is the first Australian investment by KKR’s US$1.3 billion Global Impact Fund.
- Advising J.P. Morgan as the sole lead manager and underwriter of Charter Hall Social Infrastructure REIT's $100 million institutional placement.
- Advised the Fred Hollows Foundation on its social enterprise project that will build eye hospitals in developing countries, with a view to achieving its vision of eliminating avoidable blindness globally.
- Advising Goodstart Childcare Limited on its A$165 million acquisition of the ABC Learning Childcare business and arranging the debt financing for that acquisition including senior and mezzanine debt facilities and the issue of Social Capital notes. This deal remains one of the highest profile, at scale impact investment transactions ever conducted in Australia.
- Advising The Benevolent Society on the redemption of their 7 year Social Impact Bond.
- Advising a number of private capital fund managers on fund establishment and direct equity impact investment.
- Advising Tilt Renewables in connection with the financing of Dundonnell Wind Farm, which benefits from an offtake agreement from the Victorian government under the Victorian Government Renewable Energy Auction Scheme.
- Advising Veolia Australia as the proposed operator for the Kwinana waste to energy facility in Western Australia, the first of its type in Australia.
- Advising Koala in relation to multiple fundraising rounds.
- The establishment of Nexus Initiative, a not-for-profit advisory and originator business.