Power + Renewables
Our multi-disciplinary team includes regulatory, infrastructure, finance and corporate specialists who all have deep experience advising on Australia’s most complex energy market transactions and projects. Our partners and lawyers are deeply connected in the energy industry, government and the business community in Australia.
We have recently worked on several solar and wind farm projects around the country. We have also worked on projects involving some of the more recent developments in the energy space, including battery storage and behind-the-meter projects.
Our services include:
Our team’s mix of project development, financing, corporate and regulatory experience enables us to advise on the entire lifecycle of energy projects including:
- Early stage considerations such as business and joint venture structuring.
- Planning, environmental and regulatory approvals and land tenure arrangements (including native title issues).
- Project financing.
- Construction, procurement, power purchase and other commercial contracts.
- The acquisition or disposal of development or completed projects.
- Structuring investments in renewable energy related funds.
Our experience includes advising:
- FRV on the structuring and development, and the subsequent sale, of its 24MW Royalla Solar Project, the largest project of its kind in Australia.
- National Australia Bank Limited and Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation as financiers to Fotowatio Renewable Ventures, funding the multimillion-dollar construction of the Clare Solar Farm project.
- RATCH on all aspects of the development of the 180 MW Collector wind farm in New South Wales and the 200 MW Mt Emerald Wind Farm.
- NSW Treasury on the Network Electricity Reform Program involving the integration of the three NSW electricity distributors, Essential Energy, Endeavour Energy and Ausgrid.
- GDF Suez on its proposed acquisition of an international portfolio of renewable and non-renewable independent power projects in Asia and Africa.
- Balkanu Pty Ltd on its proposed 100MW Archer Point Windfarm project with Denham Capital, including the establishment of a 30km transmission line to grid connection.
- Meridian Energy (Australia) on its entry into long term Power Purchase Agreements with the Crudine Ridge Wind Farm, Salt Creek Wind Farm and Kiamal Solar Farm projects.
- Ausnet on the development, structuring and operation of a ‘behind-the-meter’ commercial and industrial roof-top solar PPA business in Australia.
- AC Energy (A wholly owned subsidiary of Ayala) on its acquisition of a 50% stake in the Australian business of UPC Renewables (a developer of wind and solar projects in Australia, including the 1,000 MW Robbins Island project in Tasmania).
- Jemena on the development, structuring and operation of a ‘behind-the-meter’ commercial and industrial roof-top solar PPA business in Australia.
- UBS Infrastructure Fund and REST Super TRUST Acting on the acquisition and project financing of the 206 MW, $740 million Collgar Wind Farm; at the time Western Australia’s largest renewable energy project.
- Tilt Renewables on the financing of the Salt Creek wind farm, a 55MW project in south west Victoria.
- Alinta Energy in relation to tenure, land access and approval matters generally, and in respect of their power transmission infrastructure in the Pilbara, Western Australia, including for the Roy Hill Project.
- Engie on swap arrangements with Origin Energy relating to the Pelican Point power station in South Australia, under which Origin supplies gas to Pelican Point and ENGIE provides power to Origin (to supply South Australian customers).
- The financiers to the Synergy Renewable Fund in relation to the financing of various solar and wind development projects.